How Far To Keep My T5 From My Clones?

• Thread starter meyer lansky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
meyer lansky

meyer lansky

hey i have a 120 power cloner with about 80 clones filled up in the Botinicare power cloner, i have a 4' 8 light T5, i planted the 80 clones yesterday and put the the 4' 8 light T5 about 3-4 inches away from the top of the baby clones, i woke up today and the clones seem to curling up alittle bit and there not standing up straight, so i read a few things online from this forum and some people say if it has over 20-30 clones you should keep the T5 about 1-2 feet away from the top of the baby clones, so i just raised it to about a foot.

Anyone have any idea what i should do? do you think i messed up the clones already for keeping the T5 so close to the light over night or should i just raise the T5 higher? and if so how high should i raise it too? i am also keeping the light on 24 hrs, also i set my ph to 5.5, should i keep my eye on the ph if it goes above 6 should i use ph down to 5.5?

please let me know what you guys think, if i screwed up the clones because the T5 was so close overnight or should i just keep them raised to about 1 foot above the top of the baby clones?

here is a pic of this morning before i raised them to a 1 foot higher

Thanks
How far to keep my t5 from my clones
How far to keep my t5 from my clones 2

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
hey i have a 120 power cloner with about 80 clones filled up in the Botinicare power cloner, i have a 4' 8 light T5, i planted the 80 clones yesterday and put the the 4' 8 light T5 about 3-4 inches away from the top of the baby clones, i woke up today and the clones seem to curling up alittle bit and there not standing up straight, so i read a few things online from this forum and some people say if it has over 20-30 clones you should keep the T5 about 1-2 feet away from the top of the baby clones, so i just raised it to about a foot.

Anyone have any idea what i should do? do you think i messed up the clones already for keeping the T5 so close to the light over night or should i just raise the T5 higher? and if so how high should i raise it too? i am also keeping the light on 24 hrs, also i set my ph to 5.5, should i keep my eye on the ph if it goes above 6 should i use ph down to 5.5?

please let me know what you guys think, if i screwed up the clones because the T5 was so close overnight or should i just keep them raised to about 1 foot above the top of the baby clones?

here is a pic of this morning before i raised them to a 1 foot higher

Thanks
View attachment 673845 View attachment 673846

Clones don't need a lot of light just some warmth.

T5 lighting produces more heat than people suggest. I toasted a few flowers with them.

Clones have no roots so a lot of water is lost and gained from the leaves. If you had a humidity dome it would help.

But since you don't to reduce transpiration you just gotta raise the light. The heat being produced from the light will stop. Affecting them.

Normally vegging plants with established root systems do best with t5 lamps 2-5 inches above the canopy.

But for you the raised lights will do the trick.

meyer lansky

meyer lansky

Clones don't need a lot of light just some warmth.

T5 lighting produces more heat than people suggest. I toasted a few flowers with them.

Clones have no roots so a lot of water is lost and gained from the leaves. If you had a humidity dome it would help.

But since you don't to reduce transpiration you just gotta raise the light. The heat being produced from the light will stop. Affecting them.

Normally vegging plants with established root systems do best with t5 lamps 2-5 inches above the canopy.

But for you the raised lights will do the trick.

Hey rmoltis,

Thank you so much for your reply, i greatly appreciate it, so from the pictures you dont think i ruined them after keeping so close over night? i put them in last night before i went to bed, and when i woke up they looked like that (in the pictures i uploaded) so i just got back from work a couple of hours ago and i raised the light to 1 foot above the tallest clone, do you think i am still good with it? or did i mess them up? and about how far away do you think is reasonable to keep the my 4' 8 bulb T5? 1 foot is good? or higher? and i didnt screw them up right? (from looking at the pictures)

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hey rmoltis,

Thank you so much for your reply, i greatly appreciate it, so from the pictures you dont think i ruined them after keeping so close over night? i put them in last night before i went to bed, and when i woke up they looked like that (in the pictures i uploaded) so i just got back from work a couple of hours ago and i raised the light to 1 foot above the tallest clone, do you think i am still good with it? or did i mess them up? and about how far away do you think is reasonable to keep the my 4' 8 bulb T5? 1 foot is good? or higher? and i didnt screw them up right? (from looking at the pictures)

Since you can't raise the humidity is say it's just them not used to missing roots. They dry out a bit.

I would spray them with a mister every so often to feed them the moisture they need.

Or I'd add a humidity top to them.

But they should be good if you take care of em. They are not ruined yet.

m8ty

m8ty

Can you turn off some of the bulbs on that 8 light unit? Clones w/ no roots don't need that many watts of light, prolly be fine with two light tubes on the cuttings about 18 inches from the tops...

hiboy

hiboy

Only turn the 2 middle lights and keep them 24" away minimum
Keep that dome on with side vents open
Hb

meyer lansky

meyer lansky

Since you can't raise the humidity is say it's just them not used to missing roots. They dry out a bit.

I would spray them with a mister every so often to feed them the moisture they need.

Or I'd add a humidity top to them.

But they should be good if you take care of em. They are not ruined yet.

i actually raised the T5 to about 14 inches over the top of the plants and i added a humidifier that sprays mist towards them, i think that should do it?

thanks for your help.

1 thing i wanted to mention is that i was adjusting the ph just now, bc for some reason it went up to 6.5 since i setup the cloner yesterday and adjusted it yesterday to 5.5, so anyway while adding a few drop of ph down to the cloner i opened the hood where the clones are planted in the collars, and i seen a couple of the stems already have tiny white roots coming out of it, when i mean tiny, like little white hairs i can see already and it hasnt even been 24 hours, i guess dip and grow really works well :)

meyer lansky

meyer lansky

Can you turn off some of the bulbs on that 8 light unit? Clones w/ no roots don't need that many watts of light, prolly be fine with two light tubes on the cuttings about 18 inches from the tops...

hey m8ty,

my 4' 8 bulb T5 i actually have 2 on/off switches, the 1st one is for every other 4 bulbs and the 2nd one is for all 8, so you would suggest me turning off 4 of them? (so every other bulb would be lit) which is 4 instead of the total 8? the thing is its a 180 cloner and its wide so i would wonder if i should keep all 8 lights on and just raise it higher, or do a few of you use suggest just turning 4 out of 8 on (every other 4 bulbs turn on) and how far should i raise it from the top of the clones?

meyer lansky

meyer lansky

Only turn the 2 middle lights and keep them 24" away minimum
Keep that dome on with side vents open
Hb

hey hiboy

i dont have a a dome. its a 180 botanicare power cloner so it doesnt come with a dome and i dont have a dome that big, but i basically raised the T5 to about 16" from the top of the clones and put a humidifier mister on towards the clones, i think that should do it.

anything think i should just turn on 4 out of the 8 lights or keep all 8 lights on and raise it how much?

hiboy

hiboy

I just switched from cubes to cloner and just did all of this a month ago you need to get a Dome you can buy one online Google it
Raise your light more you will stunt them

You need the dome 100% if you want a 100% success rate and that's what I got I use no nutrients at all in the water. Just keep your pH above 5 1/2 and below six
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

I just switched from cubes to cloner and just did all of this a month ago you need to get a Dome you can buy one online Google it
Raise your light more you will stunt them

You need the dome 100% if you want a 100% success rate and that's what I got I use no nutrients at all in the water. Just keep your pH above 5 1/2 and below six
Hb
Google botanicare 180 dome
I've seen them before n there not too much $

Hb

Top Bottom