How i start seeds...

• Thread starter wonderinalice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wonderinalice

wonderinalice

Just wanted to give a run down on how i start seeds. I have had very good results with this method, so i thought i would share it.

Start with the water..
I use tap water...Let it sit for 2 days (to remove chlorine).
I then boil the water for about 5 minutes.
Let cool, adjust my ph... i go for 6.3
Soak seeds overnight.....i put them in something that gets no light and has a top. And i put them on top of my floro's used for veg. To add some heat.
Store remaining water (that you boiled) in a dark place

Medium..
I use plain ol jiffyplugs.
Soak them in the water till fluffy.
Drain off excess water. Then use a tooth pick to loosen up the medium.
Plant seeds just below surface and cover with just enough medium to stop the light from hitting the seed and keep it moist. (no more than quarter inch).
Then i like to put them in styro cups ( so i can label, and keep notes)
Place cups back on top of floro for heat.
I usually see babies in two days!!

Maintenance...
I keep them up there for 3-4 days before i move under the floro light.
And water with an eye dropper when needed.

Just germinated 15 seeds and 14 popped. not bad!
Hope this helps someone same some money or time.
Here's some pics!

How i start seeds
How i start seeds 2
How i start seeds 3
How i start seeds 4
T

TheGanjaMan

Sounds like a great technique, very close to how i do it. From your pics it looks like the tap roots are growin out towards the light ( no offense ), maybe you put em in upside down? other than that everything looks and sounds great bud. Thanks for posting this, I know it is going to help alot of new growers.

TGM

P

PureSugar

How can you tell the tap root is growing the toward the light?

Sounds like a great technique, very close to how i do it. From your pics it looks like the tap roots are growin out towards the light ( no offense ), maybe you put em in upside down? other than that everything looks and sounds great bud. Thanks for posting this, I know it is going to help alot of new growers.

TGM

S

SkyHi

How can you tell the tap root is growing the toward the light?

I see it too. it looks like a bean sprout lol .look at the top pics, it either looks like the first set of leaves havent opened up, or, the taproot is growing up towards the light

A

afatsoweezer

i'd bet it's the stem without the first set of leaves.

nice germ method, alice.

S

SkyHi

Nah man zooom in on the pic !!! i feel so stupid lol....those are toooth pics next to the seedlings LMAO!!!! its just the seedlings are dark and blend in with the soild hahahaha

D

dailychronic

this method works good and is basically what I use. I find heat to be a huge factor in the speed of germination. I normally put the cups I use near my computer exhaust if I want the seeds to pop faster. Using this method I have had a tap root in 24 hours and then planted in jiffy and popping out of the jiffy in another 24, mind you this is the best of circumstances and normally it takes 36 hours for the seed to pop and another 48 to grow out of the jiffy pellets. Styrofoam cups are better than plastic cups because they they are easier to cut open to transplant than plastic.

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

Toothpicks it is.....just to mark which germinated first ... I had no idea what everyone was talking about ...lol :mysterymachine: But thanks for all the positive feed back....Had to transplant today...roots going nut's with the added heat!

Latest posts

Top Bottom