How important is following VPD

• Thread starter Omaha101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Omaha101

By following a VPD chart and reading the plant, is seems like the humidity is too high. I've just started Veg and the leaves droop just a bit and I'm getting a little condensation on the inside of the tent. The plant seems to look better/normal when the VPD is running at 1.20-1.30. Is this normal or, what are some thoughts on this? Thanks-

O

Omaha101

I actually have some mold on the fabric pot.... Could I just transplant to a different pot?

Natep

Natep

yes you can. But fabric pots are pretty hard to get the plant out of. I would make sure I up size about 2 gallons

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
VPD is dumb IMO, you end up keeping your humidity way too high because of it, I abandoned it a long time ago and have had violent growth without it so I could care less about VPD anymore. Focus on the basics if you are new, you won't be some master grower after your first few grows, take your time learning and then down the line when you are literally bored because it is so dialed in, then tinker with more advanced stuff ✌️

Newty

Newty

As said, worry about temp and humidity.
Additional equipment for cooling, heating, humdifing, and dehumidifying, etc and the ability to control your lung room needs to be on point.
If you have high humidity, you need to lower your temps in order to stay at a lower humidity to stay at the VPD you want.
I don't control VPD but I watch my VPD and have grown several times with VPD in the 1.4-1.8 from veg to flower with zero plant issues, great yield, and great potency.
I never see the need to try and control VPD directly because I'm happy with how my crop finishes.
I notice my VPD levels are more in the recommend range during the warmer months and further out of range in the colder months.

Also you need to know your Leaf Temperature Offset in order to calculate VPD correctly.
This will require an accurate IR Temp gun with the correct emissivity setting.

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
By following a VPD chart and reading the plant, is seems like the humidity is too high. I've just started Veg and the leaves droop just a bit and I'm getting a little condensation on the inside of the tent. The plant seems to look better/normal when the VPD is running at 1.20-1.30. Is this normal or, what are some thoughts on this? Thanks-
I'm not sure why some folks reject using VPD and favor temperature and humidity when VPD is nothing more than a way to interpret temperature and humidity. Oh, well. The VPD chart is a useful guide, but isn't a replacement for reading the plants.

Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) has nothing to do with condensation (when the air is saturated with water) or soil moisture. It is a measure of leaf moisture compared to air moisture. The difference between the two affects how much a plant transpires. When the RH is low, a plant will transpire more. When the RH is high, a plant will transpire less. Thus, RH and transpiration rate are in an inverse relationship. VPD changes that to a direct relationship. So, as VPD increases, transpiration increases.

Transpiration is the process of the plant moving water and nutrients from the roots to the leaves. It happens because fluids move from areas of high concentration (the leaves) to areas of low concentration (the air). Therefore, by manipulating the difference, we manipulate the rate of transporting nutrients and thus we can manipulate the plant's growth rate. There's an optimal range, however, and that varies by the life stage of the plant.

My controllers calculate VPD, so I usually look at that first. Then I'll look at the temperature and humidity, especially if the VPD is out of the optimal range. That to me happened yesterday. The VPD rose to 1.40 kPa. The humidity was okay, but the temperature wasn't. The lung room was too hot, and the exhaust fans were useless for cooling. It was a hot day. I was out of town, so the only thing I could do to lower the VPD was to raise the humidity.

For example:

The VPD is low in the first two because the lights are off. Those two tents are in flower mode. The last tent is in vegetation mode and the light has been on for an hour and a half. They've all been watered recently.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
At the end of the day, VPD is little more than another tool in a grower's tool box.

Top Bottom