How Important Is Reflection

• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
For flowering I'm using a 4x4 tent. I've been considering switching to a different system. I've got a 13x20' room that has a veg tent a flower tent and a mother/clone area. What I'm thinking is doing away with the flower tent and just hanging lights from ceiling and using 2x4s and a tarp to make a tray to keep water off floor. How much does having those reflective walls a tally help?

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Thanks. Any numbers? I was under impression only like 5% of light in a tent was reflected. And that just as distance reduced light reflection reduced it quite a bit. But then I get a lot of that stuff mixed up. My mind doesn't keep facts straight like it used too.
I guess I knew I wasn't gonna get away with a shortcut. :(

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
OK how about this? Hang some mylar or white poly around it similar to a shower curtain. That would reflect a substantial amount and still be super quick and easy to move and get at plants. I have substantial physical limitations that make it difficult for me to get to some of my plants.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I have used styrofoam boards from homedepot before. They are 4x8 or 2x4 and light as a feather. They fade after a while so I added astrofoil/Mylar to the light side after a bit of use. Might be good for somebody with physical limitations. I drilled and rivoted two holes in the corners and hung them from hooks. Let them hang, and when I needed to remove I just unhooked them and set them off to the side. Ghetto maybe, but much better than letting light loose.

R

rascali

Ya know, if you're relying on reflected light to contribute in any way to vigorous and productive growth you're gonna be barking up some small tree! Think about it, the light has to traverse all the way from the bulb to the wall, then reflect off an imperfect surface and then shoot all the way over to some leaf. If you've played pool, you can also see that the angles only benefit the lower weak foliage anyway, where is the benefit in that? Our generations fool's gold...

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

+

+

+
Wallpaper
=
Room shrinking secret grow, use hinges to attach it to the ceiling and you can raise it like an old time garage door and prop it up with a stick. A few pieces of felt or something taped to floor and walls would make it light proof.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You could glue the boards to the foam insulation and it would be so light you could just carry it.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Ya know, if you're relying on reflected light to contribute in any way to vigorous and productive growth you're gonna be barking up some small tree! Think about it, the light has to traverse all the way from the bulb to the wall, then reflect off an imperfect surface and then shoot all the way over to some leaf. If you've played pool, you can also see that the angles only benefit the lower weak foliage anyway, where is the benefit in that? Our generations fool's gold...

Your wrong. Crank up a light in a room painted with black paint. Then start the same light in a room with all white paint. You tell me it's fools gold.

I play pool all the time. Difference is a pool ball is traveling at 10mph and hits two or three walls. Light is traveling at 180000 miles a second, and bounces off thousands of walls before the light is lost. No doubt in my mind, its a must.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

You are SO wrong my friend,the only light energy lost is the small amount absorbed into wall surfaces as heat.Light travels the universe without shedding much energy at all so to the wall and back to your plant is easy peasy.Are the reflectors on your fixtures/lamps fools gold?How about solar panels on your roof?Light is energy and its what grows plants,it costs money in electricity to produce so why waste it?

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

When I first began playing indoors, for the walls we used the glossy white backside of beer promo posters we got from the local beer distributor. It worked great, and was free.

As far as protecting the floor, go with pond liner its not cheap but works the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom