How Is My City Tap Water?

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Naturalx

Naturalx

Hey,

I'm getting ready to start my first grow. I don't know much about water. I know to adjust the ph and that I can gas off the chlorine. But my knowledge is extremely limited. So i'm looking for some experienced help. I have my city's water profile. I'm curious if I should just purchase filtered water or if my water looks good enough to you guys/gals to just gas off the chlorine by letting it sit out.

https://www.epcor.com/products-serv...reportsedmonton/wq-edmonton-december-2018.pdf

Dan789

Dan789

My take, if you can drink it without adverse reaction, the water should be OK to grow pot with. Don’t set up so many roadblocks that you won’t be able to do anything.
Join the “farm”, figure out what you want to grow, strain wise, where and how you’ll tend your plants, how you’ll deal with any odors. Get some pots/bags, get some soil, perlite, pop some seeds, begin. Keep track of what you do, note if anything affects your plants negatively, don’t repeat mistakes if possible, go from there. Start a grow diary, read what others have done before you...Good luck

Hempry

Hempry

Edmonton water is treated with chloramine, it pretty much won't gas or boil off. Our city uses it too, and I find it messes with microbes a bit, but lot's of people are growing with it with no problems. Though, they warn you to treat aquarium water first now. Main concerns are EC and pH in the end, like chemistry said. Yours is 7.4-8.2, nutes will bring that down a bit, but you may need to add pH down to get to 6.5-7 for soil. Really, I kind of prefer rainwater or RO... for me anyway. Your local grow shop guys can get you started right :cool:

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Sodium and Hardness (Ca) is really what you have to look out for. Looks fine as long as the total ppm isnt over like 150 or something. Don't jump on RO unless you need to. For every gal of RO you are usually putting 2 to 3 gals of water down the drain as waste. Not to mention stripping the traces just to spend money to put them back in.

If you are worried about full organic and microbes and all that. Highboy filters and things like those will strip the chlorine and leave everything else and are fairly cheap and have a high flow rate. If your arent worried about that or going salts use it strait out of the tap.

Top Bottom