How is RDWC having overwatering issues

• Thread starter KambleFrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KambleFrost

KambleFrost

What the hell is going on here?
This looks like overwatering but how?
I have 2 inches of space from net pot to water level.
Air stones are working...
Ph 5.8
Water is 65°F
Temps 77°F
RH 60%
Co2 1200ppm

How is rdwc having overwatering issues
How is rdwc having overwatering issues 2
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Try turning your fan down or not have it blowing directly on the plants.

Do your roots look good? What blend of nutrients are you using? What lux(Google play app) do the plants get?

Ponky

Ponky

Waters a bit cool. Canopy temps could be higher. Co2 and good light makes em hungry. Root health good?

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Waters a bit cool. Canopy temps could be higher. Co2 and good light makes em hungry. Root health good?
Roots a white a healthy, should I raise water temp a bit? Ambient temp reaches 80° from time to time.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Try turning your fan down or not have it blowing directly on the plants.

Do your roots look good? What blend of nutrients are you using? What lux(Google play app) do the plants get?
Roots look healthy and full.
musing GH FloraNova

using the MarsHydro FC-E3000 at 100% intensity
The top of the canopy is fine it’s foliage underneath that are showing these signs

Ponky

Ponky

Roots a white a healthy, should I raise water temp a bit? Ambient temp reaches 80° from time to time.
No. if you're dialed in at these temps it should be fine. A couple degrees more at the roots maybe. But no. Its good. Just on the cool side. They're looking pretty good. But with the CO2 it might help to go a bit higher is all.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

No. if you're dialed in at these temps it should be fine. A couple degrees more at the roots maybe. But no. Its good. Just on the cool side. They're looking pretty good. But with the CO2 it might help to go a bit higher is all.
Will excessive CO2 cause these issues if the heat isn’t higher?

Ponky

Ponky

Will excessive CO2 cause these issues if the heat isn’t higher?
It usually won't. But the food, light, atmosphere ratio is better in balance. And the root and canopy differential might cause slightly weird leaves. The CO2 won't do its thing without the extra light and heat. Water at 68f would hold maximum oxygen. And canopy in the 77 to 81 range would be ideal. But there are charts. I just can't off the top of my head think of one. It gives you temperature adjustments suitable to the 1200 ppm CO2. So you get maximum benefit. I know someone here knows the chart I'm talking about. And I guess water does absord CO2 and can in theory cause acidity. But I don't think it's an issue small scale.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You can use an temperature gun to get your leaf temps up to 77. With your water being cool, and the bubbles pushing your cool air up through the plant, I dont imagine your leaf temps will be close to 77. I cant explain why 77 is ideal yet, I just know others here can.

As for your root temperature, I like 72 water temps, yet you will find out real quick how well your system handles the quicker growth of everything.

You have a 12 degree gap in root temperature and air temp. I cant argue how that matters, I just know I keep my root temps at 72 and my air temps at 77, which is only 5 degrees difference. I dont use C02, but I will within the year.

The Nova series is also pretty thick, more for drip use in coco. That said, you dont seem to have a nutrient problem so its good to know it works in active systems, ill jot that down real quick lol. . .1 less bottle to deal with right.

So live or sterile, if you chose to raise your water temps, which I think everyone here is going to reccomened, you will get more fungus growth on your roots. You will need bacteria or chemicles to combat this.

Ponky

Ponky

77F is ideal at ambient CO2 levels. With the CO2 you can push that as high as 85. Even more. Making for greater growth. More nutrient uptake. And the water needs to hold a certain oxygen saturation. And needs to stay below 70. 72 is pushing it. 68 is about ideal. But you really need the charts.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

You can use an temperature gun to get your leaf temps up to 77. With your water being cool, and the bubbles pushing your cool air up through the plant, I dont imagine your leaf temps will be close to 77. I cant explain why 77 is ideal yet, I just know others here can.

As for your root temperature, I like 72 water temps, yet you will find out real quick how well your system handles the quicker growth of everything.

You have a 12 degree gap in root temperature and air temp. I cant argue how that matters, I just know I keep my root temps at 72 and my air temps at 77, which is only 5 degrees difference. I dont use C02, but I will within the year.

The Nova series is also pretty thick, more for drip use in coco. That said, you dont seem to have a nutrient problem so its good to know it works in active systems, ill jot that down real quick lol. . .1 less bottle to deal with right.

So live or sterile, if you chose to raise your water temps, which I think everyone here is going to reccomened, you will get more fungus growth on your roots. You will need bacteria or chemicles to combat this.
I was using FloraTrio first micro grow and bloom
Ran out and got this instead, one less bottle lmfao

I use a cooler water temp to prevent algae and Pythium
I raised the chillers setting to 68°

HOWEVER I’m also using pool shock as a sterile additive within the water, mixed 1gram/gal of RO water
Adding 1ML/gal every 4 ish days into the system.
Could this be the issue?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

HOWEVER I’m also using pool shock as a sterile additive within the water, mixed 1gram/gal of RO water
Could this be the issue?
Ill let the guys familiar with sterile systems help ya. I shouldnt be telling sterile people to raise their temps lol. . .I dont know how to troubleshoot pythium in sterile systems. I just pour in my hydroguard and run 72 temps no chiller ;)

Ponky

Ponky

Could this be the issue?
I sterilize with hydrogen peroxide. It's simple and forgiving. And cheap. I add 60 ml per pale. If the shelf strength. Horticultural peroxide is 35%. But if you splash in your eye you're blind. It's super cheap. Very dangerous on skin and eyes. But yes the pool shock could cause an issue. Bleach and peroxide don't mix. One or the other. Have to gas off most of the chlorine based stuff before using peroxide. But it's not looking bad. So it could be just fine. Not sure if a compound would accumulate or not with pool shock.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

I sterilize with hydrogen peroxide. It's simple and forgiving. And cheap. I add 60 ml per pale. If the shelf strength. Horticultural peroxide is 35%. But if you splash in your eye you're blind. It's super cheap. Very dangerous on skin and eyes. But yes the pool shock could cause an issue. Bleach and peroxide don't mix. One or the other. Have to gas off most of the chlorine based stuff before using peroxide. But it's not looking bad. So it could be just fine. Not sure if a compound would accumulate or not with pool shock.
Is the shock necessary if I’m running a chiller then? Realistically shock is to prevent bacteria but keeping my water temp at 66° should so the same no?

maybe switching to peroxide is best instead of shock, if I even need it to begin with.

Ponky

Ponky

Is the shock necessary if I’m running a chiller then? Realistically shock is to prevent bacteria but keeping my water temp at 66° should so the same no?

maybe switching to peroxide is best instead of shock, if I even need it to begin with.
I mean the temperature being 66 f allows for a greater amount of dissolved oxygen. So anaerobic bacteria doesn't colonize. But peroxide is cheap insurance. Technically you're good and shouldn't need sterilizing agents. But a little peroxide keeps root rot away. It would take a few days for your shock to gas off. Then you could switch. But it's a personal choice. Maybe the pool shock works just fine. You have in theory ideal root O2 levels. And supplemental CO2. So the plants working hard. Will quickly show deficiency if they occur. There is a formula for temperature and your CO2 levels. To maximize your value on the CO2. Right now your totally in the safe zone. And you might see explosive growth with just higher canopy temperatures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom