How is this even possible?!

• Thread starter chamullero420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chamullero420

chamullero420

Growing in Coco coir 3 gal fabric pots. Feeding twice daily with 1.4 EC PH 5.8. Runoff PH has been slowly creeping up over the last 2 weeks to the point that it is showing 7.1. Yesterday flushed with 10 litres of plain water PH'ed to 5.5. Then fed and measured runoff - Ph 7.2. WTAF! How is this possible? Does anyone have any insight into what is happening?

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

do not test and try to counter run off pH. its a sure way to disaster.
just worry about your input.
how do the plants look ?

chamullero420

chamullero420

do not test and try to counter run off pH. its a sure way to disaster.
just worry about your input.
how do the plants look ?
Thanks for your reply.

I know a lot of people say not to measure runoff but I'm trying to follow the method on cocoforcannabis.com, which is all about measuring runoff.

In either case, I just want to know, chemically, how this would even be possible...

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Thanks for your reply.

I know a lot of people say not to measure runoff but I'm trying to follow the method on cocoforcannabis.com, which is all about measuring runoff.

In either case, I just want to know, chemically, how this would even be possible...
cocoforcannabis AKA Dr Coco does not recommend checking run off pH
Your confusing that with EC which yes you should absolutley keep track of.
theres a million reasons why pH changes in the rootzone and you will never be able to know exactly why its changing and thats why its best not to look. just make sure your pH going in is correct.
how do the plants look ?

chamullero420

chamullero420

cocoforcannabis AKA Dr Coco does not recommend checking run off pH
Your confusing that with EC which yes you should absolutley keep track of.
theres a million reasons why pH changes in the rootzone and you will never be able to know exactly why its changing and thats why its best not to look. just make sure your pH going in is correct.
how do the plants look ?

You're right. It had been a while since I read it and I must have conflated those two ideas in my head.

The plants look ok, the new growth is a bit yellow but I think they were getting too much light so I have raised the light now.

The other "issue" throughout the entire grow has been that Dr. Coco says that the EC outflow will typically be higher than inflow, but I have consistently had the opposite. Outflow EC values lower than inflow.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

You're right. It had been a while since I read it and I must have conflated those two ideas in my head.

The plants look ok, the new growth is a bit yellow but I think they were getting too much light so I have raised the light now.

The other "issue" throughout the entire grow has been that Dr. Coco says that the EC outflow will typically be higher than inflow, but I have consistently had the opposite. Outflow EC values lower than inflow.
theres nothing wrong with having a lower ec out. it can simply be that your plant is healthy and eating well. also if your temps arent very high then the plant isnt drinking heavily and your not losing moisture to evaporation either. if its very low then you should consider raising your input a little. 0.3 either way is the typical tolerance. outside that is a call to action

Top Bottom