How long after the Solstice to the plants start budding?

• Thread starter Thatgirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thatgirl

I have 5 plants in my green house. I was just wondering about how long after the solstice do they start budding? Is it pretty immediate since they days are now getting shorter? Or do they need the dark time to be longer before they are triggered?

Blaze

Blaze

It is very strain dependent. Most plants will start to flower by early-mid august though when the light gets below 13.5 hours.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The beginning of August, give or take a week or 2 depending on latitude and the strain in the northern hemisphere.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've found that it's both photoperiod and strain dependent, as well as micro-climate and specific growing conditions all playing a role. Even just the shade of a tree, or having a plant in a smaller container vs in-ground or a large bed, all have an effect on speeding up onset of regenerative phase growth.

Generally, more shade equals longer onset of regenerative phase, larger space for root mass equals longer onset.

Generally, smaller container equals quicker onset of regenerative phase, longer, brighter and uninterrupted daylight photoperiod equals quicker onset of regenerative phase.

This is irrespective of strain; i.e. Sativa vs 'Indica' (or Afghani) dominance.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
solid answer seamaiden! I also find that the earlier I've put the plant out it does finish earlier than the same plant in same container planted a couple or few weeks later.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I've found that it's both photoperiod and strain dependent, as well as micro-climate and specific growing conditions all playing a role. Even just the shade of a tree, or having a plant in a smaller container vs in-ground or a large bed, all have an effect on speeding up onset of regenerative phase growth.

Generally, more shade equals longer onset of regenerative phase, larger space for root mass equals longer onset.

Generally, smaller container equals quicker onset of regenerative phase, longer, brighter and uninterrupted daylight photoperiod equals quicker onset of regenerative phase.

This is irrespective of strain; i.e. Sativa vs 'Indica' (or Afghani) dominance.

This is my first time hearing how the shade and container size effect outdoor flowering, I'm bout to do some homework on that, great info.

rollon

rollon

Some breeders are doing interesting work with auto-flowering plants . U could throw a few in ur greenhouse so u have early smoke while u wait for the rest to finish. peace

Chobble

Chobble

Some breeders are doing interesting work with auto-flowering plants . U could throw a few in ur greenhouse so u have early smoke while u wait for the rest to finish. peace

I have a Strawberry Cough x Lowryder Hybrid being worked out right now, 3 winter crops in my greenhouse sound pretty nice :D.

The general rule of thumb is ~ July 22nd here in California, obviously watch your plants because they'll tell you when they want to flower.

Good luck,
Chobble

Top Bottom