how long before a spidermite reinfestation?

• Thread starter Bearsfather
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bearsfather

If I shut down my grow, because of spider mites; how long will the room have to be empty, before I could start to grow again (in the same room) and not have a reinfestation ? I grow in soil. Thanks...

M

medicaluser700

pretty sure mites can overwinter which is kinda like hibernating. So you'd want to sterilize the room probably use a bug bomb or something to make sure they are all dead before starting back up.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Definitely, what he said ^^^^^ Don't trust a bomb exclusively, though. Clean and sterilize EVERYTHING, including vent hoods, ducting, etc. Then be sure to use preventative measures when you start back up. I recommend a rotation of Azamax and Sucrashield. I substitute the Sucrashield with a homemade brew of cinnamon, cloves, garlic, and italian seasoning that keeps them at bay, also. Peace

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Get Floramite and rock on right through the borg...unless your late in flower and then back up and punt..

Tex

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

A good cleaning is definitely in order. I like to use predatory nematodes in soil, and would recommend you do likewise. Careful relative humidity and temperature control are also helpful.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

es when you start back up. I recommend a rotation of Azamax and Sucrashield. I substitute the Sucrashield with a homemade brew of cinnamon, cloves, garlic, and italian seasoning that keeps them at bay, also. Peace

What's the recipe & dilution rate 'tude?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

What's the recipe & dilution rate 'tude?

Detailed instructions

Keep in mind this does not kill mites outright; they starve to death. Evidently it makes the plant taste so bad they can't stand it. :evilgrin0040:

1 gallon water (I use distilled by recommendation, not sure it's essential)
3 tbsp ground cloves
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp Italian seasoning
3 clusters (not cloves) fresh garlic

Buy the cheapest seasonings you can find (i grab 'em at the dollar store, except for the fresh garlic). Combine all ingredients in a suitable pot. Crush the garlic to release the oils. I add the skins and all, to save time. Peeling garlic is a pain. Bring the entire mixture just to a boil, and then simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. It will form a slimy sludge. Using a fine mesh strainer (the finer the better, but no need for a coffee filter), strain the mixture so it can be used in a spray bottle. Throw the sludge and spice mix into your compost pile. The leftover mix will be a strong-smelling liquid. I dilute that liquid 50/50 with water and spray the heck out of the plants. Your garden will smell like an italian dinner (complete with tirimisu) for about a day. This will discourage the mites and they will seek greener pastures. It will store fine in the fridge- you'll have enough for at least 4-5 spray bottles.

Keep in mind, this is for control- it's not exactly the cheapest way, and it will not rid your grow of mites forever. The thing I like about it it that it has a "half-life" of about a week, and it's totally non-toxic to humans. I wouldn't use it if you have less than a week til harvest, but I've used it 7 days out with NO residual flavoring of the buds.

Mad thanks to Adam, who gave me the recipe. He claims to have used it every 2 days for 2 weeks straight and the mites never came back. I'm a little skeptical on that, but I do know it works very well on a temporary basis. Peace

C

cofi

Detailed instructions

Keep in mind this does not kill mites outright; they starve to death. Evidently it makes the plant taste so bad they can't stand it. :evilgrin0040:

3 tbsp ground cloves
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp Italian seasoning

this is crazy your killing a bug not baking a pizza if you have to go organic i would use zero tolarence and azamax but im a forbid/floramite guy so what do i know

C

cofi

also remember organic is for control chemical is for eradication

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Detailed instructions

Keep in mind, this is for control- it's not exactly the cheapest way, and it will not rid your grow of mites forever. The thing I like about it it that it has a "half-life" of about a week, and it's totally non-toxic to humans. I wouldn't use it if you have less than a week til harvest, but I've used it 7 days out with NO residual flavoring of the buds.

but I do know it works very well on a temporary basis. Peace

:)

Sometimes you DO have to get hardcore with the bugs. I prefer to only use chemicals when there are no plants in the room. If you're not lazy, you can control them organically to finish a bloom without poisoning the buds.

No Tolerance seemed like a great idea, and I still use it occasionally in rotation, but it it the LEAST effective organic control I've used.

Peace

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
You know the cartoon Pinky and The Brain and how every show started off with Pinky saying; "What are we going to do tonight Brains? What are we going to do tonight? and the Brain says, "Same thing as every night Pinky! Take over the world". Well that is what spider mites do. They can appear at any time so it is best to be perpared with weapons and do preventative measures.

A

amstercal

Ditto TK, altitude and Tobor: They will take over. They can live anywhere, your carpet, your carbon filter, anywhere. P-bomb and clean, but also spray your plants with something, whether it's organic and chemical. Never assume they are gone. They can hitch a ride anywhere.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

On the bright side, dead mites add a little protein to your edibles...

I think the ones I had were genetically engineered by a secret Pfizer anti-cannabis laboratory...

B

Bearsfather

OK, so I shut everything down, remove the plants, dirt, bomb the room, clean everything. But now the mites are going to hibernate in the room, forever? Waiting to wake up and start to colonize the world again? Seems to me that if all the plants were gone, and there's nothing left for the mites to eat.... Wouldn't they "want" to move outdoors, into my garden?
If I purchase new soil, start up again from seed... Can I ever use the same room? What if I moved to a different part of the house?
By the way, my problem with the mites is not "out of control", NO webbing, but the plants are large enough, bushes really, so immersing them is out.
I am willing to remove everything and start over,
Right now I've been yanking leaves off (probably spreading the mites around myself).

M

makeitstink

Call Spiderman

One of the top spider mites killers, is rosemary oil, and if you look at a live rosemary plant, it is free of insects, so if you really want to go all out grow or purchase a rosemary plant, and grow it with your plants next to it, or just crush up the plant, make it into tea, and spray your room. I dont think you will see a spider mite again and you dont need pesticides. I had to do this to my first grow and grow room. The only problem is if you spray it on your plants it will it will it will taste like shit.

M

makeitstink

or

Detailed instructions

3 tbsp ground cloves
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp Italian seasoning

Buy the cheapest seasonings you can find (i grab 'em at the dollar store, except for the fresh garlic). Combine all ingredients in a suitable pot. Crush the garlic to release the oils. I add the skins and all, to save time. Peeling garlic is a pain. Bring the entire mixture just to a boil, and then simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. It will form a slimy sludge. Using a fine mesh strainer (the finer the better, but no need for a coffee filter), strain the mixture so it can be used in a spray bottle. Throw the sludge and spice mix into your compost pile. The leftover mix will be a strong-smelling liquid. I dilute that liquid 50/50 with water and spray the heck out of the plants. Your garden will smell like an italian dinner (complete with tirimisu) for about a day. This will discourage the mites and they will seek greener pastures. It will store fine in the fridge- you'll have enough for at least 4-5 spray bottles.

Mad thanks to Adam, who gave me the recipe. He claims to have used it every 2 days for 2 weeks straight and the mites never came back. I'm a little skeptical on that, but I do know it works very well on a temporary basis. Peace
One of the top spider mites killers, is rosemary oil, and if you look at a live rosemary plant, it is free of insects, so if you really want to go all out grow or purchase a rosemary plant, and grow it with your plants next to it, or just crush up the plant, make it into tea, and spray your room. I dont think you will see a spider mite again and you dont need pesticides. I had to do this to my first grow and grow room. The only problem is if you spray it on your plants it will it will it will taste like shit.

B

billybadazz

spray forbid 4f wait two days spray again. Then use floramite every two weeks. ONLY in VEGATATIVE NOT FLOWER. For your flower room take all your plants out throw a bomb in there with all the ventilation off in the meantime spray your plants weith sns 217c then mix up some bleach water and soak your flower room everywhere. Then on each pot put a yellow pest strip to catch residuals(and there will be some). You have to spray every other day with the sns 3-4 times. This is the only erradication method (besides avid) I have seen work on numerous gardens. This method isn't even close to cheap or organic but it is effective and tried and true. It cost me a $1000.00($420 on the gallon of sns 217c, forbid 4f 8 oz $250, 8oz floramite $220,$50 on pest strips) to get rid of mites but then again they can eat that much of your crop in a week. Do what you must but this shit works

K

kripplecreek

Just got over a hard hit by the little SOBS and the rosemary idea is appealing especially since ive got plenty in the conventional garden as it is. Id heard about mint oil? Any truth to that? I tried a lot of herbal remedies/water with alcohol/water with tobasco etc with soap no soap and in the end had to go chemical

The rosemary garlic italian spices method looks to be another appealing method since as said they are all CHEAP at the dollar stores and id rather not use any chemicals. Im likely going to be trying this too since this is one method id never come across when trying to take care of my last problem.

Ive cleaned the area top to bottom left to ride side to side in every dimension and smoked so hard to see if I could get into hidden dimensions to clean them lol the mites are definitely not something to be taken lightly and any preventive measure is worth it imo. Im saying this NOW after the fact since BEFORE I didnt have...anything just made sure the temps were steady and humidy and lots of airflow but they STILL got on them and these plants are always swaying in the wind

Looking at everyones posts and writing a lot down. Love learned and I love this site thanks gents! :cake:bongsmi:

C

cofi

Just got over a hard hit by the little SOBS and the rosemary idea is appealing especially since ive got plenty in the conventional garden as it is. Id heard about mint oil? Any truth to that? I tried a lot of herbal remedies/water with alcohol/water with tobasco etc with soap no soap and in the end had to go chemical

The rosemary garlic italian spices method looks to be another appealing method since as said they are all CHEAP at the dollar stores and id rather not use any chemicals. Im likely going to be trying this too since this is one method id never come across when trying to take care of my last problem.

Ive cleaned the area top to bottom left to ride side to side in every dimension and smoked so hard to see if I could get into hidden dimensions to clean them lol the mites are definitely not something to be taken lightly and any preventive measure is worth it imo. Im saying this NOW after the fact since BEFORE I didnt have...anything just made sure the temps were steady and humidy and lots of airflow but they STILL got on them and these plants are always swaying in the wind

Looking at everyones posts and writing a lot down. Love learned and I love this site thanks gents! :cake:bongsmi:

dont waste your time on any home brew methods if you have to try organic buy azamax or einstein oil and apply every 3 days be aware this is not an end all solution and to beat em you really have to go chemical there is no risk using forbid or flouromite in veg

Top Bottom