How long before replacing mothers

• Thread starter Gray Beard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gray Beard

Gray Beard

I have read that I need to replace my mothers about once a year. I take approx. 10 clones per month per mother and have them in 5 gal. of soil. Is a year about right? Do I need to restart from seed or can I use one of her clones?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It depends on the variety in my experience....some can last a few years but some will start to get funky, I say replace it with a cut if your in love with that pheno, or start beans to throw the dice...
When you start to notice rooting time taking longer and slight lack of growth vigor and a loss of yield with all other variables met; then you should replace the mother.
I'd say a 5gal is way too small for a year old plant and will make her weak towards the end of your year....
Go as big as your area permits for mother plant containers and don't be afraid to prune roots when transplanting and give her lots of foliar action, the mothers love it!

R

Rasta311

I restart my mothers every 3 grows. Its just a number I settled on.... Has never let me down in anyway as far as genetics go.

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Mental Floss

They are Mental Floss Moms. Do you have any experience with them? They were started from seed last Sept.

B

been

I've always replaced mums with the best cut of each round (every 2 or 3 months).

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Sorry Graybeard, I've got no experience with the Mental Floss or know anyone running that one... Ask Chimera(if that's his strain) not sure....

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

No problem, thanks for the input. They were not from Chimera but they will be from this point forward, I have had some troubles I can't nail down so will be using a different bean vendor.

B

Badmf

This is dependent on many factors. First general health of the Mom, with only ten cuts comin off it won't be stressed much, so you could go a year if you aren't rootbound. Just remember to flush every month!! This will prolong its usefulness. I take waaay more cuts so I replace every two months.

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Do I restart from seed? Or can I use her clones? The clones are actually the same age she is aren't they?

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

clone age

hi gray beard
teah your clones are the same age as your mother.TS1
:420:

S

SCC

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey GB, here's my 2 cents, for me just to be safe i replace my moms after 2-3 sets of clones, and yes i'll look for the strongest clone to replace the mom. Also reading an articale from Shantibaba, once a year he'll send a fresh mom outside to florish in the natural sunlight and either bring that new clone mom inside or take a clone from her to start as a new mom, hope that helps!

A

addicted

I have a bonsai mum that has been around for 10 years this year. She produces strong clones still. I have never noticed any degradation of genetics. So, I will keep her till she dies of old age!

*imagines* *40 years from now* Here grand kids! Take a hit of this blast from the past!

---Secret is root pruning!! I do it Bi-Annual.

B

Badmf

Take the strongest clone, and continue. Addicteds method may work but I take so many, it stressed the M til it won't grow as vigorously as before. With you only taking ten the root trim sounds good but add a backup clone to be sure!

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

What size pot do you have her in? Thanks for all your input - greatly appreciated!!

S

snowkitty

Glad I saw this thread. For some reason I thought people kept them a long time. I was wondering what kind of light to keep a bonsai mother under but it seems easier just to replace every 2-3 months, or after 2-3 sets of clones have been taken off. I'll leave learning a new method of pruning and maintaining plants for another time.

S

Skuff

I usually replace with a new cutting every 3-4 months, but after 8 years she aint what she used to be

B

Badmf

As for pot size I use 5's for lesser used strains and 15's for the really great ones. Threes could work if you also restrict lite by going 4 on 4 off, it will stay in veg but only gets/uses 12 hours of juice per day, now thats your Xmas present, lol.

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

4 on 4 off - that is a new one on this beginner. Are you serious? How does that not confuse the plant? I know I am asking for another Xmas present.

B

Badmf

Imagine a day outdoors; where a few clouds come by blocking the Sun.... this happens, believe it or not, lol. Indoors we have full lumens all the time, why? Nature doesn't, so I decided to lessen my bill and slow down growth until I needed it faster. Doing 4 on then 4 off is just a cloudy day, it doesn't effect anything except the bill and growth. One size fits all! Happy New Year!!!

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

That is something I am going to have to try! Thanks. Owe one one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom