How long can plants in veg go without light?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

We had a huge wind event Friday and we lost power, and it's still out on Sunday afternoon. I'm concerned about the plants being in the dark. Likewise, the temps range from 59 at night to 71 in the daytime, so I'm concerned about the cold, too. The power company has no estimate when power might be restored, saying it could be days. There are trees and power lines down all over the place. My own street has been blocked with a downed tree, power line and power pole since Friday night, with no workers in sight yet.

If I put the plants outside (really don't want to due to prying eyes), the temps are 40s at night and 60s in the day.

Any suggestions how not to lose these 18 plants?

Observationist

Observationist

I think 14 hours minimum for veg

In darkness, a hormone increases and that tells the plant to flower

the cold will stress them out, but it won’t kill them unless it freezes the water insi

it should toughen the stems, thicken up and bring out colors

I mean I personally might give them the outdoor light if possible

Now 40s nighttime will probably be pushing it and way too cold

but we are in the context of just keeping them alive and in veg

Otherwise you’ll have 18 plants that go into flower and that will be okay will just suffer yield tremendously but 18 of em will kinda make up for that

those babies would get big and take space

Anthem

Anthem

You can try just leaving them inside in the dark. A few days should not be a problem. I had them in darkness for like 17 days, due to a light issue. They were doing well until about day 14. You might see a slow in growing because of the hormone buildup that causes flowering to start but if only a few days they should pop out if it.

Observationist

Observationist

You can try just leaving them inside in the dark. A few days should not be a problem. I had them in darkness for like 17 days, due to a light issue. They were doing well until about day 14. You might see a slow in growing because of the hormone buildup that causes flowering to start but if only a few days they should pop out if it.
Yup, and then you can make them go back to veg as well.

16 18 24 hours of light

Observationist

Observationist

They will never show any signs of flower because there is no light for them to grow. They will just slow down in growth the longer they are in the dark but will eventually continue to veg. There is no go back to veg.
Ah ok thought they would try to flower by then

PK1

PK1

Supporter
why not open the blinds and tent door or where ever their growing to just get some natural light. As long as they get some sort of light than you should be fine. if you can put them by a window to get sun light than you and the plants will be happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom