How long can seeds be kept for

• Thread starter APAX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

APAX

How long can seeds be kept for , when stored in a cool dry place out of the sun ?

B

biggs

i've heard of people germing 10+ yr old seeds. i have myself germed 5 yr old seeds with no problems. i like to keep mine in the fridge. and they have very high germ rates when stored this way.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I got 7 out of 10 to germ at 16 yrs old, last summer. I have a few beans left from outdoor harvest '93. I have heard of scientists germinating 10,000 yr old seeds found in an ice cave, also. I'm sure it all depends on the storing conditions.

C

captain.koons

I got 7 out of 10 to germ at 16 yrs old, last summer. I have a few beans left from outdoor harvest '93. I have heard of scientists germinating 10,000 yr old seeds found in an ice cave, also. I'm sure it all depends on the storing conditions.

Some seed are meant to keep longer than others. A huge factor is size, indica seeds have more moisture where sativas have less moisture, indicas given natural storage conditions will not last as long as sativas.

Where have you heard of 10 000 year old seeds germinated? I haven't searched extensively but wikipedia may have shed some light on such a claim

"In 1954 an Arctic lupine seed, in glacial sediments believed to be 10,000 years old or older, was found in the Yukon Territory. The seed was germinated in 1966. New dating techniques revealed that the seeds were not 10,000 years old as believed" Oldest Viable seed page.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

That would be the story to which I was referring; the details were fuzzy. No surprise there. LOL. Thanks for clearing that up, cap'n; +rep. I won't go around spreading misinformation...haha. I wonder how old they determined those seeds were?

I

ibTheMan

10000 year old weeds seeds mite grow tree sized weed,lol think of the size joint it would take for a big Dino. lol
I know stored right they can last many many years.

C

captain.koons

I hope you realize dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years and not tens of thousands of years.

As for the actual age of the seeds, probably no where near 10 000 assuming that the information is true the oldest seeds were carbon dated at 2000 years, the 2nd oldest at 1300 years.

This BBC story has the same info wiki has, so I assume 200 years is correct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8142000/8142037.stm

M

monkeytime

Gents,

I have seeds in individual little glass vials with plastic twist on caps (got them from a headshop, I think coke users store their drugs in it..probably hold about 1-3.5grams). I then placed all the little glass vials in a mason jar (Ball Mason jar) with dry rice inside. I also wrapped the mason jar with paper to keep out any light and I put them in my refrigerator. Think this is a good way to store the beans? Anything input from you all for improving my storage method??

Better to put in freezer than refrig? Should I put rice in each individual glass vial? All suggestion greatly appreciated as i'm invested well over $2000.00 in beans alone.

On a side note, which would you pop first? Here is a list of the beans I have yet to try.

OGRaskal Alien Kush x Fire OG
Dr Greenthumb East Coast Sour Diesel (S1)
Dr Greenthumb Chemdog #4 (S1)
Top Dawg Underdawg D
Top Dawg White HP
Mota Herijuana
Cali Connect Pre98 Bubba BX2

Z

zombywolf

The most important factor in long term seed storage is refrigeration. I am still germing C99 seeds from 1999 that have been in cold since then. If you dont refrigerate seeds, they may last only a couple years. Do yourself a favor and buy a small dorm sized refrigerator and keep your seeds in there. Put them in a sandwich baggie inside a paper lunch bag and they will last for a long time.

Top Bottom