how long do i veg seed

• Thread starter lil ze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Patriot

Patriot

I will like to know if it is ok to cut the fan leafs off in vegetation stage? how will this affect the plant .....Please help

L

l33t

l33t, you may flower a plant young but was it ready for flowering?

If you cloned your ssh I would bet you would get a stronger plant in flavor and high then it's young donor. JK

Hi JK

And I bet..that you haven't tried it yourself..yet you want to gamble..

I have tried it though, and no difference whatsoever , only different structure and finishing times..

Hope that this clears it up for you.
Even the Breeder suggests to go 12/12 from seed with Haze dominat hybrids like SSH or Neville's Haze , or a week veg max to easily control height.

J

Jalisco Kid

l33t, The breeder suggested flowering from the start because the cross is not suited to be grown indoors compared to what it can do outdoors. I have found my cuts are a little more stronger and a more pronounced flavor then the young mom I took them from. I believe a maturer female has more to offer. I have started p haze 12/12 and does not come close to the cuts grown outdoors for 8 months. And from past grows with other strains indoor/outdoor I know it was not from the environment. JK

L

l33t

JK,

I m sure there are many factors that control the end result.Location/climate etc are all very important. Outdoor grown weed in , say the UK , is imo worse than indoor grown stuff but outdoor grown plants from cali or south Spain are better than same plants grown indoors. I don't disagree that a plant outdoors in a good spot with plenty of intense sunlight will produce the best buds.. ..But you can't compare indoor grown plant vs outdoor grown plants when we talk about difference in potency/flavor in vegged vs non vegged plants.

Either way I m sure its all strain dependent as well but I haven't personally seen differences between vegged and non-vegged plants, other than structural differences and different finishing times.

Btw the breeder suggests to go straight to 12/12 from seed so you can control height and also finish long flowering plants as fast as possible. But as far as height goes the breeder could also suggest topping or lst etc and some weeks veg..but he doesn't. Also if he believed there is potency loss I m sure he wouldn't suggest this method..since there are yield losses as well with no veg time..

edit:

Now one thing I would like to say is , consider this..how come the most potent herb on earth come from equatorial areas ie Colombia where the lighting is 12/12 all year (giving zero veg time to plants) ?

If the natural light regime there (12/12 all year) had anything to do with potency then these lines that originate from these areas would never manage to reach their full potential in their natural environment..

J

Jalisco Kid

l33t,The point I was trying to make if you took cuts from your plant that was started from 12/12 this cut will be a little strong and a more rounded flavor. A older plant say vegged for 2 months will be a bit stronger then one vegged for 2 weeks. I think the older plant has developed more hormones to throw her into motherhood. Suerte JK

L

l33t

If you take a cut from a plant that was started under 12/12 from seed you will normally need to put it back to veg before flowering it. Of course you can put it straight to 12/12 but the strain will dictate the result.
In example if you did that with Cheese you 'd end up with a mini sized plant so there wouldn't be any logic behind using this method..(no matter if there was any difference in flavor or potency).
Now..if you worked with a heavy sativa line like a haze dominant hybrid say Neville's Haze or a pure sativa things would be very different. The cut under 12/12 would take quite few weeks before it would start to really flower. Basically it would root then grow (veg) for several weeks before it would really start to flower no matter the lighting.

Thats the case with all sativas and 12/12 from seed. They basically grow/veg till they get mature enough to start flowering irrespective of lighting. They don't start to flower unless they have become hormonally mature and stored enough carbohydrates.

Another thing to mention is that with 12/12 from seed and any strain...any single day counts and is important as it will affect the end result. With no veg time one needs to grow the plants very well to have em reach their potential , while with vegged plants things are much more different and forgiving.

I haven't taken & flowered straight away cuts from plants that were in 12/12 (and were started with 12/12 from seed) so I can't compare how these would smoke compared to cuts from a more mature mother or a cut that was vegged few months.
But I have grown same cuts and plants from seed with zero veg time Vs some veg time and found no differences in flavor and potency.

It would be nice to hear what others think on this that have tried to do similar comparison tests in the past.

l33t

G

Gizmoe

the best answer if for as long as you think you need to but a better way to maybe think about it is to set a goal for the veg height you would like to achieve because all plants grow at different rates.....good luck hope this helps

onextremebuzz

onextremebuzz

Veg for as long as you like just make sure you train them to grow the way you want. Height doesn't matter when grown in a Scrog to a point just keep folding them under the net. I have attached a video these plants are around 7 weeks. Well not all of them. Niagara seed bank preflower out. I have a sour apple killerz in there though. Gonna go until desired.

growsince79

growsince79

i started my seeds about 4 weeks ago and they are no way ready to flower.people say 3-4 weeks veg is this from clone .what is average weeks to veg from seed
I go 4 weeks from sprout if I want to max yield. Otherwise 2-3 weeks is plenty.

onextremebuzz

onextremebuzz

Seems short amount of time. I'm just playing around with netting and training and what not and its clear more than ever you should allow more veg time. Definitely more effective and makes better use of the space. What a way to revive a post. Attached another video. 5x5 grow tent with a 600 mh air cooled fan on each side. 2 12 volt 60 mm fans for intake and out take that are always on. Humidifier and 2 fans. 23.5 and 65 percent.

growsince79

growsince79

Seems short amount of time. I'm just playing around with netting and training and what not and its clear more than ever you should allow more veg time. Definitely more effective and makes better use of the space. What a way to revive a post. Attached another video. 5x5 grow tent with a 600 mh air cooled fan on each side. 2 12 volt 60 mm fans for intake and out take that are always on. Humidifier and 2 fans. 23.5 and 65 percent.
I've been experimenting with veg time for over 40 years.
I can flip 4 weeks from sprout and get 16 oz, or I can flip after 8 weeks and get 18oz. For my setup, the extra month is a waste of time and space.

onextremebuzz

onextremebuzz

Well I'm not that far advanced. I would like to see your setup. Mind sharing lol. Or are you in a illegal country?

onextremebuzz

onextremebuzz

I've been experimenting with veg time for over 40 years.
I can flip 4 weeks from sprout and get 16 oz, or I can flip after 8 weeks and get 18oz. For my setup, the extra month is a waste of time and space.
Pictures or video or it didn't happen. The longer the veg the higher the yeild. All depends on how you train and grow it. Genetics matter as well. But it's just biology man more time to veg more spots for flowers to grow. It's not like I'm selling my product lol. Got all the time in the world to play with it.

growsince79

growsince79

Pictures or video or it didn't happen. The longer the veg the higher the yeild. All depends on how you train and grow it. Genetics matter as well. But it's just biology man more time to veg more spots for flowers to grow. It's not like I'm selling my product lol. Got all the time in the world to play with it.
Almost all the buds are on the top foot and a half so why grow 6foot plants. Waste of time imo.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Almost all the buds are on the top foot and a half so why grow 6foot plants. Waste of time imo.
It's not Height I want... Its width and if you can't get any more than 2 extra OZ you're doing something wrong. Tiny little plants turning at 1 month can not produce 1/2 of what I get in 2. I'm looking for plants not branches.

One Auto turned on its own at 3-4 weeks.

2 Gorilla's Bomb not turned yet 7 weeks

One Cherry Bomb about 150 days from seed.

growsince79

growsince79

It's not Height I want... Its width and if you can't get any more than 2 extra OZ you're doing something wrong. Tiny little plants turning at 1 month can not produce 1/2 of what I get in 2. I'm looking for plants not branches. View attachment 1095278
One Auto turned on its own at 3-4 weeks.View attachment 1095279
View attachment 1095281
I agree bigger plants make more. But I'm talking about relative yield for a given space. I can veg 4 plants in my 2 x 4 for one month and average a pound. Or I can veg 2 plants for 2 months and get a pound. Option 3 is to veg 3 plants for 2 months, defoliate and maybe get 18 oz. For my setup, more plants shorter veg is the best relative yield. Look at some sea of green grows with zero veg time-hard to beat

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

It's not Height I want... Its width and if you can't get any more than 2 extra OZ you're doing something wrong. Tiny little plants turning at 1 month can not produce 1/2 of what I get in 2. I'm looking for plants not branches. View attachment 1095278
One Auto turned on its own at 3-4 weeks.View attachment 1095279
View attachment 1095281
2 plants veg one month from sprout and documented in cali connection purple chem seeds grow diary. yield 8oz in 4sqft.

IMG 20201028 190957421

Latest posts

Top Bottom