How long do you keep regular plants before they show sex and produce pollen?

• Thread starter wobbleysausage
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

I picked up a bunch of regular seeds from jinx proof genetics. Now my only issue is how do I plant these without wasting resources? Ideally I could keep 1 male to get some pollen and flower it super young. 3 weeks old I assume and get a few ziplocs of pollen. But what container size should I keep these in to retain resources like soil? I don't want more than 1 male or 1 female so starting these is kinda confusing me. Should I just put them all in solo cups and hope for the best? If you can't tell I've only ever had feminized seeds.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hey im very new to indoor and am in the same boat right now! I popped roughly 15 seeds of three different strains non feminized. I had them all in solo cups until yesterday which I up potted to 1 gallon plastic grow bags. It was a little more than a 27gal tote from Costco worth if I had to guess of the good soil I got for them until they show sex, once they do that im culling all the males and keeping the strong females and might do a clone project for outdoor (we’ll see about that). This was the best way I could come up with without “wasting” my recourses. The dirt in the the male’s bag will get added to the female’s fabric pots when the females get transplanted. Again this was the best way I could come up with as being new to the indoor scene.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Hey im very new to indoor and am in the same boat right now! I popped roughly 15 seeds of three different strains non feminized. I had them all in solo cups until yesterday which I up potted to 1 gallon plastic grow bags. It was a little more than a 27gal tote from Costco worth if I had to guess of the good soil I got for them until they show sex, once they do that im culling all the males and keeping the strong females and might do a clone project for outdoor (we’ll see about that). This was the best way I could come up with without “wasting” my recourses. The dirt in the the male’s bag will get added to the female’s fabric pots when the females get transplanted. Again this was the best way I could come up with as being new to the indoor scene.
Well, I'm honestly just going to try to do it in a solo cup. I know that's going to be very hard but I can't start more than like a handle full of seeds. If i get a ton of males thats cool ill cull them. But if I get a ton of females well....I can't resist ill scrog them out or something. I do want pollen from a male though just enough that I can replicate the genetics so if I can pull it off in a solo cup, im gonna try.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Well, I'm honestly just going to try to do it in a solo cup. I know that's going to be very hard but I can't start more than like a handle full of seeds. If i get a ton of males thats cool ill cull them. But if I get a ton of females well....I can't resist ill scrog them out or something. I do want pollen from a male though just enough that I can replicate the genetics so if I can pull it off in a solo cup, im gonna try.
Thats the biggest thing! Make it work for you : ) and what you feel comfortable doing. If you start doing something detrimental and you are showing it here on the forum someone will speak up and give you guidance. Have you started a grow log/ diary?

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Thats the biggest thing! Make it work for you : ) and what you feel comfortable doing. If you start doing something detrimental and you are showing it here on the forum someone will speak up and give you guidance. Have you started a grow log/ diary?
I have a log for a few of my previous grows on growdiaries but haven't been updating them as much as I'd like. I want to do a vlog so I can actually remember what I did to my plants haha

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I have a log for a few of my previous grows on growdiaries but haven't been updating them as much as I'd like. I want to do a vlog so I can actually remember what I did to my plants haha
Thats a good idea! I just use a calendar and write really small on the days I do stuff lol.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey my guys,
I’ve been doing the regular seed self breeding thing for a while. You have really two choices. 1) create a specific separate breeding tent. Or 2) breed one male across your tent of females. (See below for more detail) My advice is to decide and breeding method and running it through for results.
1). You will need to have give away space for this method. Create a separate I mean separate area for this operation. Pollen will drift, it will cling to your close, it will travel and you don’t want seeds anywhere you don’t want them. Take a male and two or three females you will want to breed. You can seclude them in the other area. I use a 3x3 tent, and out your male (or silver sprayed female) into the tent with the females you want to cross breed. This method will give you a shit ton of seeds. You will basically have the entire female plants full of seeds from the close quarters pollen and you’ll have cross breed the whole plants.
2). If you don’t want to fully isolate plants or if you don’t have the room you can breed one male across several females in your bloom tent. Identify and isolate a male away from your other plants. Shake / harvest the pollen somehow (I use prescription drug bottles). Once you have rendered pollen use a make up brush or other small paintbrush to deposit pollen on 1 arm of each of your females in the bloom tent. You will be making hybrid seeds in small batch.

You will need to only have 1 male for either method. If you have two males you cannot account for which pollen went where and you’ll have no idea of the offspring origin. Both of these methods are considered pollen chucking and are not true breeding, in order to get stabilized repeatable genetics you will need to do a run of the hybrid seeds you created to find best phenoms, then complete a back cross of that plant against itself to stabilize the genetics. Good luck the world of breeding is really fascinating and takes a long time. Your adventure starts now.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Hey my guys,
I’ve been doing the regular seed self breeding thing for a while. You have really two choices. 1) create a specific separate breeding tent. Or 2) breed one male across your tent of females. (See below for more detail) My advice is to decide and breeding method and running it through for results.
1). You will need to have give away space for this method. Create a separate I mean separate area for this operation. Pollen will drift, it will cling to your close, it will travel and you don’t want seeds anywhere you don’t want them. Take a male and two or three females you will want to breed. You can seclude them in the other area. I use a 3x3 tent, and out your male (or silver sprayed female) into the tent with the females you want to cross breed. This method will give you a shit ton of seeds. You will basically have the entire female plants full of seeds from the close quarters pollen and you’ll have cross breed the whole plants.
2). If you don’t want to fully isolate plants or if you don’t have the room you can breed one male across several females in your bloom tent. Identify and isolate a male away from your other plants. Shake / harvest the pollen somehow (I use prescription drug bottles). Once you have rendered pollen use a make up brush or other small paintbrush to deposit pollen on 1 arm of each of your females in the bloom tent. You will be making hybrid seeds in small batch.

You will need to only have 1 male for either method. If you have two males you cannot account for which pollen went where and you’ll have no idea of the offspring origin. Both of these methods are considered pollen chucking and are not true breeding, in order to get stabilized repeatable genetics you will need to do a run of the hybrid seeds you created to find best phenoms, then complete a back cross of that plant against itself to stabilize the genetics. Good luck the world of breeding is really fascinating and takes a long time. Your adventure starts now.
Haha yes someone with experience. Yeah I'm not gonna do full breeding runs I just want some seeds to pheno hunt through and maybe down the road I'll have something to really breed and get down with. But I bought reg seeds because the genetics I wanted thats all they had (9 pound hammer by jinx proof) and he gave me 36 regs for like, 100 bucks basically. So I figure I mise as well turn 36 seeds in 100s. So if I identify a male plant say week 3, when does it start throwing pollen? Like does it need time to mature more or as soon as I see balls or nanners its on?

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So like anything else biological or any other part of the weed plant you will definitely have warnings of the male. You will start to see the balls form like the ones in the picture below. Don’t freak out though, you have at least a full week if not more before they start through ing pollen. Also really depends on strain the lilac diesel below has been developing those massive balls for almost 3 weeks im really surprised they have ore opened and stared dropping pollen. I will take a prescription drug plastic bottle and just manhandle one of the cola tops into the bottle. You’ll see all the yellow pollen falling off and collecting in the plastic bottle. Do this to a couple colas and you’ll be right as rain. When you go to breed paint on the pollen with makeup or paint brush onto the white pistils of you female bud. Again only try to do one arm or two, you don’t your whole crop seeded out.

Also this male is behind two closed doors and tent zippers from my female grow room. Be careful pollen will drift.

IMG 0756
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

So like anything else biological or any other part of the weed plant you will definitely have warnings of the male. You will start to see the balls form like the ones in the picture below. Don’t freak out though, you have at least a full week if not more before they start through ing pollen. Also really depends on strain the lilac diesel below has been developing those massive balls for almost 3 weeks im really surprised they have ore opened and stared dropping pollen. I will take a prescription drug plastic bottle and just manhandle one of the cola tops into the bottle. You’ll see all the yellow pollen falling off and collecting in the plastic bottle. Do this to a couple colas and you’ll be right as rain. When you go to breed paint on the pollen with makeup or paint brush onto the white pistils of you female bud. Again only try to do one arm or two, you don’t your whole crop seeded out.

Also this male is behind two closed doors and tent zippers from my female grow room. Be careful pollen will drift.
How long will that pollen keep? Should I freeze it?

A

alpha.ganjaguy

I picked up a bunch of regular seeds from jinx proof genetics. Now my only issue is how do I plant these without wasting resources? Ideally I could keep 1 male to get some pollen and flower it super young. 3 weeks old I assume and get a few ziplocs of pollen. But what container size should I keep these in to retain resources like soil? I don't want more than 1 male or 1 female so starting these is kinda confusing me. Should I just put them all in solo cups and hope for the best? If you can't tell I've only ever had feminized seeds.
you can determine the sex as early as just 7 days of growth with cannabis sex testing

www.farmerfreeman.com/order#!/Hemp-and-Cannabis-Sex-Testing/c/29458002

A

alpha.ganjaguy

yup, a lot of people use the sexing kits so they don't have to devote weeks of time, substrate and nutes and they can plan their grows better. It;s nothing new, been around for years now. GL

Latest posts

Top Bottom