How long does mold last ?

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panhead59

Panhead59

New grower here. Finished up my second grow with some mold. Trashed the plant. My ? Is - If the molded plant was in tent hanging over some 5 gal. Fabric pots, full of soil for next grow, would the mold spores get into that soil ? I know to thoughly clean tent, but should i trash 3 buckets of new soil also ?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i would. i have mushroom spores that are still viable after over a decade in the fridge. spores are like seeds, just a bit more pernicious, especially if they have a nice comfortable environment like soil. you could pasteurize the soil if you don't want to take the financial hit.

Reactions: PK1
Panhead59

Panhead59

Ok trash the soil it is. Good excuse to get some Lush instead of the ffhf I was just trying to use up. Gonna try organic this time. Mold was caused by rh instability. I bought a bigger humidifier, should solve that issue. Live n learn I guess.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
If you have a humidity problems than you don't need a bigger humidifier but rather a dehumidifier. Also, proper airflow and heat can help to stop mold from happening unless the area you are growing is very humid

Panhead59

Panhead59

No it was low rh. Was drying and couldn't get rh outta 30's with a little humidifier so i bought a big one. It worked great. Shot rh to 75 % b 4 I caught it. Mold in 24 hrs or less. Here's the victim, Acopulco Gold
Real tight buds.

20220117 092756
20220117 090936
20220117 092802
PK1

PK1

Supporter
No it was low rh. Was drying and couldn't get rh outta 30's with a little humidifier so i bought a big one. It worked great. Shot rh to 75 % b 4 I caught it. Mold in 24 hrs or less. Here's the victim, Acopulco Gold
Real tight buds.
keep humidity in 70% during seedling and veg, drop to 60% in flower and to 45/50% at the end week before harvest.
Temps should be high 80/85f depending on your lighting

william76

william76

If u hadn't put the humidifier in u wouldn't have got the mold.u could have wet a t towel and hung it in the corner of the room u were drying in,that would have pushed ur rh from the 3o s up to the 50/60 rh u need for drying..76

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Personally I think the soil would be fine. Mold and fungus spores are literally floating around us in the air all the time, it grows as soon as it finds hospitable conditions.

chemistry

chemistry

Break open a bud to look for mould, because sometimes you get very fine trykes that look like mould.

B

buhdda

They say as soon as the mold forms on the buds you have to discard it, this is something entirely new, would someone explain to me when mold sets in the buds how can it still be any good it's not healthy to smoke such contaminated buds but I also heard others taking the molded parts off & discarding it, but If it was mine it would be thrown out the whole part that was connected to it, people it's not healthy to try to savage molded buds, come on people that's what fans are used to move the air circulation so mold won't form on them.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Personally I think the soil would be fine. Mold and fungus spores are literally floating around us in the air all the time, it grows as soon as it finds hospitable conditions.
^^This.^^

You didn't get bud rot because a mold spore got into your tent. You got bud rot because the conditions were right for it. Bud rot is always there, ready to pounce.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Are you sure itā€™s mold? If itā€™s a white powdery substance it could be from the humidifier mist and not mold.

B

buhdda

Too much moisture seedlings 70 % vegetation 60 % they say flowering but from others, etc as from reading, you have to cut the humidity down 40 - 55 % any more you're heading for a disaster, I had to come in & put my 2 cents in salvaging molded buds freezing wet buds will cure it? no, it's there after you take it out of the freezer you'll still have to fight to keep the mold out, that's why there are fans to keep air circulating, back in the 80s I used to pick up weight, you see that compacted bricks usually 5 lb bricks open 1 up until you'[l find mold b/c it was rushed out for distribution, 1 of the things we dealt with back then, was mold in the bricks

Last edited:
B

buhdda

too much moisture
too much moisture seedlings 70 % vegetation 60 % they say flowering but from others, etc as from reading, you have to cut the humidity down 40 - 55 % any more you're heading for a disaster, I had to come in & put my 2 cents in salvaging molded buds freezing wet buds will cure it? no, it's there after you take it out of the freezer you'll still have to fight to keep the mold out
Are you sure itā€™s mold? If itā€™s a white powdery substance it could be from the humidifier mist and not mold.
What is bud rot? caused by moisture, I grow mine without advising others, I don't like to get blamed for going wrong, but whatever you do if it's molded get rid of it, take it as a trial & error you need more circulation to keep them hanging don't ram them in jars too fast 1 of the reasons that can cause mold, sometimes it can take up to 6 months to cure properly, I got a friend that is overly paranoid about his plants growing them outside has cameras that will send pictures of others getting too close, etc, talk about the security?

Panhead59

Panhead59

Tks everyone for the replies. Yes the conditions were near perfect for mold. I was trimming my last and biggest bud when i noticed black spots. I opened it up and saw lots of black, from inside towards the outside. It also smelled like mold. I immediately trashed the whole plant. A couple wks ago my generator sent a power surge though our house as the power had gone out. It blew out a garage door opener, directv box, many light bulbs, and 2 outta 3 fans in the 4x4 tent among other things. Luckily it didn't hurt my grow lights !! So yeah, not enough air circulation and then a sudden change in rh. Lesson learned. We had an electrician hook up a sub panel with switches designed just for that application. So no more surges. Always somethin' !!!!šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

B

buhdda

Tks everyone for the replies. Yes the conditions were near perfect for mold. I was trimming my last and biggest bud when i noticed black spots. I opened it up and saw lots of black, from inside towards the outside. It also smelled like mold. I immediately trashed the whole plant. A couple wks ago my generator sent a power surge though our house as the power had gone out. It blew out a garage door opener, directv box, many light bulbs, and 2 outta 3 fans in the 4x4 tent among other things. Luckily it didn't hurt my grow lights !! So yeah, not enough air circulation and then a sudden change in rh. Lesson learned. We had an electrician hook up a sub panel with switches designed just for that application. So no more surges. Always somethin' !!!!šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
did you see the ratings of where the humidity suppose to be? keep it at that range, you should be fine, drop humidity down when flowering, don't rush the curing, curing times vary, smelled it? NASTY SMELL, air circulation is the key

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yes I knew the rh perimeters. Thats why I got the bigger humidifier, better control. Those 2 fans burning up was just bad timing. The perfect storm, if you will. My 1st grow was in the summer so it was dehumidifier time. Rh is really high here (SW Va.) In the summer, and around 20-30% in the winter. A disappointing way to learn but.......

7munkee

7munkee

Real tight buds.
šŸ˜² Excuse me while I go cry.

freezeland2

freezeland2

What is bud rot? caused by moisture, I grow mine without advising others, I don't like to get blamed for going wrong, but whatever you do if it's molded get rid of it, take it as a trial & error you need more circulation to keep them hanging don't ram them in jars too fast 1 of the reasons that can cause mold, sometimes it can take up to 6 months to cure properly, I got a friend that is overly paranoid about his plants growing them outside has cameras that will send pictures of others getting too close, etc, talk about the security?
Yes bud rot is caused by too much moisture. Catipillars too but those are usually in outdoor grows. Personally in low humidity like that I probably would have went straight to paper bags to slow the dry rather then have added a humidifier.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Pardon me. Wrong fungus.

Top Bottom