how long for autos really

• Thread starter lvstealth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ive noticed that none of the strains of autos produce when they say, many say 8 weeks, they seem to run more like 11 weeks. so is there any way to know how long. i have auto caramelicious, they say 8 weeks. they are 7 weeks old now, and i know they wont be ready in a week, but how can i know how long? why do that?

Last edited:
HarryHood

HarryHood

yeah, they do that. but some will be straight with you and tell you that each plant is slightly different therefor it may take a bit longer than what they initially say. at least that's the case with fastbuds. i'm doing a run now of 5 autos. 3 (strawberry pie, og bubblegum, fastberry) are from them and 2 (purple punch) are from barney's. i think they all pretty much say 9 weeks, but i know it'll be closer to 11
my last run was all auto's and i believe i chopped a little early (between the 10th and 11th week) even with using a jeweler's loupe. still got over a 1/2 lb off of 4 plants of some really great bud, but i could've and should've let the trichomes develop more amber in them as opposed to clear/milky. that's ok though. it was my rookie grow and i was very pleased with what i achieved. gave some to a few longtime friends and they said it was fire and wanted more asap. i was beyond stoked to hear that.
good luck on your current grow!

Spike8910

Spike8910

@HarryHood do you have any pics I've just started the strawberry pie and gsc and got the bubblegum for next grow just wondered what they gonna be like

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
8-10 weeks Auto really only means that they *should* be capable of that under optimal conditions, not that they will automatically do that :-)
Say usually 10 week plus whatever your growing environment plus how much you stress/stunt them yourself along the way, my first grow went 15 weeks before I chopped the last plant.

HarryHood

HarryHood

@HarryHood do you have any pics I've just started the strawberry pie and gsc and got the bubblegum for next grow just wondered what they gonna be like
i'm sorry i don't. i'm in a state that just legalized it and our laws on growing, even medicinal, for the next couple of years are stupid and senseless so i won't be posting pics until either it, or i, am legit. again, sorry.

i do know that if you go to fastbuds site they give a pretty solid description of each strain and some grow tips. good amount of pics there too. they also have a video on the strawberry pie and if i recall he says to go light on the nutes with that one. mine is kinda short and bushy and i've done some LST on all plants on this run. they say the og bubblegum can handle basically whatever is thrown at it and it's true. i've purposely been going heavy on that to see how it would respond and she's killing it. a mini xmas tree that is swelling up nicely. i use roots organics line for my nutes.
happy growing, Spike8910!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
8-10 weeks Auto really only means that they *should* be capable of that under optimal conditions, not that they will automatically do that :-)
Say usually 10 week plus whatever your growing environment plus how much you stress/stunt them yourself along the way, my first grow went 15 weeks before I chopped the last plant.

i wonder if there is an equation. or if one could be made. if they would state those "optimal conditions" i might figure out how far im off. but that would be too easy...

so, anyone grown caramelicious autos? they say less than 8 weeks, so maybe 10 or 11?

Billymgb

Billymgb

i wonder if there is an equation. or if one could be made. if they would state those "optimal conditions" i might figure out how far im off. but that would be too easy...

so, anyone grown caramelicious autos? they say less than 8 weeks, so maybe 10 or 11?
There is just too many factors to say how many weeks but a loop won't let you down. You chop when you see what you want to see. Good luck brother.

BudSeed

BudSeed

What none here has mentioned, and is very important to speed of growth for auto's is the light cycle used. 24/0 (lights always on) produces the fastest growth from experience, and also allows for growers to keep environmentals stable (no humidity, temp swings from lights off) to maximize yield and growth for AUTOs.

for ex, our alaskan thunderfuck auto fem finishes in about 80 days under 24/0 indoors, however it takes closer to 110 days under 12/12 light cycle outdoors/greenhouse to reach the same yield under otherwise similar grow conditions

BudSeed

BudSeed

where does the 18/6 light schedule fall?
somewhere in the middle, there is a negative return as you increase the amount of light you give to plants. As I said, you are not going to grow twice as fast from double the light.
18/6 is great for growing autos, ive grown many huge autos under 18/6 over the years. I stick to 24/0 or 22/2 these days simply bc power costs / heat produced are no longer a problem (LEDs running off Solar)

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

I'm still new to autos, but one thing I've learned is, they're on their own time. The breeder's "seed to harvest" claim in my opinion, is under strictly "perfect" conditions so as to coax immediate flowering. They're probably using a feed regimen that also aids to quicker flower development.

Bottom line is, just go by what the plant tells you. Always anticipate more time than claimed by the breeder. Case in point: i have these Divine Seeds "Auto 77 Days". That is very specific, it's even the strain name, lol. I still think it'll be more like 90 days.
PXL 20210417 2240362072

bunkerking

bunkerking

I'm still new to autos, but one thing I've learned is, they're on their own time. The breeder's "seed to harvest" claim in my opinion, is under strictly "perfect" conditions so as to coax immediate flowering. They're probably using a feed regimen that also aids to quicker flower development.

Bottom line is, just go by what the plant tells you. Always anticipate more time than claimed by the breeder. Case in point: i have these Divine Seeds "Auto 77 Days". That is very specific, it's even the strain name, lol. I still think it'll be more like 90 days.
View attachment 1115970

That they are. It really depends on how much light they get, and how many hours per day. How much they get feed, and how often.

It takes 5-6 weeks under my single t5 for them to sex.

There is no real time limit, you grow them till it ambers up.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

From my research and what I have seen is that you should add a week or two on average especially if you LST, or top.

I have also read some compelling arguments that even pot size fabric included might have a hand in time as well. Basically when roots hit the edges of the pot it helps them trigger flower.

Now my disclaimer is I am new to this, I’m on my first grow, but, from all my readings and searching these are tidbits I have found. Personally my autos both same strain fed and everything the same, are flowering at way different times and are now almost way different plants.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
For planning and a decent guess, I find it is 12 weeks. Some may be more and a few less.

Pot size does matter, and lots of other things. And yes, they are each unique, but for the most part, guess 12 weeks, and you will be close.

growsince79

growsince79

That they are. It really depends on how much light they get, and how many hours per day. How much they get feed, and how often.

It takes 5-6 weeks under my single t5 for them to sex.

There is no real time limit, you grow them till it ambers up.
I never grew autos, but I keep hearing they get better with amber. That's just the opposite of my photo strains that loose thc when they turn amber.

Sativajoe

Sativajoe

If you believe what the seed breeders tell you,, you may as well believe in the tooth fairy,, it is all marketing
That's why the majority of experienced growers use photos, because they know they can get a lot more in the same period,,and not have to run their lights anywhere near as much

freezeland2

freezeland2

ive noticed that none of the strains of autos produce when they say, many say 8 weeks, they seem to run more like 11 weeks. so is there any way to know how long. i have auto caramelicious, they say 8 weeks. they are 7 weeks old now, and i know they wont be ready in a week, but how can i know how long? why do that?
Done when they done bro, no sooner.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
lol, and there is a whole different topic, what is "done"? it is more of a span that you can chop it and it is done for you.

they are indeed done when you want to chop them, but 12 weeks is still a great place to start, and gives a real answer. but that ole "done when done" wont ever get wrong... neither will it ever be helpful!

freezeland2

freezeland2

lol, and there is a whole different topic, what is "done"? it is more of a span that you can chop it and it is done for you.

they are indeed done when you want to chop them, but 12 weeks is still a great place to start, and gives a real answer. but that ole "done when done" wont ever get wrong... neither will it ever be helpful!
Way to many variables. I have had them finish before advertised time, and more times then not much later. Pretty much up to the plant with an auto.

Top Bottom