How long is too long to veg ?...

• Thread starter Cannibaldee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

I have 8 that started from Seeds and sprouted 4/1/2021,...
And the other 6 sprouted 4/11/2021...
All of them are
Hibiscus sunrise
Got seeds from a friend who is trying out breeding

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It depends on how much grow space you have and the size of the plant. There is no universal "too much vegging" time.

So in this grow, do you have another tent? You're inches from the light as it is. How is stretch going to go?

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Bending terminal cola stalks is a bitch under air-cooled HPS; not sure if you can realistically do it under LED as you need far more headroom to avoid cola bleaching let alone crisping. That's the end result of vegging too long; also if branches from multiple plants are growing into each other you may end up with moldy colas as plants release water vapor during transpiration. Only way to learn though is to see it done by others or go through the process yourself. I've certainly bent my share of stalks and had one or two fried terminal colas.

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

It depends on how much grow space you have and the size of the plant. There is no universal "too much vegging" time.

So in this grow, do you have another tent? You're inches from the light as it is. How is stretch going to go?
Only tent so far I'm building another and the current tent is 7ft tall I haven't burnt any leaves so I keep it about 4-5 inches away

karolanne

karolanne

I agree with others, it depends on your space. Keep in mind they will continue to grow in flo.

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

I agree with others, it depends on your space. Keep in mind they will continue to grow in flo.
Right now they range from 13-18 inches, so double that and I'm hoping they get 3-4 ft tall.
But I'll be happy with 2-3 ft and I'm switching to 12/12 in about a week

karolanne

karolanne

Right now they range from 13-18 inches, so double that and I'm hoping they get 3-4 ft tall.
But I'll be happy with 2-3 ft and I'm switching to 12/12 in about a week
They look nice, that is for sure. What light do you use?

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

They look nice, that is for sure. What light do you use?
t5 ho fluorescent 4x8
And a small red/blue led this is my 1st grow and I built my tent and my lights were a gift. For me to start and learn so I can grow for a friend and my mom and of course me and my wife

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Only tent so far I'm building another and the current tent is 7ft tall I haven't burnt any leaves so I keep it about 4-5 inches away
OK. From that pic, I thought it was one of those 2' x 4' clone/seedling tents.

I'm with the let 'er rip and see what happens school of thought.

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

I’ve been vegging some since February 1st, training and cloning take time
I'm not worried about how long they are in veg, because my goal is to have a successful Grow and since it's my 1st attempt at growing with my set-up... I have no idea what a crap harvest or what a great harvest my setup can/can't produce,
And while seeing what type of training I can be successful at with what I have

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

I'm not worried about how long they are in veg, because my goal is to have a successful Grow and since it's my 1st attempt at growing with my set-up... I have no idea what a crap harvest or what a great harvest my setup can/can't produce,
And while seeing what type of training I can be successful at with what I have
I gotcha man, I’d say a minimum of 30 days veg with 60 being optimal. But different strains require different lengths of growth to achieve its proper maturity in flower. You’ll learn so much from your first grow and find ways to improve along the way. Good luck 👍

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

So far I'm loving playing with my plants ,
I only did 1 manifold since it prolly won't yield much (I just had to try).
7 of them are just L.S.T
And the others "small ones" I only topped

Pondracer

Pondracer

Even within the same strain there are variations. The back plant, left side that is driving up the closest to the lights was always bigger, even before I flipped. 4 seeds from the same package. The two on the right were planted around 8 - 10 days after the ones on the left Taller table, only a 10 day difference but look at the height. IMHO the proper amount of time to veg will come with experience using your setup and knowing when to flip.

GG4 Day118 fullview

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

Even within the same strain there are variations. The back plant, left side that is driving up the closest to the lights was always bigger, even before I flipped. 4 seeds from the same package. The two on the right were planted around 8 - 10 days after the ones on the left Taller table, only a 10 day difference but look at the height. IMHO the proper amount of time to veg will come with experience using your setup and knowing when to flip.

View attachment 1131619
Nice setup,. I'm digging those tables

Pondracer

Pondracer

Nice setup,. I'm digging those tables
Thanks.

Cannibaldee

Cannibaldee

From all my reading and research,...
I have come to a couple of reasons for the "burnt" tips & the leaf curl ....
I over feed nutes ...
Or,
It's more than likely that I have been poorly watering....
Meaning that the 1st 5-7 weeks I was watering with a sprayer and not enough to get any runoff....
I have been watering till runoff for the last week... after I read about it here:)
And have noticed that it looks like "salt" residue.....???

Any comments and/ or opinions are greatly appreciated thank you

Top Bottom