How long till plant starts smelling??

• Thread starter Kylep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kylep

Hi, I’m looking into starting my fist grow, it will be indoors in a grow tent. I have a grow tent already but I don’t have a fan and carbon filter yet so I was just wondering at what point will it start smelling??

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

You don't have to worry about heavy smells until later into flower, then you will need a filter. You will need an exhaust fan for the whole grow though. Fresh air exchange and control of heat and humidity in the tent are absolutely necessary from day one.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mid flower is when I start noticing the sweet dankness as I come through the front door of my house. I use a carbon filter but I also keep my tent open to allow more air exchange, especially during warmer weather. Keep in mind that I'm not overly concerned about hiding it since it's legal to grow at home. People ask me about any trouble due to the smell. Up to now, none what-so-ever. I don't talk about my grow at work so the only ones who know are a few friends and family .... and the postman. lol. During peak flower, it can be smelled outside on the front porch.

If your concerned about hiding it, you've got roughly a month to 6 weeks from sprout before you induce flowering. You will want your carbon filter in place about that time.

K

Kylep

Mid flower is when I start noticing the sweet dankness as I come through the front door of my house. I use a carbon filter but I also keep my tent open to allow more air exchange, especially during warmer weather. Keep in mind that I'm not overly concerned about hiding it since it's legal to grow at home. People ask me about any trouble due to the smell. Up to now, none what-so-ever. I don't talk about my grow at work so the only ones who know are a few friends and family .... and the postman. lol. During peak flower, it can be smelled outside on the front porch.

If your concerned about hiding it, you've got roughly a month to 6 weeks from sprout before you induce flowering. You will want your carbon filter in place about that time.
Ok awesome! I have read some places that some cheaper carbon filters don’t work as good, have you found that to be true?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok awesome! I have read some places that some cheaper carbon filters don’t work as good, have you found that to be true?
If you're wanting to eliminate odor completely, then yes, you need a good quality carbon filter. "Cheap" and inexpensive are not the same. Cheap is poorly made and of low quality. Inexpensive can be of good quality if you do your research and find who sells a good filter at a reasonable price ... I don't know what company I would suggest off the top of my head. I will say this ... stay away from cheap exhaust fans. You'll get only a few months out of them before the bearings go out on them. Look at your exhaust system as an investment and plan on purchasing quality. It sux to have to replace an exhaust fan after just a few months of use.

I'm not up on current brand names as its been a while since I have purchased either an inline fan or carbon filter.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've got an 8" vivosun that crapped out on me after 1 run. I've also got an 8" infinity that has several years of almost non stop use and its still running fine.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’m having good results with my spider farmer fans /scrubbers, my 4” was doing fine but I upstaged to the 6” a few days ago just to increase the airflow. My plants are just starting to flower but I can smell it immediately when stepping into the tent, outside the tent absolutely no odor I turned it off the other day to change the fans out and my wife smelled the plants upstairs within 5 minutes haha and the exhaust outside I check every few days and have no Odor whatsoever just warm air

My wife is the true test, nose like a hound dog, she can’t smell anything at all inside the house or outside so for me that’s a big win haha

Top Bottom