How many buckets in a mini 2k bucket sys?

• Thread starter johnnyballbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
What's up Farm? Have some questions for you krusty/bucket/vertical growers runnin around here. I'm in the process of setting up some simple buckets in my room, nothing fancy as it's a small area, roughly 8x8ft with 2 1,000 watt lights that i wanna try running vertically. The ceiling height is only 6'8" so it's tight quarters. I'll be running 8" cooltubes, with 10" ducting and a 10" Can-fan Max.

Keep in mind i've got a nice sized dehumdifier (for that area), a portable a/c, carbon scrubber, co2 tank and osc fan, plus one wall has a window a/c so i have to have clearance on all sides.

So let's say i have roughly 6x6ft for the footprint of the buckets. How many buckets would you run, and in what configuration? Obviously my situation will be different than how this would normally be done, so i know i won't be having anything close to the 2-3lb plants JK and some talk about. My plants will def be smaller! I was thinking maybe 6 buckets? Kinda making a rectangle more than a square, having one on each of the farthest sides, and 2 on each of the other sides...if that makes sense. Any thoughts?

R

Reeferman

3 buckets per light sounds good , rez temps should be a primary concern also if yous use a pick up pump you can keep your rez out side of the room go with a 40 gal rez the larger the easier to keep temps down , humidity is not that big of a worry until the end of the cycle the can fan max will be more than enough air movement through those cool tubes , what size is the window unit with cool tubes you wont need the portable in that size of room .
Reef

B

boxmunch9

Hey johnny I just tryed a 6 bucket grow failed horribly, and I kick myself for all the time money and effort lost. I thought I was gonna get 1lbers but i only got 6-8oz per plant, had 3 plants die from root rot, but her now I know what a 8oz plant looks like. I would suggest starting out with a hempy buckets type grow first before you set up the tubing required for a bucket system. reason being, you will be able to gauge how big your plants will get, how long you need to veg them and your configuration. the thing with buckets is you cant really move them once there set up. instead of 6 plants now i bumped it up to 20 and have them in a hempy bucket about 75% perlite 25% coco and I am sooo happy, i hand water them once every 3-4 days, so easy its retarded, they look bigger than my 8oz plant from my bucket run, I dont know how I thought 6 plants were gonna fill up that whole room i must have huffed glue and thought I was doubleds. Once you do your first larger plant vertical grow you will be able to really set up your system with knowledge of what to expect. I wish i did this system first because then set up a bucket system because I would have known how long to veg and how to max my yeild. 2000w vertical, make a figure 8 with the plants and stick the bulbs in the middle of each circle.there will be on or 2 lucky plants inbetween the 2000wer the other you can rotate or not. I would try doing 10 plants and you could probably pull 6oz a plant if you veg them about a month. if i every try a bucket system again i know ill kill it

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I've grown large(ish) plants in slabs for years, not a problem not being able to move them. And i've got a chiller and will have insulated 1" piping and insulated buckets. Will have the air pump drawing air from outside the room so as to not pump co2 to the roots. I've grown a single plant in a bucket system that was kinda similar, i don't think it will be all that hard to pull off. At least i'm optimistic. ;) And Reef, even with that kind of cooling, you'd be surprised how the heat builds up in that little area. I didn't mean to say i use the portable AND the window unit at the same time, kinda fucked that up. I'll use the portable during times that it'd look suspicious running a window unit, and sometimes it ends up workin out that i run the window unit during the day and the portable at night when it's just barely getting warm enough outside to justify using a window unit for "normal" use. The window unit is 12k btu, and the portable is 10k btu. I won't be using side lighting, but overall i still expect to see respectable gains in yield as opposed to what i've been doing.

B

boxmunch9

no its not the larger plant thats hard to move, its the actual bucket system they are in a fixed position. and without vertical lighting you will see no increase in yeild, let me post a pic for you to see you can easily do vertical lighting with 2 lights

B

boxmunch9

the sick thing about vertical lighting is your canopy is 4ft deep, with over head lighting your canopy is like 10inches to a 1ft deep. the bump in yeild is from those extra 3 ft of bud that are gettin full light.

B

boxmunch9

the last pic you can see the fan cooling the lights screwed into a sawhorse wrapped in a little acoustic blanket, its sucking the hot air and blowing up into the living room making for free whole house heating, hhaha well not free but heat that other wise would be wasted lets say

B

boxmunch9

you will see a big increase from that Co2 though even with overhead lighting. you got a res chiller so you will have success in buckets, i didnt that was my big mistake

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Hell yeah boxmunch, thanks for all the pics buddy. Been busy as hell with life (lol) but now that things are winding down, i'm gonna be starting the construction tonight. I wanna hang my lights first, then build the system around that.

B

boxmunch9

yea man second vertical grow, hempy style. still gonna do buckets one day when i can one big room instead of two and i have enough amps to do a sealed room. good luck dude its fun as shit

here some of my attempted bucket grow, notice the res directly under a 600w, 4 more bulbs were hung in that room too

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I def know i won't be getting HUGE plants, hence the naming of the thread. I'd be happy with 6 plants averaging 8oz's each as things will be cramped. The lights will probably only be spaced a foot apart or so, which made me almost consider running one light. Guess we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom