How Many Cola's Per Sq Ft Do You Have?

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GoM3z

5x5 is 25 sq foot, how you get 340g/sq foot?
With a lot of LST, care and attention... and some kick ass lights :)

I’ve had time the luxury of doing this for a while. It’s a perpetual grow so harvesting every month, split between 4 5x5 spaces. If you take a look at the pics posted it’ll give you an idea of the technique. What it doesn’t show is the climatización, my biggest challenge.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask ;)

G

GoM3z

That would be 18 pounds in a 5x5 lol, something isnt adding up.

Also, does anyone else find the term "cola" as annoying as I do? I dont know why but I've always hated calling the tops colas...

Heh, yup. I guess technically, cola refers to a bud site. But, I misuse it a bit in my logs, when I say 72 colas, I mean 72 main branches. A cola is typically referred to as the main branches bud site.

My math is good, think it was misinterpreted somehow. I would love to yield a pound per square ft :) unfortunately I yield around 68 grams, depicted in the foto, usually 3 main colas/branches per square ft.

If a 5x5 is 25sq ft, and I yield around 1700gms, that certainly does equate to a pound per square ft! Dreams are free ;)

E

Ednl

Heh, yup. I guess technically, cola refers to a bud site. But, I misuse it a bit in my logs, when I say 72 colas, I mean 72 main branches. A cola is typically referred to as the main branches bud site.

My math is good, think it was misinterpreted somehow. I would love to yield a pound per square ft :) unfortunately I yield around 68 grams, depicted in the foto, usually 3 main colas/branches per square ft.

If a 5x5 is 25sq ft, and I yield around 1700gms, that certainly does equate to a pound per square ft! Dreams are free ;)
How long did you veg them?

N

NorCalGroEr

That looks awesome! Whatcha getting per square ft?
I put 9 plants in 3gal coco under 1000watt hps se. I think this harvest was just under a unit it’s really hard for me to get weight outta these smaller tents got a 5x5 and a couple sun system ac/de, hopefully I can get over a p finally lol

N

NorCalGroEr

Any advice from anyone getting real weight from tents would be very appreciated my Iights haven’t turned off since 2011, I don’t think I’ve had one harvest that beat .5 grams a watt🤦‍♂️

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Any advice from anyone getting real weight from tents would be very appreciated my Iights haven’t turned off since 2011, I don’t think I’ve had one harvest that beat .5 grams a watt🤦‍♂️

Measuring gpw with HID is misleading and honestly I think a lot of people fudge their numbers with regard to yield per sqft. There are some spectacular growers who can pull off more than a pound per 4x4 but it takes the right high yielding strain and a lot of training and creative lighting. A top lit flat canopy only has so much cubic area to grow bud in, to yield more in that footprint you need to go up and integrate side lighting etc..
Just under a pound from a 4x4 is an awesome yield as far as I'm concerned.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Measuring gpw with HID is misleading and honestly I think a lot of people fudge their numbers with regard to yield per sqft. There are some spectacular growers who can pull off more than a pound per 4x4 but it takes the right high yielding strain and a lot of training and creative lighting. A top lit flat canopy only has so much cubic area to grow bud in, to yield more in that footprint you need to go up and integrate side lighting etc..
Just under a pound from a 4x4 is an awesome yield as far as I'm concerned.

Seriusly? I got 15 oz dry decent buds my first grow in a 4x4 tent with a 400 mh for veg and a 600hps for flower with greenhouse seeds auto northern lights.

Best full run now almost 6 years later was 22 oz. known cuttings 4 plants.

I got a pound in my 3x3 with a 315 cmh.

I think pk products limit production and kill plants off early. Patience in watering and everything else and using only a balanced grow ratio and of course a stable environment and proper light coverage got me those numbers.

Im sure the great genetics helped. But it works with any respected breeders. I have done ch9, cali connection, hso, greenhouse seeds. European bulk seeds, dinafem etc.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Seriusly? I got 15 oz dry decent buds my first grow in a 4x4 tent with a 400 mh for veg and a 600hps for flower with greenhouse seeds auto northern lights.

Best full run now almost 6 years later was 22 oz. known cuttings 4 plants.

I got a pound in my 3x3 with a 315 cmh.

I think pk products limit production and kill plants off early. Patience in watering and everything else and using only a balanced grow ratio and of course a stable environment and proper light coverage got me those numbers.

Im sure the great genetics helped. But it works with any respected breeders. I have done ch9, cali connection, hso, greenhouse seeds. European bulk seeds, dinafem etc.

You basically just verified what I said lol. You're a pretty naturally spectacular grower dude haha. And those yields are pretty much in line with what I said.

And yeah of course it can be done but you do need the right genetics and some skill and experience. Personally I think anywhere around a pound per 4x4 is a decent yield. Pushing for more than that usually requires advanced skills and techniques, and often sacrificing some things like adequate ventilation etc.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You basically just verified what I said lol. You're a pretty naturally spectacular grower dude haha. And those yields are pretty much in line with what I said.
I have been pretty consistently yielding 3.5 pounds on average in an 8x8 for a while with 2k. Which is just under a pound per 4x4. I could probably squeeze in more but it would cost me in move veg time and crowd the room too much for my liking.
And yeah of course it can be done but you do need the right genetics and some skill and experience. Personally I think anywhere around a pound per 4x4 is a decent yield. Pushing for more than that usually requires advanced skills and techniques, and often sacrificing some things like adequate ventilation etc.

Well thank you for the compliment but i simply followed the old grow book. I didnt even bend the plants on purpose my first grow. They got too tall for my space.

Also i think plants yield much more with space around them. I see the canopy as how deep the good buds go as well as across the top. I want them growing well 2.5 feet down the plant.

This is the opposite of what i mostly see. I see nets and small buds filling the canopy but nothing lower really.

Too much training has always hurt my results.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well thank you for the compliment but i simply followed the old grow book. I didnt even bend the plants on purpose my first grow. They got too tall for my space.

Also i think plants yield much more with space around them. I see the canopy as how deep the good buds go as well as across the top. I want them growing well 2.5 feet down the plant.

This is the opposite of what i mostly see. I see nets and small buds filling the canopy but nothing lower really.

Too much training has always hurt my results.

Same here, I dont do a ton of training either. I do keep a slightly shallower canopy of about 18-24" by lollipopping which probably knocks my yield down some. Truthfully yield isnt my primary motivator so I'm willing to sacrifice some yield to produce a crop that's all tops and mids with fewer small buds and make trimming easier, and increase airflow and like you said, give the plants some space. Less PM risk, easier to keep the environment from stratifying.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

5x5 is 25 sq foot, how you get 340g/sq foot?

Maybe he's wet weight. Perpetutal in a scrog they all look the same age too. Not sure how he does perpetual in a scrog and harvest every 30 days? Super man

I just pulled 2 plants down from a 2x4 space yieldwas 13.5 zips DRY in the can after trim under 300w

So that's 1.26 g/watt in soil nothing but water veg thru flower organic.

I don't count colas but I did get 27 branches per plant give or take. Grown natural no topping (only early VEG).

Strains = Future and Liquid Imagination

These 2 plants are the left 2 in the pic - I've got a whole room full. I am perpetual so chop usually weekly a plant or 2. This week I've already chopped 2 and will chop 3 more here today/tomorrow.

Future in the front. liquid imagination (Bigger yielder) in the back.

DSC 0002

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Better lights and/or stop topping.

I do more than a # in a 4x4 regularly. If I run past 60 days in flower I get disappointed unless landrace sativa and then I get close to a # per plant but they are un-ruley on a good day. I run soil nothing but water no ZERO none fertilizers. No-till ftw.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Better lights and/or stop topping.

I do more than a # in a 4x4 regularly. If I run past 60 days in flower I get disappointed unless landrace sativa and then I get close to a # per plant but they are un-ruley on a good day. I run soil nothing but water no ZERO none fertilizers. No-till ftw.

How long is the Veg time?

G

GoM3z

Maybe he's wet weight. Perpetutal in a scrog they all look the same age too. Not sure how he does perpetual in a scrog and harvest every 30 days? Super man

I just pulled 2 plants down from a 2x4 space yieldwas 13.5 zips DRY in the can after trim under 300w

So that's 1.26 g/watt in soil nothing but water veg thru flower organic.

I don't count colas but I did get 27 branches per plant give or take. Grown natural no topping (only early VEG).

Strains = Future and Liquid Imagination

These 2 plants are the left 2 in the pic - I've got a whole room full. I am perpetual so chop usually weekly a plant or 2. This week I've already chopped 2 and will chop 3 more here today/tomorrow.

Future in the front. liquid imagination (Bigger yielder) in the back.

View attachment 890304

No, that's dry vendable weight, but as mentioned, that other person's math is waaaaay off. My wet weight is around 5,700g! I usually have a reduction factor of about 3-3.5.

I get the following from a 5x5 (every month):
1700g +- / 68g+- per sq ft / 60oz / 3.75 pounds
9 plants (all mainlined in to 8 main branches)
1000W Quantum LED (I built these custom, to get full 5x5 canopy coverage)
1.7gm per Watt

Perpetual grow is a challenge, but you develop an efficient system, roll with it, dial it in and perfect it.

G

GoM3z

My Advice (No warranty included)

Strain
:
If you want to yield big, start with a strain that can get you there. Get a dozen or more seeds of your chosen strain and then invest time to find within that strain the phenotype that suits your space, style to grow and desired flower profile. Basically plant the lot, label each seed, clone each one before switching to flower. Once you have found the champion within the strain, you now have a champion mother plant, every clone will based off her going forward, giving you the best possible start. NOTE a champion strain in shit environment will outperform a shit strain in a champion environment.

Environment:
My biggest challenge, by far. Get your temp and humidity under control. Ideal temps and humidity levels are readily available online, but it will depend on your strain to a large degree. It's not that some strains like very humid or hot conditions, its just that some are more tolerant to it. generally speaking, I am for the following:
VEG - TEMP: 18-26c (water temp 21c) / 65-78F HUMIDITY 55-60%
FLOWER - TEMP18-30c (water temp 21c) / 65-78F HUMIDITY 45-55% (I slowly get dryer and dryer during flower, but at the end of flower I like the humidity low)
AIR FLOW: Extremely important. I grow a flat canopy, about 40-60cm deep (rough guess). Therefore, I need a ton of air not just on top, but on the side and underneath. Without which I would have mould and PM issues + very small underling buds. Buds need good air flow, it keeps humidity down, in turn preventing nasty bacteria getting a foot hold, and these bacteria are everywhere, just waiting for wet/warm conditions where they thrive.

Also, ensure you have an exhaust that can change all the air within your space every few minutes. There are plenty of calculators online for making your choice. The advice I have here is to go with an extractor at least a little bit bigger than you need.

Automate whenever possible.

Nutrients
:
Less is best. Forget the notion that there is a nutrient line that will give you the miracle grow. Pick a quality, mature nutrient line. Learn the biology of your plant. Understand what the plant needs and, more importantly, when it needs it. The question of "how much do i feed my plant?" is simply answered with "Depends on on how much it is eating". Measure both what you put in and what comes out. I take measurements of both run-off and a soil sample to workout how much is needed in the next feed. Keep it consistent, plants respond well to a schedule. I personally try my coco grow as hydro. I do multiple light feedings throughout the day and achieve at least 20% run off. You want your plants feeding at a particular EC constantly, which depends on stage of the plant. This is a bit different in a soil grow though, people who grow that way can better advise if this is you method.

Lastly, Keep your reservoir clean and healthy.Always keep the solution mixed, I use another water pump to give it a good stir on a schedule. I also run 90L plus reservoirs so I'm not constantly re-filling. More time to spend on the plants.

Treat Your Tent Like a Temple:
In a grow room, cleanliness is godliness. Methodically clean during and after each stage of your grow. Use bleach, kill everything when you can. DONT BE LAZY. You get out what you put in. I have a cleaning schedule that I stick to, it is part of a larger pest management plan. If you reuse things like cloth pots, clean very very well. Don;t just clean floor, include every surface, wall and ceiling. Think preventative rather than reactive. NEVER, EVER introduce something alien to your grow room without first doing a thorough inspection, treatment etc. Best idea (if possible), be self sufficient, and treat your grow environment like a surgeon tables, impeccable. If you are not naturally this way inclined, try smoking more weed to get that OCD going.

Method:
Personally, I just want top quality tops. I don't waste time with any small bud site lower down. They will never develop into good vendable product, you will need to extra time harvesting these tiny buds, which is not efficient, and all that energy could have gone into the main vendable bud sites. Therefore, I grow mainlined plants with 8 main colas each. 9 plants, very lollipoped, fills my 5x5 space. The method that I developed and adapted was inherited from the mythic nebula haze. worth researching. In my experience, topping and LST'ing, done properly, at the right time, consistently will always promote better more aggressive growth. Remember, we don;t grow single colas indoors because we don;t grow under a light source that moves around the plant like that of the sun. We want wide canopies because our indoor light source is fix and is constantly pointing straight down on the canopy. Good quality lights will penetrate to 40-50cm down, as long as you are not too squashed together. there should be zero plant matter underneath. I will religiously trim and LST my plants right up to 1-3 weeks in flower, but once you see flowers develop you should be done with any pruning. LST'ing on the hand should be done right up to harvest to ensure that canopy is flat flat flat. You have done it wrong if you have any one of those 8 colas dominating. Using this method, I aim for around an oz per cola. Which makes 8oz per plant (around 240g per plant).

This is my method and I worked extremely hard to dial it in. At first, it was hard to keep up with, but you learn tricks to facilitate efficiency and you get fast at it, to the point where you don;t really think about it. With this technique I'm getting close to 2grams per watt. I've only read about one other person who get close. Understand though, I grow for quantity, and my method is adapted around this. Learn your plants and the quality will naturally follow.

Pest Control:
decide on a proactive preventative pest management plan and stick to it religiously. Personally, on top of OCD cleanliness, I use neem, beneficial insects. I leanrt my lessons the hard way, I have had battles with spider mites, broad mites, and root aphids. All introduced from foreign plants. Never again.

Equipment:
Buy quality. Equipment failures can result in dead plants, especially when using hydroponics and irrigation systems.
Use quantum LEDs, HLG have some great DIY kits, top quality components.

Keep Learning
Learn each step in the process perfectly, for which ever method you chose, then once learnt, make it better. Adapt to YOUR environment, each person has different factors to consider, understand your own.

Observe
I have a perpetual grow and harvesting every month, and in between months I am extremely attentive to all plants. I have 4 zones divided into 2x 10x5ft grow rooms. As well as harvest every month, I rotate around every batch to the next stage. Essentially, I have 5 zones - clone/veg1, veg2, flower1 and flower 2. Everyday, I will spend at least an hour inspecting and LST'ing every plant. You become very good at it after a while and you learn and develop your own technique that suits you and your conditions.

...I hope you find some of this info useful, please don't hesitate to ask any questions. I posed some pics in orevious posts if you need a reference for what I'm talking about in terms of mainlining and LST. Best of luck with the grow man!!! I almost envy you, you have a clean slate almost, you get to research the shit out of it and develop a pattern that works for you.

A final thought,I'm a developer by trade, I work with patterns and practices that help facilitate the development of elegant code. First rule: occam's razor, the simplest solution is the best... keep it simple and apply a pattern to your grow that is repeatable, extensible and scalable. A philosophy that I've had a lot of success with.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

I get the following from a 5x5 (every month):
1700g +- / 68g+- per sq ft / 60oz / 3.75 pounds
9 plants (all mainlined in to 8 main branches)
1000W Quantum LED (I built these custom, to get full 5x5 canopy coverage)
1.7gm per Watt

What strain are you running that finishes in 30 days? Sounds like you are making yourself sound better or faster than reality. I run strains that finish in under 50 days and thats fast.

Harvest every 30 days in a 5x5 9 plants.... that's not possible.

I think you forgot a month, just sayin.

First you said perpetual, now its harvest 9 plants every 30 days? So you must have more than 1 flowering room??

I'm using the "old" math tho. Maybe I need a better calculator.

Top Bottom