How Many Colas Per Square Foot... How Much Is Too Much?

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Working on my 2nd grow... started wondering.. what it optimum amount of colas per sq foot of grow space.. will too many yield smaller buds.. are a fewer amount better overall for health and size?
Looking for a general consensus of opinions and hopefully some facts.

Choppr

Choppr

I only top mine once, and then bend down lateral/side branches, usually 8-12 cola's, they are then usually longer and bigger and always need to be held up - I try to find strains that have a good branching habit and mostly grow Sati's.
almost all of mine are shaped like this, a kind of candelabra shape in early training.. I run a perpetual grow so there are always 3 plants popping off every 8-10 weeks - I have plenty of weed so I dont really need to go crazy with training, Im usually about 6-8 oz per plant x 3 plants. This was an out of sequence loner had a tent to herself, just harvested yesterday, next 3 are pictured too (wk 4 and wk 3 of flower), right on!

IMG 6272
IMG 6271
IMG 6045
IMG 6321
IMG 6324
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Nice size.... your buds seem fatter than mine had turned out .. I had close to 17 on the last grow.. wondering is that part of the reason for smaller buds.

1stgrow

I'm guessing your expressing your just content with the size and volume your producing.. I'm just working through the novelty of it... not the amount more like the "grow" ... different methods... this grow I'm trying a scrog.. it's been fun and interesting... but the curiosity side of me wonders how many you can pack in a square foot without diminishing returns.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
the curiosity side of me wonders how many you can pack in a square foot without diminishing returns.
I doubt it could be accurately quantified without including all the factors involved, which probably is nearly impossible outside of a laboratory environment.

PooToe

PooToe

I don't really try and grow big flowers as they are more susceptible to bud rot and drying issues. I prefer growing 100 midsized flowers than 10 big ones. Genetics plays the biggest part in how big a flower you can grow. In a 5 x 5 I pulled almost 4 lbs. using ScrOG as the grow method with 5 plants.

7munkee

7munkee

Depends on cola size. Say the average cola is 6-8 inches across. Do you want to jam 10 of them in a square foot and have their leaves overlap?

Choppr

Choppr

Nice size.... your buds seem fatter than mine had turned out .. I had close to 17 on the last grow.. wondering is that part of the reason for smaller buds.

I'm guessing your expressing your just content with the size and volume your producing.. I'm just working through the novelty of it... not the amount more like the "grow" ... different methods... this grow I'm trying a scrog.. it's been fun and interesting... but the curiosity side of me wonders how many you can pack in a square foot without diminishing returns.

Your Plant looks great by the way...Yeah a multi-topped bush in smallish 5 gal pots will only maintain so much mass, unless your runnin hi-frequency fertigation system? I ran 1000w Halides back in the day, 1 plant per Light in 15 gal pots, and a multi-topped bush can put out a lot of weed when pushed hard, but again they were only medium sized nugs, but I was getting over a pound per plant. Ive bred my own crosses for years, and when doing viability testing, sometimes we will strip all off all of the side branches leaving only 4-6 mains and buds will get huge (pictured) - this tent is 6'6" tall, So yeah, how their trained is how it works, Think of just 4 mains and all that energy feeding 4 buds - lol (buds this big can get moldy - have to keep that humidity way low we were at around 10% RH) keep at it Jack!

Harvest 2
Harvest 3
Harvest 4
Harvest 1
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Chop... you raised some thugs their... hope you put a leash on them.. before taking them outside for a walk.....

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

OK... Think I figured out the maximum amount of thugs one can grow per square foot..

THUGS

Sorry... I meant cannabis colas...

Latest posts

Top Bottom