How many lights in non med state?

• Thread starter Z-ro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DO IT

DO IT

Reloader hit the nail on the head. The power companies don't watch the amount of the bill in $$$ with the new smart meters. They are looking for a pattern 12hrs on 12hrs off/18hrs on 6hrs off. That's the give away for them. This is why using a powerbox/flip box is a good idea, you have a constant use going on 24/7 Kinda like your pool pump.

The following is a question I asked the guys at powerbox.....

!?$&@ what's up? I got a quick question for you. The amp meter on the power box is measuring 1 leg or both? Thanks.

Both. For 240V outlets, you get a true reading. On the 120's, the legs alternate red/black/red/black/red. If you are running something 120v off just red that is 5 amps, it will add 5 amps to the meter. Then if you add something that is 5 amps to a black leg, the reading will stay the same because the amperage is calculated at 240v

‎Ok I got it. If I'm running 10 ballast and it reads 60a that's the load for both legs combined. Thanks

Hey do you mind if I post this on the forum?

That's cool - if you think it is understandable.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Well you can never be 100% sure. That's what I am trying to say about the Pwrbox. I run 3,200w and only use 20.75 amps and my bill for a 4 bd house and with electric sauna which is used every night, is about $250 month. The box saves power, also run your ballast on 240v for only 1/2 the amperage and less power.

This is somewhat incorrect.

Running anything at a higher voltage cuts the amps down but it doesn't draw less power. Your powerbox doesn't save you on your power bills. And at 240v your amps are down but you are still drawing the same amount of power (watts).

DO IT

DO IT

Running anything at a higher voltage cuts the amps down but it doesn't draw less power. Your powerbox doesn't save you on your power bills. And at 240v your amps are down but you are still drawing the same amount of power (watts).

This is correct ,but running digital ballast at 240v is more efficient so there is a small amount of reduction in total amps used.

Billyboat

Billyboat

This is correct ,but running digital ballast at 240v is more efficient so there is a small amount of reduction in total amps used.

Yes, this is exactly what I said...

It doesn't matter if it's digital or not....it's simple math....more volts= less amps=same power drawn.

Take a 100 amp single phase panel for example...

At 240v, we can could run 15-16 1000w ballasts for an 80 or so amp draw. It will draw 80 amps per leg for a balanced load.

At 120v can still run 15-16 ballasts, only difference is I can only have 8 on each "leg"/"phase" of power. Each leg still draws 80 amps.

In both cases we're still getting 15-16 lights out of the setup.

Where it gets fun is 3 phase power!

Now I can run 24 1ks off a 100 amp 3 phase panel because I have another "leg" to balance the load out, the load across ABC is still 80 amps each.

reloader

reloader

My understanding is that, although very slight, less electricity is used having your ballast on 240v, it definitely runs cooler because in 240v, you are splitting the load down 2 wires where as 120v is a single line carrying the whole load. I only meant the "box" could save $$ was by easily providing 240v which again, my understanding is that it uses slightly less elec.. Pwrbox is so handy though, I love it, it basically safely runs my entire room.

Billyboat

Billyboat

"Less electricity is used" is too broad of a statement.

Are you talking amps, watts, or?

You pay for kilowatts not amps. Watts are watts.

Watts/volts=amps

At 240v yes you can run smaller wire, but there are more of them.
At 110v it's a larger wire but less runs of it.

Yes at 240 it will run cooler, but that has nothing to do with the light. My lumateks run 10 degrees warmer then my solisteks even though they are all on 208v. Just one disappointed heats better.

Cheers!

C

crocodile og

I recently upgraded to digital ballasts.

My magnetic 1ks drew 1150 watts my digitals 980

Mag 600s 700 watts the digitals 615.

Well worth the investment imo. Especially when its 10 or more lights.

Billyboat

Billyboat

I recently upgraded to digital ballasts.

My magnetic 1ks drew 1150 watts my digitals 980

Mag 600s 700 watts the digitals 615.

Well worth the investment imo. Especially when its 10 or more lights.

I don't understand how ur 1000w digital ballast puts out more power then it takes in, or it may be that your ballast isn't powering all the way up. What brand?

.my digitals still use 1130 or so watts.

Last edited:
C

crocodile og

I don't understand how ur 1000w digital ballast puts out more power then it takes in, or it may be that your ballast isn't powering all the way up. What brand?

.my digitals still use 1130 or so watts.

Oh yeah bro depends on the model. When I hit super lumen switch it bumps it up to 1100 or so.

Nano digi 600s and power plant 1ks

My point is digis save a few watts is all.

Maybe the 100% setting is under clocked.

Got a 3x1k and 2x600 vertical garden coming down soon. Its going to be interesting to see the result.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Powerboxes do not save you any energy/money,nor does running 240 vs. 120,your still using the same amount of power.While digis may be a little more efficient and run a bit cooler 1000 watts is 1000 watts draw no matter how you slice it.240v is basically 2 lines of 120v so amp draw is split in 1/2 so the circuit is not worked as hard and you can then run more without overloading the circuit but it has zero to do with power consumption/how much you pay,ZERO.

DO IT

DO IT

Powerboxes do not save you any energy/money,nor does running 240 vs. 120,your still using the same amount of power.While digis may be a little more efficient and run a bit cooler 1000 watts is 1000 watts draw no matter how you slice it.240v is basically 2 lines of 120v so amp draw is split in 1/2 so the circuit is not worked as hard and you can then run more without overloading the circuit but it has zero to do with power consumption/how much you pay,ZERO.

Thats the bottom line. Its just a matter of being more efficient.

Top Bottom