How Many Tomato Plants Can I Fit In A 6 By 12 Raised Bed?

• Thread starter DennisGalan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DennisGalan

I got my raised garden bed through the backyard services(http://inthebackyard.ca/) . How many tomato plants can i fit in a 6 by 12 raised bed? This is my first experience gardening in raised beds. I am wondering if i can crowd things a bit.

Raised garden bed
scoop

scoop

That's 6 x 12? Must be one of those optical delusions......doesn't look that large in the pics.

Tomatoes take a lot of space. You'll likely need to add some trellis or other supports....then if you are successful you'll need a ladder to get to the top of the plant in such a tall bed

From: http://kgi.org/?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7B...965m1uCYA8DxwCAzZ38SUifQQdgcqu3myuxoCu-nw_wcB

Ideal spacing for home garden tomatoes is generally 24 to 36 inches between plants. Planting closer than 24 inches reduces air circulation around the plants and can trigger disease outbreaks. Large-vine tomatoes should be spaced 36 inches apart. Rows should be 4 to 5 feet apart.

Taking this info into consideration...I'd say 3 per bed....4 at most.

Are you planting determinate or indeterminate plants? (hopefully heirloom varieties)

We have about 25 in the ground here. Amos Coli...Berkeley Tie Dye...Cherokee Purple, Green Copia, Black Krim....

good luck

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
If you prune them you can actually squeeze in quite a few...

Looking at that bed if thats 6 X 12 i'll eat my own ass out...

I'd say at best and at MOST 4 would fit in that bed if your pruning back the side growths and just allowing them to go straight up.

G gnome

G gnome

I'd say at best and at MOST 4 would fit in that bed if your pruning back the side growths and just allowing them to go straight up.
Thats how the pros do it......i dont mean rimming their own ass....i mean training em to grow like vines haha

BudBogart

BudBogart

Don't know if there are any prizes for explanations, but the picture he posted is a stock photo of a planter box they build to any specs.
That's my guess, anyway.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Thats how the pros do it......i dont mean rimming their own ass....i mean training em to grow like vines haha

I just pruned the living shit out of mine the other day Was really impressed the new growth they pack on afterwards.. Training my pumpkin plant now wanna see if i can get it to crawl up the deck to the rail.. Fun challenge :D

Maybe 2 of those boxes are 6 x 12?

G gnome

G gnome

I just pruned the living shit out of mine the other day Was really impressed the new growth they pack on afterwards.. Training my pumpkin plant now wanna see if i can get it to crawl up the deck to the rail.. Fun challenge :D

Maybe 2 of those boxes are 6 x 12?
3×7

Top Bottom