how moist for vacuum sealing?

• Thread starter MisterAvocado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MisterAvocado

I plan to vacuum seal some medicine for longer-term storage (3+ months). After a 7-day dry at 55% RH, I have cured for a week in plastic food storage containers (http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/47515/Round-Plastic-Container--6-Quart.htm) with regular burping. Moisture level is pretty uniform through the containers. buds a still a bit moist. good strong smell.

A couple questions about the vacuum sealing process:

Should I keep bubs in food storage containers for a couple more weeks before sealing?

How moist should buds be at time of vacuum sealing?

Any recommendations for a good vac sealer? I am leaning toward the Weston Vacuum Sealer Pro-2100 ($400). It has a manual mode. I am concerned that the $100-$200 Foodsaver models (which only have auto-mode) would over-compress my meds.

H

HighCreek

for long term storage the buds should be fully dried/cured b4 sealing up! ;)

C

CHEVYBOX

3 months is not long term to me.. I would just leave it in jars unless you have multiple lbs.. I also wouldnt waste the money on the high tech vac for just the occasional use.. You can manually operate the cheep foodsaver version if you know what your doing.. Back you your question on how dry? you should wait another couple weeks.. You want it dry as a bone and cured for several weeks before longterm storage..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I plan to vacuum seal some medicine for longer-term storage (3+ months). After a 7-day dry at 55% RH, I have cured for a week in plastic food storage containers (http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/47515/Round-Plastic-Container--6-Quart.htm) with regular burping. Moisture level is pretty uniform through the containers. buds a still a bit moist. good strong smell.

A couple questions about the vacuum sealing process:

Should I keep bubs in food storage containers for a couple more weeks before sealing?

How moist should buds be at time of vacuum sealing?

Any recommendations for a good vac sealer? I am leaning toward the Weston Vacuum Sealer Pro-2100 ($400). It has a manual mode. I am concerned that the $100-$200 Foodsaver models (which only have auto-mode) would over-compress my meds.
I would keep the bud in the containers with some sort of air flow, doesn't have to be a lot, but it needs to be there, for another two weeks at least. I personally like a nice, long, gentle cure, in the dark, at 60%-65% total humidity. I like to seal the buds when they're at the lower range, just in case, when I finally get them to the point that I like. I think you'd be doing well if you sealed them up while they're in that range of 60%-65% humidity, if possible.

I only have a home-type of vacuum sealer, though a friend has recommended others (commercial, I assume), but I can't remember what he recommended to me as it was a while ago. He basically said that almost anything is better than what you can buy at Walmart, if that helps.

As for whether or not you can adjust how much air is vacuumed out with Foodsavers, yes, you can, you can just press the stop button when you feel it's time to seal. We have a stand-up model that we got at Costco. There is also a moist-dry setting, and a normal-gentle vacuum setting.

M

MisterAvocado

thanks!

Exactly the info I wanted. you guys (and girl) are awesome. just ordered a couple of those hygrometers.

Top Bottom