How much butane do I need... šŸ„“?

• Thread starter Blakeja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blakeja

Blakeja

Hi guys havenā€™t ran any bho for awhile.
have two ice cream buckets, 4L I believe? full of close trim and buds not worth trimming.

thinking Iā€™m going to buy a 18ā€section of 1.5ā€ PVC with caps on either end coffee filters etc.

pretty confident in my method just curious how much butane I should buy because I always seemed to never have enough before.

any tips trick and advice in the matter are much appreciated! šŸ˜

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Hi guys havenā€™t ran any bho for awhile.
have two ice cream buckets, 4L I believe? full of close trim and buds not worth trimming.

thinking Iā€™m going to buy a 18ā€section of 1.5ā€ PVC with caps on either end coffee filters etc.

pretty confident in my method just curious how much butane I should buy because I always seemed to never have enough before.

any tips trick and advice in the matter are much appreciated! šŸ˜

Good Morning; as a former BHO producer may i strongly suggest you not do as you have proposed. Glass and PVC are NOT good materials to use. They get brittle and explode under unpredictable amounts of pressure. ā˜  Remember YOU ARE BUILDING A PIPE BOMB; that leaks highly explosive gas on purpose. ā˜ 

If you are set on doing this, please at least use a steel tube! A better idea may be an alcohol wash. Your call though, Please be safe and make sure you do it outside (not in the garage either).

Good Luck šŸ˜Ž

Blakeja

Blakeja

Would a bag/block of dry ice not be a lot safer bet than butane :-)

i have never heard of This.. I used to do this as a kid probably ten years ago. And after reading @AnselAdams comments I feel lucky to not of had a bad experience as the conditions I did this prior were quite less than ideal.. open flames and indoors Iā€™m almost certain weā€™re present lol.

I love the end result from bho but if anyone has a better method or formula to come up with a similar product without any downfalls iam all ears.. or eyes I should say.šŸ˜

CF89

CF89

Iā€™m in the same boat. Fresh frozen BHO. Going to make some today.

You can buy proper glass extractor tubes for $40. Donā€™t make homemade pvc junk contraptions. Iā€™ve used glass extractors for decades with no problems. I donā€™t like blasting into glass though. Stainless steel for that

1. how tight/clogged is your filter/material that youā€™re creating enough pressure to make an explosion with a 5mm thick glass tube? I know my screen (with about 2500 microholes open to atmosphere) and hose clamped on is good for about .001 psi of pressure... these cans of butane arenā€™t a 200psi air compressor ya know. If your extractor blows up before your screen lets go, you got others issues.

2. Why is your glass extractor seeing insane temperature changes (usually from cold to hot) and causing it to break? Where is this heat coming from and why is your extractor getting hot at any point causing the glass to break with the cold temps of the butane????

I bet Iā€™ve done 100 runs in a glass extractor over 15 years.

do not ever do any of this inside. I know a guy that blew it up making it in the bathroom. Melted his adidas pants to his legs and tried lifting the ceiling off the house. It cracked the paint at the top of the walls where the ceiling meets the wall. Scary stuff.

Usually I use a can per oz when doing small runs of AAA bud

my extractor will hold around 4oz and Iā€™ll run 2 cans through it and go from there.

After 1.95 cans are done. Let that last 5% of the last can get a few drops on your finger.... is it sticky? Smell like weed? Or barely sticky and just smells green. You know at that point if sheā€™s rinsed or not

Last edited:
CF89

CF89

One small detail why I donā€™t like blasting into glass. The butane is ice cold. Gets the glass ice cold.

I evaporate the butane via warm water double boiler (not hot) and it seems that putting an ice cold dish into warm water is a bad idea. So I use stainless steel dish to blast into.

the extractor can be glass though. It shouldnā€™t and isnā€™t be being exposed to drastic temp changes like the butane dish is.

Blakeja

Blakeja

One small detail why I donā€™t like blasting into glass. The butane is ice cold. Gets the glass ice cold.

I evaporate the butane via warm water double boiler (not hot) and it seems that putting an ice cold dish into warm water is a bad idea. So I use stainless steel dish to blast into.

the extractor can be glass though. It shouldnā€™t and isnā€™t be being exposed to drastic temp changes like the butane dish is.

thank you for sharing your wisdom, if itā€™s cool I may DM you if I have any questions that pop up?

just buying equipment atm.

CF89

CF89

Yup all good. Iā€™ve made lots of mistakes and can share lots of knowledge haha.

Post what youā€™re gonna buy before making the purchase.

Blakeja

Blakeja

Yup all good. Iā€™ve made lots of mistakes and can share lots of knowledge haha.

Post what youā€™re gonna buy before making the purchase.

Any suggestions? Trying to keep things as cheap as possible with an open loop system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom