How much CalMag needed with RO Water

• Thread starter RustyShakleford
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RustyShakleford

HI ALL!! I just Transplanted clones into my RDWC and will be using Advanced Nutrients M,G,B. I recently purchased a small 100gpd RO unit, and wanted to get some opinions on how much CalMag I should be using??

Any info on this one would be very helpful :)

OGONLY

OGONLY

So you go Full Board with it.. Are you putting it in before your micros/nutes?

I think you mean "full bore".

If the plants are small and young or clones you can go with 2 or 3 ml/gal. For mature plants 5ml/gal is usually perfect, and will make your R/O water 200 ppm or so after the addition. I always add calmag to my mixes first, but it doesn't need to be added first.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Lilly, do yourself a huge favor and read this thread start to finish.https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ves-to-overpriced-hydroponic-nutrients.35395/ I don't want to insult you in anyway but I can tell by the nature of your questions that you are waaaaay behind on your reading. Buy your nutes in bulk from jr peters and stay the fuck out of the indoor garden stores. Spending 100$ on nutes for one grow is not practical. If you read that thread you will see what I mean. BTW sulpher is what kicks turpene production into gear.
Epsom salts from the grocery store is MagnesiumSulfate. Its $2.50 for 5lbs. at your grocery store. Nutes are about 120$/ 50# dry salts from peters. this will make 4500 gallons of too strong of mix(75% is the recommended strength)

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

The first thing you should do is add 20% water to your RO this helps keep Ph stable. I use cal-mag at the rate of 1 ml per liter. of 4 per gal. RO is notorious for playing havic with your Ph due to the water containing nothing.

Here is a great tip for those who use reverse osmosis water to buffer your water and help stabilize pH. There are two ways, both efficient.
- For those who prefer simplicity, all you have to do is add 20% tap water to your reverse osmosis water.
- For the purists who do not want to use tap water, or whose water is particularly bad, here are two easy steps:
1 – First increase your pH up to 10.0 with pH Up or potassium carbonate
2 – Then bring it down to 6.0 with
pH Down
In both cases you’ll obtain water well adapted to hydroponic nutritive solutions, while avoiding untimely pH fluctuations.
You need to raise pH first because the “buffer” elements have a very high pH or very low pH. You can start by adding acid, but then you will need pH up to raise your pH.
You need to buffer R.O. water simply because pure water has no buffering capacity. It is subject to big swings in pH every time you add something to the solution, making it unsuited for cultivation. Using pure R.O. is a classic source of failure.

If you’re using reverse osmosis water, add 50-100 ppm of Cal/Mg; this helps to buffer your water so nutrients absorb better. From Advanced Nutrients site http://www.rosebudmag.com/hydroponic-tips-ideas/insider-tips-for-maximum-yield-in-urban-garden

smknfire

smknfire

I agree with the above. 5ml/gal all day in RO. I use it through the first half of flower.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Im gonna say what works best for me is 1 gram of epsom per gal and 5ml calmag mixed in that order then base nutes then everything else.

J

Jalisco Kid

Use your salts to buffer(N) Some strains really need it and you adjust for them. Your first question you need to answer is what am I adding when I put in my nutes(ppm) JK

Joshsmokey

Joshsmokey

The first thing you should do is add 20% water to your RO this helps keep Ph stable. I use cal-mag at the rate of 1 ml per liter. of 4 per gal. RO is notorious for playing havic with your Ph due to the water containing nothing.

Here is a great tip for those who use reverse osmosis water to buffer your water and help stabilize pH. There are two ways, both efficient.
- For those who prefer simplicity, all you have to do is add 20% tap water to your reverse osmosis water.
- For the purists who do not want to use tap water, or whose water is particularly bad, here are two easy steps:
1 – First increase your pH up to 10.0 with
pH Up or potassium carbonate
2 – Then bring it down to 6.0 with
pH Down
In both cases you’ll obtain water well adapted to hydroponic nutritive solutions, while avoiding untimely pH fluctuations.
You need to raise pH first because the “buffer” elements have a very high pH or very low pH. You can start by adding acid, but then you will need pH up to raise your pH.
You need to buffer R.O. water simply because pure water has no buffering capacity. It is subject to big swings in pH every time you add something to the solution, making it unsuited for cultivation. Using pure R.O. is a classic source of failure.

If you’re using reverse osmosis water, add 50-100 ppm of Cal/Mg; this helps to buffer your water so nutrients absorb better. From Advanced Nutrients site http://www.rosebudmag.com/hydroponic-tips-ideas/insider-tips-for-maximum-yield-in-urban-garden
I use 1 ml per l cal mag with 1/4 ml per l rapid start using purified water 80cents per gallon ( only got 5 going ) ppm 550-600 in veg super soil new so not using any grow bloom or micro yet prolly start I. A week or two any thing u guys would change or does it sound good ?

Top Bottom