How Much Cow Manure Is Too Much ?

• Thread starter Bob Lawblaw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bob Lawblaw

I grabbed a golfball sized hunk of old cow shit and broke it apart to dust and sprinkled it into a five gallon bucket with my plant in it and covered over the shit with a bit more soil then watered.
I did this to all 8 of my mothers,and as well repotted some clones from solo cups into 3 gallon pots with about half the amount of shit in each of them,maybe even a lil less.
Well two out of 8 mothers got burnt to shit bad,i flushed the hell out of them and am hoping it will help,as well as my clones,im not sure if its the shit causing them to droop and look hald dead or is it from being outside a few nights ago when the temps went down to 3°c...i just really hope these clones pull through because theyre going to be my outdoor plants this year...any opinions

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wouldn't think that old cow poop would do that, not in the amount you say you used. And especially not if it's already all old. Can't say much more without seeing what actually happened.

MrBlah

MrBlah

Temperatures dropping to 3°C is a significant part of your problem.

What you also did is add about 20-40g of manure to your plant. Cow manure usually has a NPK of 0.6-0.4-0.5. So, you added 120 mg of N, 80 mg of P2O5, and 100 mg of K2O. Not a lot really. But it helps to work it into the soil instead of just covering it. Cornell University recommended 40 lbs of manure per 100 sq ft. Or 0.4 lbs per sq ft. You added maybe 0.1 lb per sq ft. at most. So, you didn't really add a lot. However, usually adding manure is done at the beginning of the season, so adding it as a top dressing may be the problem.

PROTOPIPE

PROTOPIPE

try putting a small shovelfull of cow patty into water for dilution,, we spread our manures up here with fluids, although in all honesty it sits for a few seasons before its used, but i am one of those wirdo's who think shit spreaders (liquid) are a surefire sign of spring!

Top Bottom