How much darkness between Veg. & 12/12

• Thread starter tntforlife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tntforlife

How much darkness should I give my plants befor I start the 12/12 stage. I was told a plant between the veg. stage & the 12/12 stage should have 36 hours of darkness befor you start the 12/12 stage.
I put them in the dark after being on 24hrs a day to start. Do I go 12hrs and then start 12/12 or should I leave them in the dark longer? Any help with this question would be great.
Thank you,
tntforlife

X

xum

I have read a few different opinions on periods of darkness, and most have been for the very end of flowering. Not too much have I seen about switching between the two cycles.

I'll say this much for sure, plants use up or utilize the energy they have stored during lights out. If you let them "sleep" a little longer, then they'll use up all that stored vegetative energy.

I personally didn't do a period of darkness between cycles, I just set the timer to switch hours once the lights shut off.

Hopefully someone has the answer you're looking for.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have never paid attention to that, I just flip 'em.

green bastard

green bastard

i just put them out when there ready for 12/12 straight outta veg as do everyone else i know hope this helps

T

tntforlife

Thanks for the very helpful input everyone. There is a book my brother inlaw has, that says to put them in darkness for 36 hours befor going to 12/12. I thought it a little strange to be in the dark for that long. I figured that if they were on a 24hr cycle during veg., that I ould just put them in the dark for 12hrs and start the 12/12 cycle.
I really wanted to here from you all and I got the answers I was looking for.
Thanks,
tntforlife

J

John Smith Esq.

+ 4, i dont have a dark period switching from veg to flower.

this is the first time ive ever heard of anyone doing it?? surely it would cause alot of stress for little to no gain?

Peace

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

yeah I'm not sure about giving them 36 hours of dark before the flip. I'd think it would stress them out. They would start to think they they were at the end of their life cycle. My buddy likes to give plants a few days of darkness before he chops, but he always jsut grows one strand at a time. If you want you could reduce the light time over a couple of days, like 18/6 then 16/8 then 14/10 then 12/12. It would seam more natural to me. But, I say try it yourself and let us know what happens. but if your girls start flipping bananas later, I guess you won't do it again. Personally, I just flip them from 18/6 to 12/12 and let them go. Good luck to you!

T

tntforlife

I only went 12hrs with the lights out and started at noon today with 12/12. I run my veg. cycle 24hrs a day. I think that 12hrs with the lights out was ok.
I'll let ya know how things look in a few days.
Thank you all,
tntforlife

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Curious why you're running a 24/0 veg cycle. Are you trying to get something to reveg?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
My last 2 runs I gave my plants 36 hrs of dark before I put the into flower, This run I am going straight to 12 on 12 off to see if it make a difference..I have had good sucess with 36 hrs of dark...

T

tntforlife

When I took them out of the dark, the main fan leaves seamed alot bigger. After 1 day of 12/12, she looks very healthy and the fan leaves are huge. I have been asking for this strain for about 2 years now and I'm very happy with the way she roots fast and grows fast. 2 weeks from cuttings under 24hrs. of light and they are ready for bigger pots.
The reason I go 24hrs of light during veg. cycle, is because this strain wants to start budding after 10 weeks of veg. on the 18/6 cycle I had her on. If I keep this strain on a 24hr. light cycle for veg., they keep producing new starts and they grow very well on this cycle.
This is my first time of doing this, but have paid attention to others for the most part.
tntforlife

T

tntforlife

As of last friday, she has been on 12/12 for 5 weeks. I believe that any darkness of 12hrs. to 36hrs. does speed up the process. After 5 weeks, the lower buds are done and are drying. The last half of the plant should be ready in a few more days as 80% of white hairs are almost all tan(or red hairs most would call them) and they are very thick. This strain I have is a fast grower. Between 5 and maybe 6 weeks tops from the start of 12/12 to cutting them down. A very nice and potent strain I have been after for over 2 years. This is a strain I had chosen for my chronic pain use. It is a good head and body high and last a few hours(4 to 5).
Thank you all for good info.
tntforlife

T

tntforlife

I went straight to 12/12 this time around. After almost 5 weeks in bloom stage, my cheese strain is very frosty looking and about 1 inch in diamiter on the top nugs. This strain looks to be almost ready to pick. I might let it go to 6 weeks to see if they get any bigger. This strain is definately taking a little longer than befor.
My other strian(the one I started this post with) has bigger nugs(1 1/2 in. in diamiter) and is now starting to get frosty looking. It was ready between 5 & 6 weeks the last time. This strain is definately taking a little longer than befor.
I have come to the conclusion, that 12 to 36 hours of darkness befor the 12/12 stage does make the my strains harvest quicker.
Is it posible for some strains to be ready to pick after 5 or 6 weeks on 12/12?
Thank you,
tntforlife

M

MASSES 420KING

none when it time to start 12/12 your plants will recieve 36 hours of constant light its light not darkness the 36 hrs of darkness doesnt happen until 36 hrs before you chop them down

G

GWAP

My last 2 runs I gave my plants 36 hrs of dark before I put the into flower, This run I am going straight to 12 on 12 off to see if it make a difference..I have had good sucess with 36 hrs of dark...

I've always just flipped them but am interested to see your results.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I've heard (but not tested) that 36 hours of darkness prior to flipping can cut a few days off your total flowering time

Giddeon

Giddeon

Once my clones have rooted I transplant and the first day give 18/6 then cut off an hour of light each day (17/7, 16/8, 15/9....) till its at a 12/12 this allows a little stretch out of my plants but also have them flip into flower at a good rate.

supercharged

supercharged

I have never paid attention to that, I just flip 'em.

im exactly the same but this run (flpped to 12/12 1week ago) i gave them 36hrs darkness before flipping and cant really see that much difference so far but i will keep you informed bro

Top Bottom