How much is necessary?

• Thread starter Faelan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Faelan

Hey fellow cannabis lovers. 😀

So, i am in the process of my first real grow, so logically i have read up on all the info i could find.
I know that cannabis growing can be a whole science, but how much is really necessary?
Of course i want to end up with some good weed, but it can feel kind of overhelming with all the info. Everything from the right amount of light (par, lumen, etc.), the correct humidity for each stage, the temperature ( Also for each stage), the right amount of airflow, the nutrients ( Again, changes at every stage). Even the ph and ec in the water i feed the plants, and the ph of the soil she grows in. Is it really that important that everything is so perfect, or can you just grow and still end up with some flowers that are worth smoking?

Kind regards ...

A

ApolloCanna

Hey fellow cannabis lovers. 😀

So, i am in the process of my first real grow, so logically i have read up on all the info i could find.
I know that cannabis growing can be a whole science, but how much is really necessary?
Of course i want to end up with some good weed, but it can feel kind of overhelming with all the info. Everything from the right amount of light (par, lumen, etc.), the correct humidity for each stage, the temperature ( Also for each stage), the right amount of airflow, the nutrients ( Again, changes at every stage). Even the ph and ec in the water i feed the plants, and the ph of the soil she grows in. Is it really that important that everything is so perfect, or can you just grow and still end up with some flowers that are worth smoking?

Kind regards ...

I want to start by saying, i think alot of people worry about this! I have a degree in science which has enabled me to grow some beautful cannabis. But, does someone need to know everything perfctly? I would say no, with a catch. Some of the things you mention are very important, like pH. Others not so imporant like trying to have the perfect temp and humidity all the time. Lighting is super important, but do. you need to know all of those things, not really. Go for an LED light you find on amazon that has good reviews. Make sure it is full specturm, and dont worry about veg/ bloom switches. I keep both of my switches on at all times during all stages anyway. I use 1000W Sun Raise LEDs and love them! You can go the HPS route, which is technically better for yield and growth. But, these produce more heat and can be too strong for seedlings. Nutrients can be VERY scary to study. Start by keeping it simple. I highly reccomend General Hydroponics Flora series. It consists of only 3 bottles, and contains all nutrients your cannabis plant will need. They even have an entire nturient schedule online for free! start with half the reccomemed dose and move up if deficicenys occur. The only other very nessacery nutirent will be Cal-mag. Cannabis, along with many many other living things on earth, including us humans, need Calcium and Magnesium to carry out chemical reactions and things of that nature. pH is acutally not too difficult to understand and i would HIGHLY reccomened using pH up and pH down do bring your water to anywhere between 5.5 to 6.5. Anything out of this range and you are setting yourself up for failure. Not paying attention to pH will lead to nutrient lockout. This happens because your plants roots cannot absorb certain nutirents when its pH is off. If you pay close attention to the water pH, your soil pH should be good. Start with that and youll grow great cannabis! I love answering question, feel free to ask 😁

A

ApolloCanna

I want to start by saying, i think alot of people worry about this! I have a degree in science which has enabled me to grow some beautful cannabis. But, does someone need to know everything perfctly? I would say no, with a catch. Some of the things you mention are very important, like pH. Others not so imporant like trying to have the perfect temp and humidity all the time. Lighting is super important, but do. you need to know all of those things, not really. Go for an LED light you find on amazon that has good reviews. Make sure it is full specturm, and dont worry about veg/ bloom switches. I keep both of my switches on at all times during all stages anyway. I use 1000W Sun Raise LEDs and love them! You can go the HPS route, which is technically better for yield and growth. But, these produce more heat and can be too strong for seedlings. Nutrients can be VERY scary to study. Start by keeping it simple. I highly reccomend General Hydroponics Flora series. It consists of only 3 bottles, and contains all nutrients your cannabis plant will need. They even have an entire nturient schedule online for free! start with half the reccomemed dose and move up if deficicenys occur. The only other very nessacery nutirent will be Cal-mag. Cannabis, along with many many other living things on earth, including us humans, need Calcium and Magnesium to carry out chemical reactions and things of that nature. pH is acutally not too difficult to understand and i would HIGHLY reccomened using pH up and pH down do bring your water to anywhere between 5.5 to 6.5. Anything out of this range and you are setting yourself up for failure. Not paying attention to pH will lead to nutrient lockout. This happens because your plants roots cannot absorb certain nutirents when its pH is off. If you pay close attention to the water pH, your soil pH should be good. Start with that and youll grow great cannabis! I love answering question, feel free to ask 😁

and i apologize for all the misspellings i am in a rush today

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A degree in science can help with reading comprehension and learned knowledge but only growing and learning what the plants are needing (or not needing) from sight is good enough.

What is important is to have proper lighting for the footprint desired and a stable medium (i recomend pro mix hp to new growers) and one bottle of a complete balanced fertilizer (or powder).

And dial in a proper ventilated and fan circulated envirenment. Some math is needed to calculate how much exhaust fan needed for the size and an ec meter is helpful for mixing nutes and testing runoff to see how much is in the medium over time.

After that it is all trial and error and tweaking. Even if you are a plant biologist.

:-)

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Well I still consider myself a newbie, I started growing last October. Can give a seasoned newbie perspective. And yes I have a science degree but that means F all.

It’s a plant, it will grow. Give it light food and water. The more things you try to do in the beginning, just compounds the possibilities for error. You will learn from each grow.

Provide adequate light, lots of air circulation and aim for temps in a good range. Figuring out watering schedule and take it easy on the nutes. Start with a diluted mixture for young plants and increase with age and tolerance.

Start with basics and then as you grow try new things as you progress. No different than learning anything new, doesn’t matter what it is. My thoughts anyway.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Lol one of my best ever plants was from my very first ever grow in a closet with a 400w HPS, no extraction fan just a cracked open door with a fan blowing in it lol, no comprehension of botany.. Just dumb luck, good genetics and a bit of research. Just do your best and try to learn something with every plant you grow. You never stop learning in this hobby and have to start somewhere.

But generally, a lot of the stuff you mentioned does make a difference in a dialed in room.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well I still consider myself a newbie, I started growing last October. Can give a seasoned newbie perspective. And yes I have a science degree but that means F all.

It’s a plant, it will grow. Give it light food and water. The more things you try to do in the beginning, just compounds the possibilities for error. You will learn from each grow.

Provide adequate light, lots of air circulation and aim for temps in a good range. Figuring out watering schedule and take it easy on the nutes. Start with a diluted mixture for young plants and increase with age and tolerance.

Start with basics and then as you grow try new things as you progress. No different than learning anything new, doesn’t matter what it is. My thoughts anyway.

Great post! Agree with light feeding. Little yellowing is ok we can fix that but too much in any stage and damage starts.

F

Faelan

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry i do not reply directly to your comments, but feel it would be a lot of repeatition. But i do appreciate all of the info, and will take it with me.

At the moment i am growing under a MarsHydro tsl2000 in a 120x60x180 tent. I grow in soil and water with demineralised water mixed with an npk 2,3-0-5. In the soil i have some slow-released nutrient - 5-2-5 +mg0 and XeoX.

I am still waiting for my exhaust and inline fan, but try to keep the right temp and humidity. I did have a ph and tdc/ec meter, but had to return it, cause i felt the numbers was all wrong.

I have always been a big fan of planting things, and follow the growth from seed, aswell as i have been a big fan of cannabis since i was 16, now 31, som this is the best hobby i have ever found.

I believe i had some nitrogen defiency, but i didn´t use anything but some old soil in the start. I am only on the 23 day, since i started the germination of my seed.

This is the babygirl i am growing.

20190922 153348
20190922 153408
20190923 083335
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Early on when I first tried, I was struggling to get my humidity up, was in the mid 50s. And bought a cool mist vaporizer to bump it up. What I ended up finding is that because I had a small amount of plants relative to the size of the room I ran into issues. Just the mere fact of having more plants in the same environment solved the issue and haven’t needed to address it since. Something to think about anyway

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Early on when I first tried, I was struggling to get my humidity up, was in the mid 50s. And bought a cool mist vaporizer to bump it up. What I ended up finding is that because I had a small amount of plants relative to the size of the room I ran into issues. Just the mere fact of having more plants in the same environment solved the issue and haven’t needed to address it since. Something to think about anyway

Lol yep, plants are natures humidifier.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

Environment is the single most important factor in growing, period. You can grow good cannabis with a variety of lights, nutrients, grow mediums and genetics but if you try to grow in conditions that aren’t conducive you’ll chase your tail. Mother Nature naturally selects what genetics thrive and suffer based on environmental conditions.

F

Faelan

Thanks. The only reason i only have one plant know, is because i´m not sure how much room theire will be, and it is my first grow. I am still waiting for an intake and exhaust fan, so didn´t want to do too much from the start, so i don´t waste/ruin my seeds.

F

Faelan

Environment is the single most important factor in growing, period. You can grow good cannabis with a variety of lights, nutrients, grow mediums and genetics but if you try to grow in conditions that aren’t conducive you’ll chase your tail. Mother Nature naturally selects what genetics thrive and suffer based on environmental conditions.
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to get my enviroment up and running, so it will be automatic. It´s just the info on a lot of sides make it sounds like, everything needs to be to perfection, or you´ll get an useless harvest. Hehe. I think my biggest problem is nutrition, though i am trying my best, to give it want it need. Nutrients for cannabis in my country is just not a thing, and i find it hard to find the right amount of npk, without mixing a bunch of stuff together, and then i´m afraid it will end up with way too much of one thing contra the others.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to get my enviroment up and running, so it will be automatic. It´s just the info on a lot of sides make it sounds like, everything needs to be to perfection, or you´ll get an useless harvest. Hehe. I think my biggest problem is nutrition, though i am trying my best, to give it want it need. Nutrients for cannabis in my country is just not a thing, and i find it hard to find the right amount of npk, without mixing a bunch of stuff together, and then i´m afraid it will end up with way too much of one thing contra the others.

You only need to keep the room at 70-80 degrees farenheight. Best to keep humidity in check. 60% or higher brings mold and gnats. And any standard complete fertilizer will work fine. Like a 20-20-20 fertilizer. Tomato plant food. Or even dry pellet plant food mixed in to the potting soil.

Dont water too often and err on the light side of fertilizing and of course have sufficient light and air flow.

And most of all patience!

All the other crap talked about gives no advantage at all or just diminishing returns. The technical stuff and all the led info is just the hobby side of this.

Top Bottom