How much lighting to root clones?

• Thread starter Just a Habit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Just a Habit

Would a 400 Watt Metal halide be enough to only root 90 clones in small cups...is there a minimum on area that it would cover?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A 400W MH would be too much. Go lower.

T

the lorax

Use fluorescent lighting for your clones. If you use a 400w Mh your clones will not be happy.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

What would be the optimal Flouro wattage for one dome filled with clones?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
One or two 2' fluoros (can't remember the wattage) would be my choice. I've been cloning in my veg-table, the new cuts get stuck on an end that's just not as bright. I use 4' shop lights and CFLs in that.

J

Just a Habit

Good question by Celtic. Anyone the optimal wattage then for a dome filled clones? I figured a 400 Watt would be pretty weak for cloning but I guess not. Are you saying a standard 60 Watt lightbulb would work? How close would you keep it...couple inches?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, not a standard 60W bulb, those are incandescents and entirely inappropriate for anything other than making light for people to see by. I said what I would recommend up above. You want less light when trying to get Mary to root, not more. A foot or two is more like it.

sky high

sky high

IMO....A 2 ft long - 2 lamp t-5 with 6500K lamps is a very nice light for rooting clones.

like this:

^^^^^^^^^^^ I have no affiliation here..just did a quick search. you can possibly beat this price...dunno. Just an example, FWIW.

good luck

s h

B

Bobby Smith

Fluorescents are (IMO) better for clones, but I have a 400HPS over my EZ 120 right now and it's fine - I've rooted clones under a 1K HPS as well - as long as you're not nuking them with light you'll be fine.

The HPS in the picture is ~2 feet above the EZ, and you can see that these are VERY small clones.

11210 001
11210 004
J

Just a Habit

Thanks Bobby, So I'll do okay cloning with a 400W as long as its above 2 ft? Out of curiousity why dont you use a humidity dome? I have an extra 400 just lying around I figured I could use it with the proper environment. But if I have to use a flourcensant I will. Its my first time cloning and making a few mothers and I dont want to fuck it up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mmm... I see that you're doing it, Bobby, but for me, because I'm paying out the hoo-hoo for electricity, I can do exactly what you're doing with a pair of 4' shop lights, @80W apiece. That's 160W vs 400W, which I'd rather throw at flowering girls who really need it.

Just sayin'.

B

Bobby Smith

Mmm... I see that you're doing it, Bobby, but for me, because I'm paying out the hoo-hoo for electricity, I can do exactly what you're doing with a pair of 4' shop lights, @80W apiece. That's 160W vs 400W, which I'd rather throw at flowering girls who really need it.

Just sayin'.

Trust me, I have 4 4' T8 tubes (so 8 total tubes, two per fixture) that are usually mounted above the EZ (attached pic) - was just too lazy to get them out of the closet in my garage and set them up properly, so I drilled a hole in the ceiling and put the 400 above.

Simply a temporary thing, the 400 is usually above my mothers and the fluoros above the EZ (two levels in a 4x2 tent).

Lazy is my middle name :banana1sv6:

81910 001
Top Bottom