How much media and where to buy?

• Thread starter Htownextracts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Htownextracts

Htownextracts

I'm a first time grower, and we are going to go with 50% peat and 50% vermiculite. Does anyone have suggestions as to where to buy these? Also, I am trying to figure out the math on how much to buy, but I am not exactly sure and am getting pretty high numbers. I have a 9x5 tent for flower. Throughout the grow, I am planning to use 1gal, 2gal, and finish with 10gal pots. I am planning to grow 10 big plants in the 9x5 flower tent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

*Edit: I do see some conversion charts online that help with amount needed.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Check if you have any feed stores in your area, they usually sell bulk farm stuff fertalizers, huge bags of perlite / vermiculiute ect ect cheaper then anywhere i know of.

Odiesel

Odiesel

actually might want to check texas growers supply if you are in houston i've picked up a few things from them before.

Htownextracts

Htownextracts

I would use perlite, vermiculite holds too much water. Also consider 5 gallon pots instead of 10
I'm going to take the advice for the 5gal pots thank you. The reason for 50/50 split is due the recommendation from Dr. Bruce Bugbee on Youtube

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm going to take the advice for the 5gal pots thank you. The reason for 50/50 split is due the recommendation from Dr. Bruce Bugbee on Youtube
Maybe get yourself a small bag of vermiculite and a small bag of perlite and mix up a test pot of each 50/50 with the peat moss and see which you think you want to use before you go buy a big amount of either, good luck

Htownextracts

Htownextracts

Maybe get yourself a small bag of vermiculite and a small bag of perlite and mix up a test pot of each 50/50 with the peat moss and see which you think you want to use before you go buy a big amount of either, good luck
That sounds like a good idea. Due to it holding a lot of water, maybe more coarse vermiculite would be the better option?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That sounds like a good idea. Due to it holding a lot of water, maybe more coarse vermiculite would be the better option?
Vermiculite holds too much water my friend that's why I suggested you try the comparison yourself, asked around most of us use perlite some Growers add a small amount of vermiculite but I wouldn't recommend using any of it based on my past experience, use 30% #3 perlite for best results

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What are your temps going to be like? I'm running room temps just over 80f and it seems to be working well for me. In cooler root zones it may not work so well but in warm root zones I think it's beneficial at least this is my hypothesis. Other have also said it stays to wet. I have 20% vermiculite, 25-35% perlite and peat with lime added for ph buffer. I have to water every 2 days but I'm also under high light. I think I could pull off a 50/50 mix no problem but I think it boils down to conditions your growing in

Htownextracts

Htownextracts

What are your temps going to be like? I'm running room temps just over 80f and it seems to be working well for me. In cooler root zones it may not work so well but in warm root zones I think it's beneficial at least this is my hypothesis. Other have also said it stays to wet. I have 20% vermiculite, 25-35% perlite and peat with lime added for ph buffer. I have to water every 2 days but I'm also under high light. I think I could pull off a 50/50 mix no problem but I think it boils down to conditions your growing in
That's interesting! I can see how that would make sense. And I'm not sure yet... The room is an upstairs bedroom that sits at close 75 degrees already during the summer In Texas (I can lower the a/c in the house if that makes any difference), but Im assuming high temps because the room is already up there and it's a 9x5 tent with 2 730watt LEDs 1200-1400ppfd.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's interesting! I can see how that would make sense. And I'm not sure yet... The room is an upstairs bedroom that sits at close 75 degrees already during the summer In Texas (I can lower the a/c in the house if that makes any difference), but Im assuming high temps because the room is already up there and it's a 9x5 tent with 2 730watt LEDs 1200-1400ppfd.
Im a hydro grower and this is my first soil grow so I can't compare, others have said it stays wet to long but with my soil mix at 78-79F I water every 2 days and feel without it I may need to up pot sooner? I can't recommend it so much as throw some thoughts out for others to discuss.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I use Promix, which is mostly peat and perlite. It's impossible to overwater for the most part. I get a 3+ cubic foot bale for about $30 at the local Agway (a frm supply shop). I can fiill about 7 or 8 5 gallon buckets or a little more if mixed with a bag of composted manure (highly recommended for micro nutrients). It's super simple... almost too simple if you don't overdose it with nutes and potions. I've used it for decades with great and consistant results with no Ph issues.

basscaptain

basscaptain

forget the gal's if your using fab pots'''' use sol's for beans then move to 2 gal fab pots for 6 wks. transplant to 5 gal and wk later flip......

so far these have worked the best for me..... I have been able to wash them 3 times so far and reuse.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom