How Much N Do I Need To Prevent My Straw Mulch From Causing N Deficiency?

• Thread starter herbmonger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
herbmonger

herbmonger

Using straw mulch, hear it sucks up N as opposed to regulating N as clover does. Do not have clover yet.

I've heard of people top dressing extra N to supplement

I'm already topdressing 1 tsp each RO uprising grow + foundation as well as 1/4 tsp TM-7. I'm still seeing some yellowing from what I presume to be N def

Any info or experience on high N layer under straw mulch?

BudBogart

BudBogart

I wouldn't worry about straw used as mulch over your holes. If you were to mix fresh straw into your holes using as compost it would be a different story. Then it might deplete nitrogen as it rapidly breaks down in the moist soil. Sitting on top of the holes it is not going to break down very fast.

S

Shamanfarmer

Budbogart is correct, extra carbon (straw) will only cause nitrogen deficiency if it's mixed into the soil. As a mulch it shouldn't cause any problems.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Using straw mulch, hear it sucks up N as opposed to regulating N as clover does. Do not have clover yet.

I've heard of people top dressing extra N to supplement

I'm already topdressing 1 tsp each RO uprising grow + foundation as well as 1/4 tsp TM-7. I'm still seeing some yellowing from what I presume to be N def

Any info or experience on high N layer under straw mulch?
It's not going to suck up as much as you think. I would be careful about overdoing the nitrogen. The nice thing about nitrogen is it seems to act quite quickly so just start with small doses and simply monitor your plant and you'll know.

herbmonger

herbmonger

Wow, thank you everyone who chimed in. Some of the straw was soaked overnight in a molasses and kelp dillutant, some wasn't. I haven't seen much of a difference.
I guess I just keep mulching around the time I need throw in some extra N. Having some leaf problems and I noticed that
1. losing lower leaves, some red petioles (resembling P def)
2. leaves yellowing from the outside in- in between the veins (showing Mag def)
3. I have been topdressing a good amount and feeding a lot of teas. There is also a 2-3 inch layer of high quality, super fresh, local EWC and well-aged, local horse manure compost on top of my soil. I checked my soil ph a few weeks ago and it went in 6, came out 6. only checked one, and with all the organic matter and teas; ph shouldn't be so much of a concern.

My thoughts are, if I flush with 25% the recommended does of Neptunes Fish/Seaweed (2-3-1); I will mobilize any locked out nutrients and be able to start fresh with a new, better top dress from buildasoil (I have been using mostly RO uprising and realizing it's more of a soil conditioner than anything.. which is great but my plants are hungry and it's been all over the place)

Off topic, but if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate your time

Top Bottom