How much neem oil will I need per tree, per season?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I need to buy some neem oil, but I'm not sure how much I need, what I should expect to spend, and if I should get a particular brand. While I'm at it, what other basic "stuff" should I get for my first outdoor grow with 12 soon-to-be trees growing in 4x4 containers? Thanks!

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

I would maybe grab some skoot for rabbits mice and deer. Or something along those lines. The pick up some sort of neem product I prefer azarid or azamax. They are more concentrated neem products made from oils extracted from the seeds instead of the Azadirachta Indica plant its self. They can get pricey at some spots, and are very concentrated products so use them carefully. How much you will need I couldn't honestly say but I would spray them with a neem solution right up until they start to kick over into flowering.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I need to buy some neem oil, but I'm not sure how much I need, what I should expect to spend, and if I should get a particular brand. While I'm at it, what other basic "stuff" should I get for my first outdoor grow with 12 soon-to-be trees growing in 4x4 containers? Thanks!
Don't use neem outside. It's too easy to cause phototoxicity with it in my experience. JMS Stylets oil will serve you better. Get a gallon or two and you'll have it on hand whenever needed.

SpiderK

SpiderK

I use a teaspoon per liter w/ aloe .... the plants love it. Been used in india as pest control for a very long time. I spray them once a week until the second week of flower ....

After i spray them, the bugs never land or when they do they leave soon after. Stays like that for 3-4 days , or i touch them up after a rain ....

This leaf was lunch for some bugs. But even around the edges of the wound its green and happy .... Its the only thing that works for me.

Neem

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you ever seen concentrates made from plants sprayed regularly with neem? ;)

SpiderK

SpiderK

Neem in the Indian Vedas

Neem is also called ‘ Arista ’ in Sanskrit- a word that means ‘perfect, complete and imperishable’. The Sanskrit name ‘ Nimba ’ comes from the term ‘ Nimbati Syasthyamdadati ’ which means ‘to give good health’. ‘ Pinchumada ’ another name of Neem in Sanskrit means the destroyer of leprosy and healer of skin infections. Its medicinal qualities are outlined in the earliest Sanskrit writings and its uses in Hindu medicine that dates back to very remote times. The earliest authentic record of the curative properties of Neem and is uses in the indigenous system of medicine in India is found in Kautilya’s “Arthashastra" around 4th century BC.

Neem's medicinal properties are listed in the ancient documents ‘ Carak- Samhita ’ and ‘ Susruta-Samhita ’, the books at the foundation of the Indian system of natural treatment, Ayurveda. Ayurveda is the ancient Indian system of medicine, which emphasizes a holistic approach to human health and well being. It is described in the Ayurvedic texts as ‘ sarva roga nivarini ’ (a universal reliever of all illness). Neem has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for more than 4,000 years due to its medicinal properties. Records show that the non-edible Neem oil was perhaps the oldest known medicinal oil. Almost every part of the Neem tree has been documented for some medicinal use. They are: Tonic and anti-periodic (root bark, stem bark, and young fruit), antiseptic and local stimulant (seed, oil, and leaves), stimulant tonic and stomachic (flowers), demulcent tonic (gum), and refreshing, nutrient, and alternative tonic (toddy). Neem bark leaves, and fruits have been used in Ayurvedic medicines for a long time and are described in ancient writing of Sushruta.

The ‘ Upavanavinod ’, an ancient Sanskrit treatise dealing with forestry and agriculture, cites neem as a cure for ailing soils, plants and livestock. Neem cake, the residue from the seeds after oil extraction, is fed to livestock and poultry, while its leaves increase soil fertility. The ‘ Brihat Samhita ’ of
‘ Varahamihira ’, dated about 6th century AD, contains a chapter of verses on plant medicines. It recommends that the neem tree be planted near dwellings. Smallpox and chicken pox were cured or staved off with the use of neem leaves.

Unani scholars knew Neem’s properties beneficial to human health and named it as ‘ Shajar-e-Munarak’, or the blessed tree. Persian scholars called Neem “Azad dirakht-I-Hind,” meaning the noble or free tree of India

SpiderK

SpiderK

Neem oil has proven to control about 600 types of insect species effectively. Thus it plays a fundamental role in the pest management. Agricultural trend of using synthetic products for control of pests have been revolutionized by Neem oil, especially due to its proficient characteristics as a pest repellent and a supplement for the plants as well. But for consideration, the key of neem oil is pest control, which is the obvious reason to increase the productivity in farms on its application. Moreover, different crop invites different insects and application of certain pesticide for particular pest will serve as an advantage for the others, and they are likely to develop resistance against the pesticide which makes the condition even worse. However, neem oil cannot be resisted by any insects in common due to the presence of an active constituent of neem called Azadirachtin, a tetranortriterpenoid complex structure similar to insect hormone that drags the insects to feed and terminates it. Thus it is sure of repelling most of the pests that are considered to be destructive in nature. The list of some of those destructive insects in farms includes:

American bollworm, Aphids, Berry borers, Black aphids, Black headed caterpillar, Brown plant hopper, Castor semi looper, Coffee stem borers, Cut worms, Diamond Black Moth, Ear Head bug, Early shoot borer, Eriophyid mite, Flea beetles, Flush worms, Fruit borer, Fruit borer, Fruit flies, Gall midge, Hairy Caterpillar, Helicoverpa moth, Inflorescence caterpillars, Japanese beetles, Jassids, Jumping lice, Leaf hoppers, Leaf miners, Leaf Webbers, Leafhoppers, Mealy bugs, Pigeon pea cyst Nematode, Pink bollworm, Pod borer, Pod bug, Poilu Beetles, Prodenia, Pulse Beetle, Red flour beetle, Red palm weevil, Rhinoceros beetles, Rhizome borers, Rice Hispa, Scale, Shoot borer, Shoot borers, Shoot fly, Spider mites, Spodoptera litura moth, Spot mites, Spotted boll worm, Tea mosquito bug, Thrips, Tobacco caterpillar, Top borer, White Grubs, Whiteflies.

These insects can be cured using a common neem oil spray. Neem oil concentration in the spray differs for each insect but in most of the cases the mild concentration of pure neem oil (certified by EPA) is advised for use. Spraying neem oil in the field eradicates the populated insects at the site and resists further invasion of the insect into the field as well. The treatment of neem oil spray needs to be done once or twice in a week to effective control the plants from pests.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Maybe the growers used the neem entire flowering cycle.... ? I'd worry about most of the street buds having other chem's before neem.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, they definitely were using it through the entire cycle. I have the exact same concerns you do, which is why I'm so strict about doing things organically. I don't make concentrates, I'm too prone to setting fires accidentally and my hair is finally all grown back around my forehead, so....

J

Jalisco Kid

I think keeping a clean room and monitoring it is a better idea. If something comes along then attack. If you like neem then use it(I think its crap) that way your plant will be like a fresh virgin and have no tolerance built up. Easier to knock down insect population that way.
The only thing I use 7/24 is a noseum net around my container to keep my roots protected. Suerte JK

SpiderK

SpiderK

.... we are using neem outdoor. like its used in india for 1,000 of years.

i'll toss up some pics of the pest we deal with & how neem helps ..... my orca was just hammered by pill bugs within 48 hrs without treatment ...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
if you use neem outside your probably killing lots of good bugs that would have eaten the mites

and bees..fish too maybe

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

i'll toss up some pics of the pest we deal with & how neem helps ..... my orca was just hammered by pill bugs within 48 hrs without treatment ...
what do pill bugs do to your plants?

SpiderK

SpiderK

i do not have mites ... lol' ...... pill bugs are brutal, ......, flying bugs ect ..... its like the rain forest by me.

SpiderK

SpiderK

what do pill bugs do to your plants?

well without neem 4 or 5 can wipe out a fan leaf ( blade ) overnight ... but ...

we put petroleum jelly around the stem , that keeps 99% of the pill bugs off the top, never need it this early but we had about 70 inches of snow ... so the bugs are out of control! i checked a few out over the weekend and the top was covered maybe 10 pill bugs .., its brutal.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
well without neem 4 or 5 can wipe out a fan leaf ( blade ) overnight ... but ...

we put petroleum jelly around the stem , that keeps 99% of the pill bugs off the top, never need it this early but we had about 70 inches of snow ... so the bugs are out of control! i checked a few out over the weekend and the top was covered maybe 10 pill bugs .., its brutal.
I never knew they could climb...lol
I find them under the pots and stuff

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
re pill bugs

this kind of pill bug??

Pillbug
Pillbug2

Top Bottom