How much Nutrients with co2?

• Thread starter mcaveman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mcaveman

mcaveman

Every time I search nutrients and co2 I only find articles talking about the Co2 ppm , I have plenty of light 1700e and 1000 hps . Co2 level is set at 1350 for now. Using Botanicare nutes , should I feed at the recommended manufacture levels or more less?
Thanks

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would use more but not much more to start. When you use CO2 you also must up everything else. The plant will cycle faster and take up water and nutrients faster when the temp is right.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Hardest thing to manage with co2 is heat and humidity. I find with lights on and temps up 80f or more fans will stay on and either you waste fuel burning or heat your room too hot. I have a 10x10 lung room and this summer I’m sure I’ll be running a/c in the tent on top of central air.

mcaveman

mcaveman

No worries on that , I have a mini split , dehumidifier and humidifier, I’m keeping humidity 45-55 and temps around 78.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I would use more but not much more to start. When you use CO2 you also must up everything else. The plant will cycle faster and take up water and nutrients faster when the temp is right.
I hate to disagree but I find the extra respiration causes nute burn if I don’t back down a bit.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Do you grow with hydroponics? To be fair I grow organically in soil so I let the plant figure all that out but its essentially Liebigs law. Increase CO2 to the max and you increase the length of the staves of other nutrients until they plateau to the next limiting factor. I would be interesting in exploring why the burn when you use CO2 though. Is it a heavy sativa? Sounds interesting.

Law of min
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes, I have multiple RDWC fallponics systems with complete environmental controls.

It's not the same as soil. With the correct VPD and plants in flower, they drink over 10 gallons a day. If I run my nutes at the numbers the manufacturers of the nutes recommend, I'll have tip burn in 24 hours and serious stress after just a few days. The respiration is just too high for full strength nutes. And the roots will completely fill the 13 gallon pots by the end of flower - they have everything they need. That also means you are displacing water from the system, so less water per plant can also cause you to get nutes out of whack.

I dunno - done this a lot and I can just tell you what works for me. I think it is always better to underfeed than overfeed on cannabis, but everyone's conditions are different, so 🤷‍♂️

I can tell you that the plants in these systems are huge and clock in at at 4 pounds cured regularly in a 4x8. I have all kinds of testing and data to back all this up, there are several threads going where I discuss this.

@mcaveman, are you in a DWC, RDWC, Kratky, bubble buckets? I think if I was doing Kratky my nutes would need to be higher. As it is, PPMs over 350 are red zone to my plants. 250 - 300, proper VPD, tent temp of about 80, leaf temp about 76, full air movement, CO2 at 800 in veg 1200 in flower - I grow some very potent monsters. Both LED and HID with supplemental reds and blues.

Personally, this just makes sense that it would be this way. If you have a setup that drinks 5 gals a day, then add CO2 and other controls to fast track respiration to 10 gallons a day, if you don't back the nutes down you are getting double what you were with the same number of plants. No bueno.

mcaveman

mcaveman

Yes, I have multiple RDWC fallponics systems with complete environmental controls.

It's not the same as soil. With the correct VPD and plants in flower, they drink over 10 gallons a day. If I run my nutes at the numbers the manufacturers of the nutes recommend, I'll have tip burn in 24 hours and serious stress after just a few days. The respiration is just too high for full strength nutes. And the roots will completely fill the 13 gallon pots by the end of flower - they have everything they need. That also means you are displacing water from the system, so less water per plant can also cause you to get nutes out of whack.

I dunno - done this a lot and I can just tell you what works for me. I think it is always better to underfeed than overfeed on cannabis, but everyone's conditions are different, so 🤷‍♂️

I can tell you that the plants in these systems are huge and clock in at at 4 pounds cured regularly in a 4x8. I have all kinds of testing and data to back all this up, there are several threads going where I discuss this.

@mcaveman, are you in a DWC, RDWC, Kratky, bubble buckets? I think if I was doing Kratky my nutes would need to be higher. As it is, PPMs over 350 are red zone to my plants. 250 - 300, proper VPD, tent temp of about 80, leaf temp about 76, full air movement, CO2 at 800 in veg 1200 in flower - I grow some very potent monsters. Both LED and HID with supplemental reds and blues.

Personally, this just makes sense that it would be this way. If you have a setup that drinks 5 gals a day, then add CO2 and other controls to fast track respiration to 10 gallons a day, if you don't back the nutes down you are getting double what you were with the same number of plants. No bueno.
I’m in 5 gallon air pots with soil . Your setup is awesome btw

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I’m in 5 gallon air pots with soil . Your setup is awesome btw
Soil is different, not sure why I was thinking you were hydro.

My best advice would be to work up to the right nute strength and watch the plants closely. Conditions vary, and my results may not be yours. I always find coming from low PPM up is easier to deal with than overfeeding and trying to back down.

Cheers.

Top Bottom