How much perlite per pot

• Thread starter Kl420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kl420

Kl420

Hello everyone,

I'm a third time grower and finally have decided to use perlite for my next grow. As it is not available in my country I have come to another and is gonna buy from here and go back. So I would to get some advice on how much perlite I'll have to buy.

Usually one of my pots hold around 10kg of moist soil, I'd say roughly will be like a 30 litre (7 gal) pot. How much perlite in weight would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hello everyone,

I'm a third time grower and finally have decided to use perlite for my next grow. As it is not available in my country I have come to another and is gonna buy from here and go back. So I would to get some advice on how much perlite I'll have to buy.

Usually one of my pots hold around 10kg of moist soil, I'd say roughly will be like a 30 litre (7 gal) pot. How much perlite in weight would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Take some soil add perlite ,then water it and squeeze a sample in your hand,if it stays soggy,holds tight and doesn't easily crumble add more until you reach the fine line. This provides air and avoids wet spots. I run promix 60/40 perlite for explosive root growth but it means I have to water/feed more and stake the plants,the more perlite you add,the closer you go to hydroponics

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Take some soil add perlite ,then water it and squeeze a sample in your hand,if it stays soggy,holds tight and doesn't easily crumble add more until you reach the fine line. This provides air and avoids wet spots. I run promix 60/40 perlite for explosive root growth but it means I have to water/feed more and stake the plants,the more perlite you add,the closer you go to hydroponics

Proper aeration & fabric pots also go a really long way into preventing over watering. I have to work REALLY hard to over water my plants. Like...sitting in a bucket of runoff water. Even then they would probably soak it up over 24 hours.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance
When you buy a bag of perlite or other medium, they usually include the volume as well as the weight.

Perlite has a bulk density ranging between 32 and 400 kg/m3, so without knowing where your perlite would fall in that range, no one can give you the weight.

If you want 30% perlite, you need 10 liters per pot. If it has a bulk density of 32 kg/m3, that would be 0.32 kg of perlite per pot. If it was 100 kg/m3, it would be 1 kg of perlite per pot

Kl420

Kl420

When you buy a bag of perlite or other medium, they usually include the volume as well as the weight.

Perlite has a bulk density ranging between 32 and 400 kg/m3, so without knowing where your perlite would fall in that range, no one can give you the weight.

If you want 30% perlite, you need 10 liters per pot. If it has a bulk density of 32 kg/m3, that would be 0.32 kg of perlite per pot. If it was 100 kg/m3, it would be 1 kg of perlite per pot
Oh yes that makes a lot of sense. So I'll have to look at what's available and decide. Thanks a lot everyone

Latest posts

Top Bottom