How much ppfd for seedling.

• Thread starter phillyguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

phillyguy

First off, I hope you dont get in trouble for posting to much.
Just checked the ppfd with Photone app and it shows 162ppfd. Should it be higher than that? This is how big she is. I would say she has been out of the ground 2 weeks. Should I stay where I'm at or increase the light. It's running at 50% right now at 16 inches. Thoughts?

How much ppfd for seedling
Siz

Siz

First off, I hope you dont get in trouble for posting to much.
Just checked the ppfd with Photone app and it shows 162ppfd. Should it be higher than that? This is how big she is. I would say she has been out of the ground 2 weeks. Should I stay where I'm at or increase the light. It's running at 50% right now at 16 inches. Thoughts?

Ppfd # is good if accurate, 18/6 light schedule? Your light might be a little too close for seedlings though.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'm running 100 watt light at 50%. It's a viparspectra.
I use ViparSpectra lights. They tend to have plenty of power.

Raised light to 30". Was said it doesn't matter the par drops to 63. Really appreciate all your help.
Young plants are sensitive, so I like to have ample light distance for them. Some folks use CFL bulbs. If they stretch a lot, they're reaching for the light. If not and the color looks good, they should be fine.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Raised light to 30". Was said it doesn't matter the par drops to 63. Really appreciate all your help.
It’ll be fine, don’t sweat the ppfd, I hang mine at 30in at 40% output in my veg room. I run all vipar In there.

Last edited:
Grower1974

Grower1974

For Seedlings it smart to have a hygrometer/thermometer sitting in the soil - (77-81 Fahrenheit is safe )
You know what’s nuts? I’ve experimented with soil temps on seedlings. From sprout to around 2 weeks, my seedlings always grew fastest with the soil and air temps between 64-70F. Honestly, as long as the room/tent is 64-78F, and 50-70% RH, I never even worry. They all sprout and go into veg perfectly for the last 10 years. :).

I believe early in a natural setting, seedlings expect soil and air temps to be on the cooler side.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
If you wanna go by PPFD on photone that’s fine I like to see around 150-200 not too much but enough to not let them stretch like crazy, go by stretch if they start extending too much drop the light a inch

At the end of the day it’s strain dependent some like more, some can’t handle what others can watch the leaves and node spacing it’ll tell you more than any meter can ever tell you

Choppr

Choppr

You know what’s nuts? I’ve experimented with soil temps on seedlings. From sprout to around 2 weeks, my seedlings always grew fastest with the soil and air temps between 64-70F. Honestly, as long as the room/tent is 64-78F, and 50-70% RH, I never even worry. They all sprout and go into veg perfectly for the last 10 years. :).

I believe early in a natural setting, seedlings expect soil and air temps to be on the cooler side.
Whenever "new growers" are asking these kind of questions(how much ppfd for seedlings), I try to steer them away from ppfd/par etc. and to give them safe temps at the soil level so they dont burn their seedlings, to me the easiest way to set lighting is just to make sure temps are nominal at seedling height. Meaning you could put your light 5 feet away at full power, or 30 inches away at 50% power, but what matters are the temps on the seedling, ultimately it will be heat/temps that shrivel a seedling. Most of Us who have grown for years forget what its like to be a new grower with seedlings... For experienced growers its simple...

labomba

labomba

I've been experimenting seedling in a heated propagator with 150w led (close to seedling). Vs growing in my tent with a 350w at 50% (far from seedlings).

I've noticed that when I move a seedling to the tent, it tends to back away from the light, turning the cotyledons down and the first fan leaves up. The one seedling I left in the heated propagator still standing and looking more firm.

Does that mean the 350w are too strong for them and they are trying to back away from it? Or is it temperature related?

IMG 20240308 103403
Grower1974

Grower1974

I've been experimenting seedling in a heated propagator with 150w led (close to seedling). Vs growing in my tent with a 350w at 50% (far from seedlings).

I've noticed that when I move a seedling to the tent, it tends to back away from the light, turning the cotyledons down and the first fan leaves up. The one seedling I left in the heated propagator still standing and looking more firm.

Does that mean the 350w are too strong for them and they are trying to back away from it? Or is it temperature related?
Probably still getting over 300 PPFD………

Top Bottom