How much should I defoliate before scrog.

• Thread starter Kevuk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Anything could happen But collidial silver is a pretty good guarantee to create feminized seeds. Gibberellic Acid on the other hand or stressing the plants will create more unreliable guarantee of male or female I'll be starting to breed in the next few months hope great things happen😊

Kevuk

Kevuk

101908B1 5A3D 4041 A276 3CA491535FF4

3B5AD422 68B0 4153 A253 2F7B4153B5A3

5221DF16 46B8 47B0 9C2F 799F01DEF62D

Kevuk

Kevuk

Didn’t have time to make a second screen so used 4” trellis net. Def want a 3” second screen for next time.
A4097B61 45E8 43E3 8F98 BFBCF430A4D8
AC47B87A EAE7 4D74 AFF2 C52D24F4BBA1

Zombierider

Zombierider

@Kevuk how is the grow going? I’m also gonna do a scrog, not sure when to start defoliating honestly. My girls are in week 3 of veg and planning on putting scrog around 12 inches above the pots. Sorry to hijack thread

450EF20F 49D4 4FD1 9BFF 921ED7D0ADA5
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

@Kevuk how is the grow going? I’m also gonna do a scrog, not sure when to start defoliating honestly. My girls are in week 3 of veg and planning on putting scrog around 12 inches above the pots. Sorry to hijack thread
I'd prob do a defoliation about now to get the shoots under the big can leaves to be exposed and if anything not worth keeping at the bottom chop it

Zombierider

Zombierider

I'd prob do a defoliation about now to get the shoots under the big can leaves to be exposed and if anything not worth keeping at the bottom chop it
My first grow so still worried about stressing the plant out by defoliation. I’ve been tucking leaves best I can, but I guess I should just clip off some of the bigger light blocking leaves up top, and the stuff blocking light down below? Plants are only like 10 inches tall so they are thicccc down below the canopy.

5E2BFC2E 8FA1 48D9 A9E3 386809EFDBC7
Kevuk

Kevuk

My first grow so still worried about stressing the plant out by defoliation. I’ve been tucking leaves best I can, but I guess I should just clip off some of the bigger light blocking leaves up top, and the stuff blocking light down below? Plants are only like 10 inches tall so they are thicccc down below the canopy.
Chopped them on Sunday.

I hate stressing plants unnecessarily too but I’d do things slights differently next time. I’d strip all lower stuff and thin the canopy slightly just before I flip to flower.

Showboat stretched a lot and caught me off guard. Next time I’ll flip to 12/12 when the screen is 50% full.

Yours look to be indica leaning (showboat did at first), if they are it’s better to let the screen fill out more before flip.

I think 100% indica plants work better with SOG, LST and mainlining, as they are too short to scrog properly.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

The foliage on the bottom should come off before flowering because it will only produce larf and defoliation looks and may be aggressive but won't do harm unless you go to an extent you cant come back from lol just test on one or do what's comfortable

Zombierider

Zombierider

Chopped them on Sunday.

I hate stressing plants unnecessarily too but I’d do things slights differently next time. I’d strip all lower stuff and thin the canopy slightly just before I flip to flower.

Showboat stretched a lot and caught me off guard. Next time I’ll flip to 12/12 when the screen is 50% full.

Yours look to be indica leaning (showboat did at first), if they are it’s better to let the screen fill out more before flip.

I think 100% indica plants work better with SOG, LST and mainlining, as they are too short to scrog properly.
So here is my current plan based on your experience: do some light defoliation now to expose more nodes, then let ‘em grow till they reach my scrog net (they’re pretty short atm). Then do some major defoliation (lollipopping?) about one week before flipping to flower. Flip to flower at 70% cuz they are kinda indica leaning pheno’s.
And yeah these cheese cookies are supposedly 60/40 and “perfect for scrog” as they produce lots of side branching naturally, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see how they grow up. Congrats on getting to the harvest!

Zombierider

Zombierider

The foliage on the bottom should come off before flowering because it will only produce larf and defoliation looks and may be aggressive but won't do harm unless you go to an extent you cant come back from lol just test on one or do what's comfortable
Yeah the big leaves near the bottom don’t appear to be doing anything but blocking light. How much should i take off at the moment? Do you do any defoliation after the flip?

Kevuk

Kevuk

So here is my current plan based on your experience: do some light defoliation now to expose more nodes, then let ‘em grow till they reach my scrog net (they’re pretty short atm). Then do some major defoliation (lollipopping?) about one week before flipping to flower. Flip to flower at 70% cuz they are kinda indica leaning pheno’s.
And yeah these cheese cookies are supposedly 60/40 and “perfect for scrog” as they produce lots of side branching naturally, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see how they grow up. Congrats on getting to the harvest!

I would start some LST now to spread them out a bit ready for the net.

It’s difficult to guess when to flip until after you’ve run them once. I really thought mine were indica leaning as they were short and bushy. As soon as they went into flower they stretched like OG. They were still stretching a couple of weeks after buds had formed.

Once the net is in place, strip lower growth that is going nowhere little and often. All in one go stresses the plants.

I don’t like trimming anything once they are in flower.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I personally defoliate day one of flower to expose all potential bud sights and by day 21 its a must for me the plant isent focusing on making vegetation but bud production that's why fan leave at this point aren't doing a whole lot for you expect blocking light and airflow you would still get foliage aka sugarleaves and your not taking off everything but a great deal yes

Zombierider

Zombierider

I would start some LST now to spread them out a bit ready for the net.

It’s difficult to guess when to flip until after you’ve run them once. I really thought mine were indica leaning as they were short and bushy. As soon as they went into flower they stretched like OG. They were still stretching a couple of weeks after buds had formed.

Once the net is in place, strip lower growth that is going nowhere little and often. All in one go stresses the plants.

I don’t like trimming anything once they are in flower.
Yeah I suspect I’ll experience a similar stretch as you did. This is a cookies/uk cheese cross so expecting some sativaesque growth.

So I have been doing lots of LST tie downs for the last week or so, maybe it’s hard to tell but that’s what’s kept them short and bushy. You think I need to LST longer and wait to scrog until they are a bit wider? Running out of places to tie the branches to. Here they are this morning, one of them is growing like a fricken champ compared to the others lmfao. I wonder why…

38F181C9 81C4 42F5 B228 038419AB5903
Top Bottom