How much temp and RH leeway do I have while drying?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

Okay, I'm currently on Day 6 of drying my latest harvest. The fan leaves are starting to crinkle, but the buds are all still very, very wet. At this rate I think it's going to take about 14 days to dry sufficiently.

I've been trying to keep the environment at 60 degrees and 60% humidity, but I can't quite reach that. I'm averaging 62.3 degrees and 63.2% relative humidity. Temp is well controlled, with a swing from 60.8 to 64.0 degrees, a total swing of 3.2 degrees. I think that's probably fine. But the relative humidity swings like crazy, between a low of 52.6% and a high of 79.1%, which is a swing of a whopping 25.6%, though as you can see in the photo below it never stays at either extreme, but just bounces up and down.

I should mention that I have super good air flow within the drying space. No fans pointed at the plants, but a fan near the floor blowing air below the plants, a fan above the plants, and an air conditioner and dehumidifier that take turns blowing more indirect air, as they are pointed at the walls away from the plants.

So my question is in the title: How much of a swing off the targets can I get and still be doing a good dry, with little to no risk of bud rot, mold, or mildew, and no risk of drying too fast? Am I safe doing what I'm doing? Do I need to worry about something or change something up?

Pics for attention.

First photo: a few of the plants drying.
Drying

2nd Photo: Temp and RH record:
temp rh.png

Last edited:
CannaDana

CannaDana

Personally I would go ahead and manicure the buds now and throw the rest of the vegetation away. That high RH would have me worried that I might lose it all to bud rot.
What RH would you recommend?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I like to start at 55%. Then as the end of the dry approaches I move it up to 60%.

Eliminating all the plant material that will not be in the finished product might help you actually get low enough RH that it could be properly controlled within a range.

Can you crack open a couple of the larger buds and check for mold?

Ponky

Ponky

I like my smoke dry and ready to sweat within 6 days. And then another week of burping. Your temp and RH are fine. But if it's too slow to dry add fans.

CannaDana

CannaDana

I like to start at 55%. Then as the end of the dry approaches I move it up to 60%.

Eliminating all the plant material that will not be in the finished product might help you actually get low enough RH that it could be properly controlled within a range.

Can you crack open a couple of the larger buds and check for mold?
I'll do that today and report back. :)

Spaanky

Spaanky

I like my smoke dry and ready to sweat within 6 days. And then another week of burping. Your temp and RH are fine. But if it's too slow to dry add fans.
Why 6 days, got any new dry secrets since then?

Ponky

Ponky

Why 6 days, got any new dry secrets since then?
The bud has to stay moist enough long enough for the chlorophyll to break down. Any sooner and the smoke is harsh. And don't be afraid to use low temps and lots of airflow. If its drying too fast pile it up. Partially cover with plastic. Not much has changed.

Spaanky

Spaanky

Oh right, I just thought it would be more than 6, maybe 8 days at the soonest or maybe you had a secret within the sacred dry..

Ponky

Ponky

Oh right, I just thought it would be more than 6, maybe 8 days at the soonest or maybe you had a secret within the sacred dry..
Nope. Just a standard practice we all use. We used to just toss it in a room on racks with heaters and fans and dry it jn a day. But since then 6 days on racks in a cool area thats got continous fresh air coming in has proven to be ideal for nose and burn.

Ponky

Ponky

Interesting you like 6 but most go for 14, you don't like the slow dry?
You like the quick slow dry
I just find that leaning it "curing" for weeks on end is just code for "too lazy to trim". And 6 days is about how long it takes in the low 60F range usually. Then bag it. A day later let the bags sit open. Or send them and they can open the bags on the other end. And they stay freshest longest . After about 2 months a load loses a lot of smell and can become crumbly. But. If you want to long cure. For personal use. There are unique ways. Such as taking a 4 day bud off the rack and sitting it in direct sunlight for a day or two. Makes for a different taste. Or putting fresh weed in a mylar bag for about 45 days. With oxygen absorbing pouches. Gives a dry but resinous bud. But extra days hanging upside down don't help.

Spaanky

Spaanky

I just find that leaning it "curing" for weeks on end is just code for "too lazy to trim". And 6 days is about how long it takes in the low 60F range usually. Then bag it. A day later let the bags sit open. Or send them and they can open the bags on the other end. And they stay freshest longest . After about 2 months a load loses a lot of smell and can become crumbly. But. If you want to long cure. For personal use. There are unique ways. Such as taking a 4 day bud off the rack and sitting it in direct sunlight for a day or two. Makes for a different taste. Or putting fresh weed in a mylar bag for about 45 days. With oxygen absorbing pouches. Gives a dry but resinous bud. But extra days hanging upside down don't help.
I just wait for the bud branches to snap.
7-10 I guess.... I have to improvise so I use ice coolie packs on the bottom of large black garbage cans and I hang the nuggets from a string dropping into the containers with a portable Ac to keep the temp right

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I prefer to trim my buds at cutting so 6 days actually seems about right from what I've experienced. Now, this doesn't mean it's ready to smoke ... it still has to cure. I have been filling 1 gallon mason jars 1/3 to 1/2 full using the lid on/lid off method to cure. I have been using a 58% bovida pack to and a small hygrometer to regulate and moderate the RH in the jar ... This is how I have been doing it for years but I'm going to try something new this time. A well respected member here on the farm suggested I try "Grove" bags next time I cure a crop. From what I've read, these Grove bags will allow the plant material to breathe yet not allow the terps to escape AND control RH of your curing flower.

Top Bottom