How much time in the bag?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

I just cut my buds from the branches. They have been hanging for 6 days and feel a bit crunchy so i trimmed them and placed the buds in a brown paper bag. So how long do i leave in the bag before i jar it up? And do i open the bag daily or just shake a bit to turn buds?

K

kolah

6 days hanging seem long. Did you read the sticky here from DJ Shorts Harvest and Curing?

I am small time grower of about 25 plants so heres how I do it:

The small buds dry faster than the big colas. It's a "feel thing" that is learned by trial and error. I don't do anything fancy with temps or RH or fans for that matter but that surely makes it much easier. I hang them and check them daily keeping them in the dark and out of extreme heat or cold AND excessive moisture. When the small buds snap off the larger stem branches they get a quick inspection (with a 30x loupe), a sniff test, maybe some touch up trimming and then gently go into brown paper bags. I fold it closed over like a lunch bag and lay it on its side. I'll flip it over 2-3 times per day...and occasionally pour them out and inspect them for mold or to see if they are still too wet. If they are too wet they go back on the drying rack. (this is all from DJ's memo, btw). The bigger colas stay longer on the rack but they will eventually end up in the bag with the others after a "squeeze test" and loupe inspection (look for bugs, insect eggs, dog hair, etc). After they have been bagged, I wait until the outsides are a bit crunchy yet the insides are a tad spongy. Then I put them loosely in mason jars. Usually the bigger wet colas will pass their moisture to the smaller ones that are a bit more dried up but it all equals out and slows down the drying process. (that is kinda what I am shooting for anyway) Don't pack the jars, give them room and air or you will be sorry. I then rotate the jars 2 times per day and burp them. About every other day I dump them out of the jars and inspect them..again looking for evil molds. I pop them back in the jars and continue to roll and burp them 2 times a day until they are where I like them. "Where I like them" is hard to explain but I avoid over drying them where they crumble way too easily. Once they are where I like them and what I feel is "dry" (to my likings), I then seal them up in the jars , stash them in a cool dark place and let them cure for 2-3 weeks which brings out all the great terpene scents and makes for a great smooth smoke.

This is what I shoot for:
DJ Short says that the best way to cure MJ is to extend the period from freshly cut to fully dry for as long a possible BUT still avoiding mold. Basically the longer you take in the cure process the better overall quality.

and remember those trichromes (crystals) are quite fragile...be gentle with them.

mikeb437

mikeb437

When you get them to where you like it ( to your likings ) and then jar, do you still burp them during that part or leave alone in the dark cool place?

K

kolah

From bag to jars..yes they get burped and rolled twice a day...and periodically poured out of the jars for inspection and then put back in. Not until they are "done" do they get stored away for the final cure. In the final cure they are left alone in a cool dark place and remained sealed, no burps, just visual inspections through the glassware checking for mold.

Top Bottom