how much

• Thread starter DeRon1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DeRon1

DeRon1

hello peeps its been a min...I've been battling this dreaded kidney disease but i have a question for the masses.
Approx. how much perilite and coco coir will i need to fill 8 5 gal smart pots. Or what should I use to go along with me 5-650g bags of coco for a successful grow. i have started out by stabilizing my tent at a steady 75F and 57%hum for the last week. There is nothing growing but i wanted to prepare for eventual pitfals. Please help

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I always used 1/3 pearlite and 2/3 coco

So if you need 40 gallons you'd want 13.3 gallons of pearlite and 26.7 gallons of coco

DeRon1

DeRon1

thanks mastacheeser i was having problems trying to figure how much more coco i needed. its hard when ur limited in mobility. at present i have 7 pounds of coco

DeRon1

DeRon1

say is there much difference in the growth in 3gallon pots vs 5gallon pots...or do you think i'd have a sufficient grow with a fruitful yield if I switch to 3 gallons pot since i was proactive and bought both. this is going to be my first grow as you can tell but i'm going to expand after grow 3

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

3 gallons will be more cost effective

Are you only doing one light? 40 gallons of medium is a little overkill. 24 is better I.e. 3 gallon pots

DeRon1

DeRon1

yes 1 600watt mh/hps hookup...that why i wanted to make sure i asked b4 it was to late. I heard somewhere that larger pots for larger yields

DeRon1

DeRon1

don't get me wrong i need my meds but if i can get more bang for my buck and help others as well it helps 3 ways. being a first time grower i know i should concern myself with the grow first but i'd also like to be optimistic and think by following directions of my superior farmers i could get nice yields

DeRon1

DeRon1

ut oooo i spoke to soon. guess were having a storm and humidity has elevated in my tent for one the first times to over 75%. should i be afraid

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No. Don't spend time chasing numbers, spend your time learning how to observe your plants. Also, there's a qualified metric shit-ton of information in the thread in my signature line--The Charts. Snag the charts and hold onto those. Right now you'd be interested in the VPD (vapor pressure deficit) chart.
yes 1 600watt mh/hps hookup...that why i wanted to make sure i asked b4 it was to late. I heard somewhere that larger pots for larger yields
Yes, larger pots for larger yields, however, if you're limited then you've got to work within those limits. As someone with a bad back & knees, I'm totally diggin' the advice you're getting from the @mastacheeser, there's not a thing I can say different.

DeRon1

DeRon1

Ok Seamaiden I just confused myself with this vapor pressure deficit. I googled and apparently it was above my pay grade...lol can't find the chart you are speaking of and is there a lay persons explanation of these things! discouraging as hell

urbanfog

urbanfog

now you have the best info :D To answer your ?, I run 3 ga smarties and for indoor I like having the extra room VS then 5's

DeRon1

DeRon1

i think i'm gonna try running 3x5gal and 3x3gal for my indoor 4x4 400mh/600hps first time grow

OGONLY

OGONLY

I second 3 gal pots over 5 gallon. You can grow some big plants in a 3 gallon pot with coco.

I prefer 100% coco, no perlite. Used to use perlite and noticed no difference when I went to straight coco except the medium dried up faster with the perlite mix. I'd rather them stay wet longer rather than have to water more frequently. Not to mention perlite has some nasty glassy dust that I don't want in my lungs.

DeRon1

DeRon1

i guess staring at all my genetics and all the equipment not realizing all the variables. i become some what paranoid in the possibility of failure...which is something i don't do well. class a personality/obsessive compulsiveness thing( i'm working on it)...lmfao Never realized the magnitude of things it took to succeed in a perfect grow.

OGONLY

OGONLY

i guess staring at all my genetics and all the equipment not realizing all the variables. i become some what paranoid in the possibility of failure...which is something i don't do well. class a personality/obsessive compulsiveness thing( i'm working on it)...lmfao Never realized the magnitude of things it took to succeed in a perfect grow.

Hey man, I'm the same way. It's a good way to be if you grow. Problems can arise though by being too into "it." Neglect of family and friends as a result of your new hobby are to be expected. Going on a short trip or vacation may too stressful to enjoy, or impossible all together.

You better have a woman in your life that is very tolerant of being somewhat neglected from time to time. Also one that is willing to put up with you spending an hour or 2 in the garden every single day. Oh ya, and hopefully she doesn't like to get away, because being away for days at a time is stressful and potentially very costly.

I happen to be currently injured with a hip problem that I've been dealing with for 5 months. I'm sure it is due to lugging 5 gallon bottles almost daily. My favorite activities (surfing and mountain biking) are impossible in my current state. As a result my mental well being is not good, and life is not fun. My gf has been amazing as far as putting up with me, and helping me with heavy lifting when she can.

Just be aware man, it can and will change your life. Some ways good, others not so much.

DeRon1

DeRon1

Thanks OGONLY i needed that... ur right we have some things in common. Had to have a total hip replacement in 2006 as result of to many fall from the sky. My wife is very understanding and supportive of me doing something besides driving her bat ass crazy. However I do worry about short trips and holidays even though they are few and far between these days. I am concern though about a second grow. the end may just fall within a 5 day window where i have to be gone! I can't put the trip off and I can't put the grow off so I have sort of a Problem b4 I even start. OOOOH well cross that bridge when I get there. I haven't even gotten out the box yet. lolol where there's a will there's a way. Just Waiting on one more thing and we can get this one horse show on the road. bar these damn doctors leave the hell alone....grrrrr

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Timers and drip irrigation will allow you to have a life. What you describe is one of the big reasons why I prefer to grow outdoors.

Top Bottom