How often can I use neem oil on plants?

• Thread starter DoobieDon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DoobieDon

DoobieDon

Hi. I'm working on getting my 1st grow going. I have some seedlings that are 14 days old and I've already noticed a couple of bugs on them. I ordered some neem oil and have been spraying them with a neem and soap mix. My question is can I spray them too often? And if I can't get rid of these bugs with the neem oil, what is my next step?

How often can i use neem oil on plants
OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Ohh your using neem oil, explains why your seedlings look like that. Your using to much or to often or to concentrated. Wash them off with pure water first.
Your bug problem is worrying, should sorted that out before starting. Thats the problem with those living soil growing methods, they attract and bring in bugs like crazy. Reason why i switched from soil to hydro.

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Neemoil creates a thin coat on the plant thats why its important to wash them off with water now and then. The coat can also make the leaves more fragile and burn more easily to light. Not to mention how much neem oil stinks. Deffenitly be careful when you switch to the CMH and make sure you spray them off with water

DoobieDon

DoobieDon

Ohh your using neem oil, explains why your seedlings look like that. Your using to much or to often or to concentrated. Wash them off with pure water first.
Your bug problem is worrying, should sorted that out before starting. Thats the problem with those living soil growing methods, they attract and bring in bugs like crazy. Reason why i switched from soil to hydro.
I know. 1st grow and I have bugs already. Anything else I can do?

DoobieDon

DoobieDon

Do you know what kind of bugs you are fighting?
Neem oil that young can be problematic, as mentioned above may want to wash with water also won't always kill on contact.
I cant seem to get a focused picture or catch one without squish'n it... but I've heard aphid. Everything is cleaned up, vented, and covered with a fan.. overwatering is what I've been thinking. Hell man, I dont have a clue. Growing in the basement in a few tents so I thought bugs wouldn't be a problem.

scyncegrown

scyncegrown

I cant seem to get a focused picture or catch one without squish'n it... but I've heard aphid. Everything is cleaned up, vented, and covered with a fan.. overwatering is what I've been thinking. Hell man, I dont have a clue. Growing in the basement in a few tents so I thought bugs wouldn't be a problem.
Yeah bugs will find you no matter where you grow, been doing Integrated pest management for years and they always find you. Looks round like a aphid could be a flyer. Mostly on your leaves or in your media?

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Honstly, im going to get attacked by hippies for saying this, but buy the strongest pesticide you can find that dont kill plants, and spray the shit out of everything. Only thing that works from my expirience. You can do it now while they are not flowering. If it was during flowering you be screwed. And in the future dont do these living soil grows man, they grow more bugs than weed, just buy nice sterlized soil mix. Keep us updated

DoobieDon

DoobieDon

Yeah bugs will find you no matter where you grow, been doing Integrated pest management for years and they always find you. Looks round like a aphid could be a flyer. Mostly on your leaves or in your media?
Leaves

DoobieDon

DoobieDon

Honstly, im going to get attacked by hippies for saying this, but buy the strongest pesticide you can find that dont kill plants, and spray the shit out of everything. Only thing that works from my expirience. You can do it now while they are not flowering. If it was during flowering you be screwed. And in the future dont do these living soil grows man, they grow more bugs than weed, just buy nice sterlized soil mix. Keep us updated
Will do. Any recommendations on soil mix? FF products?

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Sorry, Im a european grower i cant recomend brands dont know the US supply. But look into coco coir, it behaves like soil but grows like hydro. Mix with perlite

scyncegrown

scyncegrown

Your best bet
Your best bet for long term control would be some beneficial insects Rove beetles, will be the buck shot for most stuff those will keep your populations down. The neem won't do much for you with aphids. As far as sprays go check Mammoths crop control and trifecta. Hort oil will kill on contact so you can use that and DE around your plants for any incoming crawlers.

the rrock

the rrock

I am stocked with floramite,avid,merit 75 etc,etc,,havent had to use them in years because they did such a great job killing everything the first time!! I Never use Neem as its too oily oh and dont waste your time on ladybugs or any so called beneficials they all die

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I know. 1st grow and I have bugs already. Anything else I can do?
Can't tell but it looks like fungus gnats neem oil won't kill fungus gnats, neem oil doesn't really kill bugs, not from my experience with it at least; it's decent as an occasional tonic for a grown plant in veg but as said above I wouldn't be spraying those small plants with it, good luck

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

oh I see your picture now buddy I think that's an aphid too but I'm not sure @Seraphine likely be the one who would know what that was

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

hows it going @DoobieDon ? have you washed your plants with pure h2o and transplanted them yet? And have you looked into the peticide? I know you invested alot of money into your first grow, want to help you succeed.

Top Bottom