How often do you water

• Thread starter Money420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

Well. Once the clone or seedling goes in the 5 gallon pot the first several watering are 4 to 5 days apart. At rapid growth its every other day. And toward the end it becomes every third day. Then back down to once every 4 or 5 days. Take about 2 gallons per 5 gallon pot to get run off.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If that first seed has been sitting there like that for 2 weeks, my guess would be the roots are not getting oxygen. I would pull it and start over, unless this is some irreplaceable genetics.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Not sure if that’s an autoflower or not I know they say not to transplant but I can say after the run I’m on I’ll be doing solo up first then up potting from there to the 5 gallon, (I have 1 in a 2 gallon that it will stay in the full run just to see the difference in plant size ), I do agree with the above statement, if those have been above soil for 2 weeks already then something is very wrong, and if they are autoflowers they will most likely be some VERY small plants, might want to start a few new beans in some solo cups so you don’t get too far into seedlings that you will have to toss, at worst you can stick those outside in a week or 2 and let them fend for themselves

Have you been monitoring temp and humidity? And what are you watering with when you do water? Tap? RO?

HighRootz

HighRootz

From my experience.... Large, stock(bottom drainage only) plastic pots+seedlings= disaster. There are ways to finesse it but you have to be skilled grower to pull it off. 1st, I would drill holes about a quarter to halfway up the pot to prevent the roots from circling and eventually straggling herself. Next, I would fully saturate the soil until run off then let it air out a day or 2 before sowing bean. Plant bean about 1/4in-1/2in deep and let her bake til she pops. No watering for 1st week or so depending on temps/light intensity. Let her roots dig deep for food and water and she will have strong legs to stand on. You can also go the safe route and start in 2in peat pots and poke holes all around and thru the bottom. Once you see roots start to poke thru, plant directly into 5gal pot like this
Taken April 17
20220417 072914
20220502 133455
Taken May 2

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

This 907 blu genes was sagging pretty bad from overwatering. So I put her right up to the leds and said grow you cunt. And now look at her!
Also I swapped out the 2 flourescents for all 4 leds instead of the half and half combo. And yes leds beat the absolute fuck out of flourescent.

20220504 2051361
HighRootz

HighRootz

something like that. I dont know about a whole week with no water tho.
It would depend on environment, heat plays a role in water evaporation as well as low humidity. I'm just speaking from my experience, everyone's grow and grow styles will be different.
My seedlings in .75 gallon pots got saturated when planted and not again for 6 days.... but that is so dependant on your environment.
My seedling in a 5gal pot got saturated 2 days prior to to transplant and watered/fed about 5 days later. I could of went 3 more days but hit a heat spell in my area

Reactions: TSD
weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

I keep a fan blowing. Also I find if you overwater. Gently roll the cup around and push in on it here and there just to shift some dirt and re aerate everything. Seems to help

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

So I just transplanted that 907 and realized I forgot to put holes in the cup. That bitch was soldiering on in a bone stock solo cup. There was the tiniest bit of tan roots at the tips which had just begun circling the bottom. otherwise spectacular. I slapped the dirt and spread the roots back out a little bit and she's in a 2 gal. now.

if you plant it right and it's not a total runt they can put up with some abuse.

D

Dugplug

I'm using organic soil. I water the plant once yesterday and in a 5 gallon bucket. It once a day or once a day. Also it has been in the soil for 2 weeks and 1 day this one has been in dirt 2 weeks
You need to get yourself a spray bottle you are overwatering it. You need to use the spray bottle on them 3 ti.es a day for two weeks and then u can use your watering method but once every 3 to 4 days pick up your pot and feel the weight if it's light water it if it's still heavy don't. Which is every 3 to 4 days you'll see you can't go wrong doing it like this
Well. Once the clone or seedling goes in the 5 gallon pot the first several watering are 4 to 5 days apart. At rapid growth its every other day. And toward the end it becomes every third day. Then back down to once every 4 or 5 days. Take about 2 gallons per 5 gallon pot to get run off.
You need to use the weigh method pick up your plant and if it feels light you water it. Which is every 3 to 4 days

TSD

TSD

I never spay unless it’s a emergency
Yeah I know some so the spray thing with babies... I've done it in the past, put only for like 3 days and only under fluorescents... they really need moist soil all the way down and a dry period to develop strong roots.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

something like that. I dont know about a whole week with no water tho.
I have some young plants (37 days from seed) that I transferred from solo cups into 2 gallon black nursery pot containers on the 16th ----now 11 days with ZERO water !!!

They look fabulous. Better than any of my seedlings from my first two grows. I believe I'll be watering today (finally) it's been killing me to go this long.......but this long wait has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt----I have always been "over watering".

The beautiful roots I saw when I transplanted them were something I did not see the first two grows transplanting from solo's. I think due to my excessive spray bottle waterings---maybe the roots never had to go in search of water? and therefore never developed properly? they just sat there and lazily waited for the next 12 sprays :(

A fellow from another forum made a comment that stuck with me, so I tried it this grow (and still am now). He said to grab the solo cup by the edge and swing it back & forth. You'll be able to tell by feel if there is momentum in the cup (thus showing there was still some measure of moisture there). They needed so few waterings it blew my mind. Now that they are in these 2 gallon containers I've continued w/ that practice.....along with having made several holes in the nursery pots (to stick my moisture meter in to gauge and confirm).

100% I have ALWAYS overwatered. I insisted I didn't. I was so sure I didn't......but this experience with the 11 day wait tells me how wrong I was all this time. Also along with the overwatering I'm sure I also overfed. So far all I've used for nutrition is half dose pro-tekt silica, half dose clean kelp, and half dose growers recharge (watered in before the transplant)-- and a top dressing of neem cake and diamataceous earth (pest control reasons for the latter two). I'm in pretty good organic soil and it appears they have all they need?

I just top dressed the pots with worm castings and plan on finally watering today. I desperately want to use the hydrolyzed fish fertilizer I just received ....but damn, I don't think they even need it right now?

****BTW --I didn't mean to single out your comment---but I want to ensure new growers are aware that YES your plants surely can go longer than a whole week without water and be perfectly healthy plants. It's been rainy and humid here, which I believe is contributing to the slow consumption, so obviously we each have unique conditions to contend with :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom