How Often To Water When Trying To Get Seeds To Sprout From Soil?

• Thread starter giannid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

giannid

I germinated my seeds using the paper towel method. After seeing the tape root, I transplanted them to solo cups with a blend of 33% manure, FFHF, and perlite blend and put them under a light. Seeds went in less than an inch and I lightly watered them with spring water, maybe 4 or 5 sprays from a spray bottle. Also covered them with some sandwich bags to keep humidity in as it's dry in the house. They are under a light now.

How often should I water them waiting for them to pop through the surface? After they come through the dirt, how often should I water?

How soon after that can I transplant them to my 3 gallon fabric pots?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn’t water them again until the soil dries out. Don’t let it get completely dry but don’t let it stay wet either. They should pop through in just a day or two.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
When it outgrows the dimensions of the solo cups or the roots start to shoot from the bottom holes, you can transplant safely. Whichever is achieved first.

Since you covered with a sandwich bag they shouldn’t dry. After they peak thru the soil and shed their shells, remove the sandwich bag. Too much moisture leads to fungi and algea.

Sprays rarely move thru the soil, so i would just use a dropper till the solo cup feels a little heavier.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I just water an 18oz party cup with holes cut in the bottom to good runoff and after a day or two the tap rooted seedling emerges. Usually don’t need to water for 5 more days in my setup with t-5 flourescents.

I also fill the space created from the initial watering back up with fresh soil around the stretching seedling up to about a 1/4” from the cots or even a little closer. Then water to runoff again. But very gently with the new fragile roots under there.

All the buried part of the stem will grow roots for a better root ball and sturdier young plant.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Also I cover the cup with the cut off top of a plastic 16.9oz soda bottle and use that as a dome to help protect the emerging seedling. I leave the cap off. They really don’t need the high humidity and it will possibly damage them so when I see green leaves above the soil remove the dome.

G

giannid

Another experience grower recommended that mix of soil and I’m pretty sure he’s very experienced. The manure is in a bag and a compost blend. That’s what they’re in now and it’s too late to take them out. I’m just learning and this is my first indoor grow. For now, I’ll give them a couple of drops every other day.

How long should I wait till I fully saturate the soil until it runs out of the holes in the cup?

O

OGFrostyBudz

Moisture,Darkness & warmath 72 degrees to about 79 degrees,you can burn it ,and drown it,if you do to much at that stage. during Germination & seeds are in the and have not sprouted yet just make sure soil is moist FF HF soil has enough Micro nutrients to hold it just get use to PH your water to 6.2 or 6.4 alot of micro nutrients respond better in lower ph for soil the soil & Coyidons has enough to hold for two weeks be a very low feeding of calmag and Silca PPM to 300 to 400 than when you go into veg start slowly increasing nutrients but observing them learning when they are happy and sad you must master it also it depends upon strian & alot phenos within the striaan responds deferent so observation and patients is must in my books this is only my opinion,im preaching to Quier buddy. Good luck #FavorableGrowers
#GrowersChoiceSeeds#THCSeeds#MMJ
KC Chiefs Super Bowl Pow Wow Sessions..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I feed seedlings with a tablespoon. When the seedling sprouts and gets planted in dry soil, I water it with 2 tablespoons of water. Then I keep an eye on it, when it looks good and dry I add another 2 tablespoons of water.

This will usually go on for a week or two. Once they are drying up daily, I'll water the whole 2x2" pot.

Perception

Perception

Water when they start to go dry. Think of how deep the seed is, and then imagine a fragile tap root emerging. If it gets dry for even a few hours it’ll shrivel. So the trick is to keep it consistently wet without over saturating it. Damp, not soaking. If you over water, the seed will drown and/or you’ll get mold.

Only water when it starts to go dry. You can “top water” or mist to keep the top surface moist if there is still moisture weight in the bottom of the cup, and you don’t need to give a full drench. With a seedling pot that big, I’d use a mister to keep the surface of soil moist, without drowning it. (This is how i normally do it)

You might be a bit deep which will delay sprout. I usually go 1/4”.

Seed popping and the first 3 or 4 weeks is harder than most people let on. I always get a huge wave of relief when I do my first up pot to 1 gal pots.

Top Bottom