How Prisons Have Become A Cash Cow For The Rich

• Thread starter Storm Raven
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Storm Raven

Storm Raven

Prison phone contracts have become a major source of revenue for state and local governments.
By Thom Hartmann / AlterNet May 7, 2015

Rampant privatization is wreaking havoc on our society.

Case in point: what's happened over the past few decades with prison phone services.

It used to be that if you were incarcerated at, say, the state penitentiary or the local jail you could call your family collect for as little as $4 an hour.

But then, states began signing contracts with private phone companies like AT&T, who, in turn, began charging sky-high rates for phone calls between prisoners and their families.

A 15-minute phone call that used to cost just a few bucks soon started costing as much as $17, which is a lot to ask from people in jail and prison, who generally have little to no income or from their families, who often live in poverty.

Of course, while prisoners struggled to find a way to talk to their loved ones without breaking the bank, the phone companies got - and have stayed - very, very rich. The prison phone service industry now rakes in around $1.2 billion every year.

And it's not just the phone companies that are getting rich off prisoners' phone calls.

Thanks to so-called "commissions" that can account for as much as 94 percent of the cost of a call, prison phone contracts have become a major source of revenue for state and local governments all across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
These glorified kickbacks have also become a source of revenue for prisons themselves, and they use them to pay for the health care and food services they're already constitutionally required to provide.

In other words, like pretty much every other case of privatization over the past few decades, the rise of private prison phone contracts has nothing to do with "efficiency" or "improving services" and has everything do with making a quick buck for some crony capitalist with a bunch of Republican friends in Congress.

As Paul Wright of the Human Rights Defense Center told ThinkProgress,

"For decades, prisons and jails provided secure, cheap telephone services with no problems. They're perfectly capable of doing it. It's just that now they view prisoners as profit centers. They're monetizing human suffering and human captivity."

Luckily, though, the government is starting to take action against some of the worst excesses of the phone service-industrial complex.

In 2013, the FCC capped calls between prisoners and their out-of-state family members to no more than 25 cents per minute.

And this summer it's expected to crack down on the "commissions" system that's forcing prisoners to pay for their own imprisonment and helping state governments get rich of mass incarceration

Law enforcement, though, is having none of it.

The National Sheriffs' Association says that if the government cuts back on the kickbacks prisons get from prisoners' phone calls, they could just stop providing phone call services altogether.

This is a perfect example of everything that's wrong with privatization, especially the privatization of large public institutions. Like the powers to wage war, kill or draft, the power to imprison is among the most serious powers that our government holds.

The problem with privatization is that it creates a built-in incentive to abuse these powers, and prevents "We the People" from keeping tight control over the functions of our government.

Thanks to kickbacks from phone companies, state and local governments have every reason to keep their prison cells filled, no matter what the cost to the rest of society.

And when there's so much money to be made from exploiting prisoners, and that money then gets recycled back to the politicians as campaign contributions, it's that much harder to get our elected representatives to reform our screwed-up criminal legal system.

It's time to stop treating jails like cash cows. Call the FCC today and tell them you support their move to clamp down on the phone service-prison-industrial complex.

N

narleyharley

I've seen a few documentaries pertaining to this, how the independent companies make money off the state by holding more prisoners... Societys fucked, but revolutions comin!

N

narleyharley

Oh wait, I only skimmed that, lol it's about phones. Yeah, my girl is on probation and said she'd prob go through a grand for call time in a month

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Yet no mention of how stocks are publicly traded on Wallstreet with revenues being gained and stocks rising as inmate population rises.....all the mean while forced into hard labor for a couple cents an hour. It is the quintessential definition of slavery in all its glory. Now to add insult to injury here: "And this summer it's expected to crack down on the "commissions" system that's forcing prisoners to pay for their own imprisonment and helping state governments get rich of mass incarceration"

When will it be enough? When will the people finally say enough??...and contact the FCC to help do what? That's just another giant extension of the banking cabal not unlike the FDA etc, that has put us in this predicament anyways.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Oh don't get me started on this subject. Because I was an idiot I ended up doing 10 calender years in FL DOC. They were charging my family/friends ridiculous amounts of money for 15 min phone calls. Literally making it impossible for many people to communicate with their loved ones. It's a monopoly making millions off the backs of offenders families. It's disgraceful what we have become.

N

narleyharley

Amen.... What we have become. We did it together as society, and allowed it to happen. Which is the most disgraceful part. We just need society to overcome white man's disease, and the search for El Dorado. once greed is overcome, we can make a difference.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

Our government is gross people don't care though until it actually reaches them that's the problem. That phone issue is real though so is the cheap labor they get from inmates who work for like 2 dollars a day in the fire camps and manual labor camps. I've seen it in Ventura you can hire a CDF trained inmate fire crew for super cheap to come clear,haul, and grade your land. A lot of people doing that kind of work complain about illegal immigrants aka Mexicans but it's really the dirt cheap inmate labor crews they should fear (such a huge issue in Texas that even alex jones is talking about it) Prisons make money off all that visiting food vending, inmate canteen products aka store, etc etc it's a racket . That's why I laugh when people on IC want cannabis prisoners released it sounds good in principle but lets get real cannabis prisoners are a cash cow for the prison system (even if they just sit in a cell) not just in numbers they are in most cases non violent offenders that can work in your factory,fire crew, work release you name it I'm all for it but I'm skeptical that it will happen I just can't $ee it. Most likely the next move why go to Southeast Asia or India for cheap labor when you can use your massive inmate workforce here at home. They already had inmates working in customer service call centers here in Cdc/cya system in the 90s.

Last edited:
Storm Raven

Storm Raven

Oh don't get me started on this subject. Because I was an idiot I ended up doing 10 calender years in FL DOC. They were charging my family/friends ridiculous amounts of money for 15 min phone calls. Literally making it impossible for many people to communicate with their loved ones. It's a monopoly making millions off the backs of offenders families. It's disgraceful what we have become.

I did 6 years on a 10 year sentence as a first time offender in AL DOC for growing weed same thing in my state. Then DOC wonder why they have such a bad cell phone problem in our prison system.

N

narleyharley

I'm bout as white as it gets. The analogy between el dorado shows the Aztecs and Mayans called the lust for gold, the white man's disease. Which is tree. And what is most prevalent in society nowadays is gree. Lust and envy.

White man's disease is a term derived from the 1500s. Check your history bro.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I'm bout as white as it gets. The analogy between el dorado shows the Aztecs and Mayans called the lust for gold, the white man's disease. Which is tree. And what is most prevalent in society nowadays is gree. Lust and envy.

White man's disease is a term derived from the 1500s. Check your history bro.
"I like to base all my conversation skills on terms that are 400 years out of date." ,said no one ,ever.

organix4207

organix4207

This same shit is happening in Canada!!!
My friends daughter was in for a year and their months phone bill was over $800 dollars.....wtf
To put icing on the cake she has cancer and needs to stay in touch with people!!!
It's sickening up here guys , new mandatory minimum sentences for over 5 plants! !!! Privatized jails !!!!
this is all thanks to 2 terms of a hard conservative government!!
Fuck me it gets me going lol

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Damn bro 10 yrs is a huge chunk of life. Glad you made it through. And I complain about the 2 single days I was in jail:eek:

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

It does not just stop with the phone charges. The prison store industry in my state makes DOC a nice profit. They tag on a whopping 75% on all products sold in their state run "company" store.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

They really rape work release inmates in my state. I just got out of work release so I know. First they take tax all the income then they take 40% off the top. then they charge $50 a week for van rides, $50 a week for laundry service, $50 a week for sack lunches, and the only place you can spend you money is the prison store where they get 75% on all items. In most cases the state gets everything these inmates make and remember they no longer have the right to vote either..

In some cases where inmates have a part time job they can even end up owing the state at the end of the day for the privilege of a free world job.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

They really rape work release inmates in my state. I just got out of work release so I know. First they take tax all the income then they take 40% off the top. then they charge $50 a week for van rides, $50 a week for laundry service, $50 a week for sack lunches, and the only place you can spend you money is the prison store where they get 75% on all items. In most cases the state gets everything these inmates make and remember they no longer have the right to vote either..

In some cases where inmates have a part time job they can even end up owing the state at the end of the day for the privilege of a free world job

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this state sponsored slavery? Remember in my state some of these inmates are in for simple possession of marijuana.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
When I was in prison I worked for a private manufacturer making $7.99 an hour. The state and Feds raped my check, charging me 45% for room and board, 15% inmate tax, 15% victim tax.
Worked a few years making $250 a month and sending $170 of that home for child support.
When I got out I discovered that the state kept the money that was supposed to pay back the victims, or pay my restitution. And then I got sued in civil court. Judge dismissed the civil case when I was able to provide paycheck stubs showing the deductions in excess of what I owed. When official inquiry was made into where the money went, it went into state coffers and was never sent out.
So yeah I robbed some people and the state of Florida robbed me trying to pay them back.

Top Bottom