How the hell do you patent a strain?

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Somebody tell me how the fuck #10 works?!!!

How the hell do you patent a strain
azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Can you say Monsanto? It’s only a matter of time - and fuck no I can’t explain it or approve of it ! But they do it with beans and corn
Naaa I think they are reaching in their wording and not doing gene inserting but rather Plant cross patenting, think Better Boy tomatoes hybrid vs Beefsteak a Heriloom.. There will no doubt be litigation over this one thing US Govt patented. Can an illigal plant at the Federal Level be Patented under Federal Law? When rescheduling hopefully to a class 3 then certainly and a flood of patents will flow from the change of law.

This is happening in a quazi legal way from states first passing legalization here in the U.S anyway

Ponky

Ponky

Grant of a plant patent precludes others from asexually reproducing, selling, offering for sale, or using the patented plant or any of its parts in the United States or importing them into the United States. A plant patent is regarded as limited to one plant, or genome.Sept 22, 2017

Can't sell clones of it. But you breed it with anything else and it's yours now.

T

TwistedPistil

Look up CanBreed from Israel. The future is now.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't have a problem with genetic coding. I have a problem with the morals behind certain people's or companies' approaches to genetic coding.

Patenting a strain isn't something I have a problem with. It's when you try to tell people that because you have Skunk in your weed it's a violation of intellectual property rights because their patented strain has those genes or something, that's the moral issue. It's using what could be beneficial technological and scientific advancements, and instead if using it for good, it being used for terminator seed technology instead of other moral approaches.

Using genetic coding to create ideal homogenous dominant and homogenous recessive parental stock to then create truly identical f1 seed is fascinating to me. I would be all for companies patenting such strains. Just don't be cunts and sue people who use those strains to breed. And don't make sterile f1 seeds.

But in the world of profit, and plenty of cannabis growers are pretty much just as guilty of price gouging and hording strains and knowledge and tech and techniques, we all know Monsanto like megaliths will take the shit over eventually. Bastards.

But imagine them using the tech for not evil shit. Imagine stable homogenous parental stock, resistant to bugs, mildew, mold, bacterial infections, etc. Imagine breeding projects that could come from true homogenous parental stock. Imagine uniform F1 seeds. Pretty cool.

I also think sorting through some plants from some ridiculously unstable seeds is fun tho. Phenohunting. But cannabis has to catch up to some standards that other businesses have to adhere to. Half the seed companies and breeders are just as immoral as people making GM weed. Dudes slanging "stable" genetics with 20 fucking phenotypes.

We need stable genetics. So if the potheads and breeders aren't going to do the work to cube and square off traits and stabilize genetics to make them homogeneous, then guess who will? Big giant agricultural and agrotech companies. It's simple economics.

Why is there a market for GMO seeds? Yes, partially a possibility of patenting a genetic and suing everyone in the world and scandalously taking over the whole cannabis game. But there's also a market because our community has supported and sponsored the very bad breeding techniques and hype that created the real, entirely non-monetary, demand for stable genetics.

If GE doesn't have carcinogenic results, doesn't involve backdating intellectual property through the ancestry of the line, and doesn't aim to create steril genetics, then I'm all for it. And I know that's a very unpopular opinion.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I don't know but Sweet Seeds makes a plant called big devel and now crop king is selling there version, Mdanzig collaborated with Joint Dr and made a strain had a falling out , Joint Dr calls his blue Ryder, Mdanzig calls his blue streak same plant.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
we can makes billions of reproductive seeds and spread them to such an extent that there is no law enforcement big enough to stop us or even keep up....fcuk them
ok Mr. Emery. look how far the prince of pot got with that effort, or timothy leary with acid.

one can have big dreams and the best intentions but without a large scale, organized, concerted effort such realities will remain simple ideas.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
#10 would force me to mass produce beans for the people. That’s what I get out of it. Haha 😂

Top Bottom