How to address over watering

• Thread starter suckabusta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
suckabusta

suckabusta

There's a lot of information over watering and how to avoid it, but not a lot on what to do after youve already messed up.

These blueberry cupcakes were going absolutely swimmingly for 4 weeks until I majorly over watered them on January 20th.

The medium stayed moist until roughly yesterday, the 27th.

At what point do I water them again? I would like to reintroduce some microbes as I'm assuming the 8 or 9 dryback will kill a lot of the living soil

How to address over watering
Grower1974

Grower1974

You can’t over water in one session. You can only water too often. (Overwatering).

You should be fully saturating your substrate every time you water, but giving plenty of time inbetween waterings also.

suckabusta

suckabusta

You can’t over water in one session. You can only water too often. (Overwatering).

You should be fully saturating your substrate every time you water, but giving plenty of time inbetween waterings also.
So when do you think I should water? It's been 8 days since watering them to run off and the soil is dry, but they are still very droopy.

N

nicolajanjak

you can definitely overwater in soil when the plant is not well estaablished
if the water content of your soil gets too high, water will replace oxygen and your medium will start to get anaerobic (not good)
by their size i would not give more than half a liter of water per gallon of soil everytime you water
the pot must feel lighter when you lift it

do not keep it wet, and do not oversaturate the roots

Grower1974

Grower1974

So when do you think I should water? It's been 8 days since watering them to run off and the soil is dry, but they are still very droopy.
At that stage of growth, they are probably bone dry after 8 days LOL.

How light does the pot feel? No way they can go 8 days without almost completely drying out to the point, of not good.

suckabusta

suckabusta

At that stage of growth, they are probably bone dry after 8 days LOL.

How light does the pot feel? No way they can go 8 days without almost completely drying out to the point, of not good.
Soil was still moist as of 2 days ago. Pot is dry as of last night/today

N

nicolajanjak

it is too early to water to runoff
you must start slow and when the plants will drink everyday you will be able to water to runoff

dont make it bone dry neither

N

nicolajanjak

hard to tell without seeing the plants
ideally you want to let the soil take a good breath before watering again
this will keep it free from gnats and other nasties

when you judge the pots feel lighter, water half a liter of solution per plant

if it takes longer than two or tree days to need another watering, water less or optimize your climate to increase transpiration

N

nicolajanjak

you can imagine your medium as a sponge
you never want it neither soaked with water, or neither dryed out

just to keep it watered enough to give easy access to water for the plant, but not wet, because it will deprive roots fro oxygen

overly wet substrate will produce algae, bad fungi, gnats etc

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I water every 4th day like clockwork, There are A few things that come into play, ambient rh, post feed spikes airflow pot size plastic or fabric yadda yadda. If you have started to drown your plants, stop watering to runoff, or be diligent and dump any standing water from any over filled trays. Also,to identify a plant that needs feeding, a generally good way to approach things is to wait until your entire plant feels like it is the equivalent to styrofoam. Plants will get this light even before a dryback wilt occurs. Then feed. Increase airflow in the direction of your pots, be sure to rotate them every 8hrs or so until they are dried back. If In plastic, drill holes every 2inches or so all the way around the pot. Be smart when doing that though, don’t t sink the bit into the root ball. Stay shallow. Make a depth jig of some sort if you can’t control that. Hope this helps. 👊🏻🤡🏴‍☠️

I

imgrowing

let the girls dry out, then add a bit of water around the outside of the pot slowly,then have a puff or two and then water a bit closer to the middle,then have some more smoke. then water fully, and not to run off, only a few drips.
the 1 thing i've learned is never water to run off in soil unless you want root rot.
what i did with plastic pots was use a 1 inch spade bit and drill holes in them, like capt said. i did that before if planted though.

N

Natep

I use an eco wit moisture meter. When my moisture gets down to 35% I add water. I grow organic so I do not let my pots get dry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom