How to air seal a room?

• Thread starter Radio_Dread
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Radio_Dread

I was just wondering what would be the best way to have your grow room totally sealed off. Mine is in a bed room closet.

RD:smiley_joint:

S

smokester

You can seal them they work either way vents you can open or close i was looking at them last night just make sure you get alight proof one .some arent .a fellow grower has got one he loves it. vents every where some only have a couple.im gonna see what brand hes got .be back later.

R

Radio_Dread

sorry guys. i want to totally seal it up that the only air or co2 that is getting out of my grow area is the air that comes in and out of my exhaust in intake fans.

R

Radio_Dread

how does every say that they have an "air" seal room then?

B

bdawgburner

Most people's "sealed" rooms are just drywalled rooms where no air comes in or out other than what you are creating with intake and exhaust fans. The problem with tents is even though they close up, air still comes through the vents and the zipper and any small pin size holes it may have. Where a sealed room is literally sealed to outside air.

R

Radio_Dread

thanks b. so this would help with smell i take it if no air is getting out except what is vented thro the exhaust fan?

H

halfdef

hey radio dread,

I have the same set-up that you do. Bedroom closet (mostly) sealed, vented light-hoods, and intake and outtake vents. Bear in mind that my set-up is not 100% sealed. I have not coated the room in plastic or caulked the corners, etc.

What I did was put a small wood-frame around the exterior of the doorway, with 1" by 2" boards (very small) from floor to ceiling and over the top of the door, then I mounted panda plastic on that with a staple gun. At this point it is a solid sheet of plastic over the door frame. I then put a zipper down the middle. the zippers are easy to find and have tape around the sides, they just stick to the plastic. THEN AFTER THE ZIPPER IS ON!! I unzip it and using a razor cut the hole for the door. Just a simple cut under the zipper. If you cut the doorway first and then try to put the zipper on... well I`m told that it is not very fun... thankfully someone gave me the heads-up..

After this duct-tape the panda plastic to the frame. The only problem is trying to get the wires for the lights, fans, etc. in the room air-tight around the wood frame. But few set-ups are perfect.

there you have it.

archaicatoms

archaicatoms

Caulk and seal everything especially your cooling system(ie the inner working of a window unit, caulk and seal and paint black) and your door way. A regular house hold door can't be sealed IME, think hatch style door. Also keep positive and negative pressure in mind. I like neg. pressure in the flowering room. Oh, and windows are known for being leaky also. You can board or panda those up also.

R

Radio_Dread

ok so by caulkinf corners and putting up the panda paper should mostly seal off my grow room? thanks for your input guys. always helps

H

hbstoner

ok so by caulkinf corners and putting up the panda paper should mostly seal off my grow room? thanks for your input guys. always helps

Panda plastic really isnt going to do much in terms of sealing. Is the room drywalled? If so id just slap another layer of drywall mud in the corners to make sure they are totally sealed. As long as the room is all drywall then that is the easy part, the hard part is getting a door to seal totally.

R

Radio_Dread

yeah i bet the door is going to be a biotch. but yeah the closet is dry walled but it also has a layer of this fake board shit on top of that and due to not being able to do any kind of "re-modeling" i cant take that off the walls. the door is a double slidding door. its made of wood. one of those old style slide open closets. going to be impossible to totally seal it.

H

hbstoner

yeah i bet the door is going to be a biotch. but yeah the closet is dry walled but it also has a layer of this fake board shit on top of that and due to not being able to do any kind of "re-modeling" i cant take that off t walls. the door is a double slidding door. its made of wood. one of those old style slide open closets. going to be impossible to totally seal it.

Ya if i were you id just get a grow tent and run neg pressure. Smell will be gone and then you dont have to mess up your rental agreement. Renting can be a pain in the ass if you modify some closet and then the landlord wants to come in for a look around. Tents rule for renters.

W

waverunner_21

exactly, by sealed i think they mean that as there products are all generally going to be running with a negative pressure then then they are effectively sealed. if you want sealed like a spaceship/fridge kinda sealed then you want to get some sealing glue stuff like whats around the edges of a bath or somin .

H

halfdef

mmm, I`m curious to hear from anyone that has experience with this about

How much of a difference there is between a totally sealed (caulk, glue, dry wall mud, etc.) and the same set-up with only minimal (meaning only a few very small spots around the lighting cables) leaks around the door??

peace

D

dakin3d

I think you might be misinterpreting the meaning of a 'sealed room'.... It simply means that the grow room doesn't utilize any in/out vents for ANYTHING. The entire room is enclosed, using A/C to properly cool, some type of carbon filter/unit to kill odor, etc. It has nothing to do w/ 'sealing cracks in sheet rock'. That would be ideal, but it really isn't the point. If your going to be growing in a closet, you need not worry about a 'sealed room'. If your eluding to the fact that you like the idea of a 'sealed room' due to anticipation of odor issues, then as suggested previously, go w/ a tent and use a carbon filter w/ an inline fan, grab a couple cans of ozium for when you have to open, and get some weather stripping from Home Depot, Lowes, hardware store, etc for sealing your closet door. The base of the door will be the most difficult, but there are pieces of stripping that you can buy at the same place(s) as the weather stripping that will help. Good luck w/ your grow, bro. And FYI, you may know this, you may not... Don't initiate the process until your ready, b/c stain depending, they can stink it up during veg. Happy growing!

N

noone88

above poster is right. My understanding of "sealed room" is not using intake/exhaust to exchange air for CO2.

Ideally you don't even air cool the lights . You place your ballasts and reservoirs inside your room (I don't recommend that).

You use a minisplit AC which does not use air-exchange to cool the air. You have a CO2 generator to produce your CO2. Your plants will convert it to oxygen. You have a fan/carbon filter running 24/7 to scrub the air from any offending smells.

I've seen true "sealed room", like server rooms. You would have to build the room from scratch. Converting an existing residential room into a "sealed" room is next to impossible.

Top Bottom