How to check/adjust ph with dry fertilizer?

• Thread starter Fly_25
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fly_25

Fly_25

Definitely a noob question but how can I check and adjust the pH of the soil when I add dry fertilizer to the soil, then add the water? If I check ph of the runoff then it's too late to adjust the pH of the water. Thanks!

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Are you talking about like dry amendments? Why not mix what you feeding into the water then ph before feeding it the nut water. More info needed to be able to help out. Also when running soil most growers don’t even worry about ph.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Definitely a noob question but how can I check and adjust the pH of the soil when I add dry fertilizer to the soil, then add the water? If I check ph of the runoff then it's too late to adjust the pH of the water. Thanks!
You don't. You set the pH when you mix the soil and then forget it. It's very difficult to change without killing the plant.
You should not be watering to runoff in soil either, or feeding for that matter. What soil do you have?

Fly_25

Fly_25

I'm using worm castings, perlite and peat moss so it's not really an amended soil per say like ocean forest. That's why I will be using Gaia green dry fertilizer as per the instructions on the label. I know that ph is important, I would just like to know how others are regulating their ph when using dry fertilizer such as Gaia green.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm using worm castings, perlite and peat moss so it's not really an amended soil per say like ocean forest. That's why I will be using Gaia green dry fertilizer as per the instructions on the label. I know that ph is important, I would just like to know how others are regulating their ph when using dry fertilizer such as Gaia green.
Yeah you don't really. Other than maybe adding some dolomite lime and crushed oyster shell to your mix at the beginning to keep ph stable and add some alkalinity to counter the worm castings and other acidic nutrients. But you shouldn't really need to monitor or try to correct ph in a soil system if it was blended correctly. You can ph the water going in to around 6.5 or so, but no need to alter ph in the media. The microorganisms will create their own preferred environment if left to do their thing, and they do not like big ph swings from heavy handed growers trying to micromanage their working environment.

Madmax

Madmax

Shes a set n forget..ive never grown in soil only in dirt 😃

Fly_25

Fly_25

Thanks for your replies everyone! Just trying to learn from the pros as much as I can

Top Bottom