How to cut ventilation holes?

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

DIY people... I need to make a couple more ventilation holes in the wall....one 5" and another 8". What's the easiest way to do this? It's a plasterboard wall, insulation, more plasterboard, then wooden cladding on the outside, so I can't jigsaw a hole (and I don't have a jigsaw!).

H

herby

If you have to go through wooden cladding you will need a jigsaw for an 8" hole. If you just want to do a 4" hole you can get a hole saw for your drill and go through it with that. The sheetrock as well.

F

FastForward

If you have to go through wooden cladding you will need a jigsaw for an 8" hole. If you just want to do a 4" hole you can get a hole saw for your drill and go through it with that. The sheetrock as well.

Thanks...will see if I can get one tomorrow. I guess 4 x 4" close together will have to be good enough. The 6" one will probably stay a 5"...easier..

S

s4m

the first part of the wall take a serated blade to it "bread knife". Outside wood try useing a drill to bore series of holes round the diameter.

s4m.

D

DR. nick

interesting i was wondering how people did bigger tham the 4 inch hole...

s4m- your method sounds interesting please explain a bit more if you dont mind

leadplant

leadplant

s4m is on the right track.
drill a hole in the sheetrock
and then carve out a 4" hole
with any serrated thin knife.
be careful to avoid over pulverising
the sheetrock or you will have a 6 inch
hole.

For the wood, a skillsaw can sort of
make do if you dont have a jigsaw
by making a series of cuts across the hole
like a star pattern.
Otherwise drill a bunch of holes like s4m said.
The 4 inch hole saw would work great but theyre quite
expensive. Make sure there are no wires or pipes
in the way.

O

Octopus Sun

I'd go to the hardware store and buy a circle cutter, this is not the round drill saw baldes sold in mulit packs, a circle cutter is different, and is excellent for cutting large circles, and no jig saw is needed, just a drill.

R

RMCG

base_media

sedate

sedate

FastForward said:
DIY people

HomeDepot has one of those home improvement books that explains this really well with all kinds of walls and potential problems.

Pictures and tool recommendations, all that stuff.

I'd be very careful with this mod - do it right and don't skip on the supplies.

A simple hole saw thru multiple different building materials could present multiple obstacles here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom