how to dry and cure large quantities (Texas Kid, MPB'ers etc)

• Thread starter Xceptional
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

Xceptional

how do you cure your harvests when they are too large to use glass jars?

if you have never dont this please dont respond with what you think or heard will work. no offense but enough people on the farm have done it that regurgitated info that isn't tested by the poster isn't needed. feel free to post links to threads or posts regarding this topic from someone who is speaking from experience!

I'm looking for the Texas Kid, MPB growers etc that are pulling down lbs and when you pull 10 lbs 160 jars doesn't sound feasible at all.

sedate

sedate

xceptional said:

Terrible problem you have there X. Just terrible.

sky high

sky high

Dunno what others do....but I use either large turkey baking bags or a double set of "contractor" trash bags to allow those slightly >larger< quantities to dry.

I hang it till it snaps...then carefully put it in the bag and seal it up. the next day I open it and start the daily process of opening/closing (and carefully turning the bag over until the moisture level is where i want it to be. (just like a jarring process)

As long as you don't haul the bags around and fug with them you won't lose much stiicky on the bag.

storage.....5 gallon bucket w/lid..... large glass jars.....etc. Bags at a LAST resort.

lookin forward to a better way someone else may have...but for grabbing shit you may already have on hand at home...this was the best >>I<< could come up with and it has worked OK for me.

good luck

s h

C

cheyenne

like the other guy i hang to dry till it snaps then i use big plastic rubber maid totes w a bunch of holes drilled in the top and sides for ventilation.

Z

zoeronerer

if you have never dont this please dont respond with what you think or heard will work. no offense but enough people on the farm have done it that regurgitated info that isn't tested by the poster isn't needed. feel free to post links to threads or posts regarding this topic from someone who is speaking from experience!

I'm looking for the Texas Kid, MPB growers etc that are pulling down lbs and when you pull 10 lbs 160 jars doesn't sound feasible at all.

you can also use a canning machine but you have to be exact on how dry everything is because you cant open them ... the paint cans work great ...

the turkey bags leak they work but you still get moisture exchange .. i live in a rainforest i used to live in a desert so i always seal up real tight ..

the other option is to go to the container store of ikea and but the large flip lid jars they are like $10 and fit a half pound give or take ..... i use those they look really nice and well you only need 20 of em .. if you pulled 10lbs go buy some you will have em forever.... look around on clist in your area i have found large numbers of jars for cheap...

these methods are solid .......

if you are a real g pack with nitrogen the pot will keep an extra year to 8 months because the oxy wont degrade the thc..... if you have a large amount believe me you may want to look into this .....

have fun trimming ... dont call the hippy chicks, you dont need their help.....

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
I put them in 2.5 gallon tuperwares they fit almost a pound then you can burp them for a few weeks till its cured. really easy and it doesnt fuck up your herb like bags do.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Tell ya what...I'd be asking those outdoor growers that are harvesting huge amounts at harvest time...they'll have your answer for sure.

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

Montana Jars... You can find them online all over...

2.5 gallons... Depending on the strain, each jar can hold 2lbs no problem...

You also asked about drying but not sure what your question is... Kinda depends on the space you have available and whether you prefer a wet or dry trim...

Although if you're using a trimmer it has to be wet, and then you're just puttin the shit on drying racks... <50% RH and good air flow... What's the problem?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
you aint got no 10 lbs...who you kiddin!

but id be careful of packing a 1/2 lbs into a jar as im sure it will squish the bottom buds. lol a bunch fo them big cheese ball containers. im sure they are only like 5 bucks each and they come full of cheese balls!

Z

zoeronerer

im not stuffing em they will fit a hp pretty loose ....

that cheese ball smell is hard to wash out tho lol.......

might smell good with that c99 u got twisty

S

SomeoneYouKnow

This thread has a few good suggestions as well :

Hope it Helps

SYK

X

Xceptional

you aint got no 10 lbs...who you kiddin!

but id be careful of packing a 1/2 lbs into a jar as im sure it will squish the bottom buds. lol a bunch fo them big cheese ball containers. im sure they are only like 5 bucks each and they come full of cheese balls!

hahaha twist i was just about to correct that because after reading the responses i saw a few people read it that way. i used 10lbs as a reference to say i knew no one was using 160+ jars so they have to have some other solution and i want to know what it is. my bad i was not trying to insinuate that i pulled 10lbs you know i shoot straight Twist i dont front online when my plants are all fucked up i say they are all fucked up and show pics and ask for help and have shown my room way to many times to act as if i pulled 10lbs out of 3k besides i dont need internet the rep lol.

to clear the confusion i had 3k burning my last harvest and this new run will be 4k. also my partner and will probably be damn close to same schedule next rip and that will be 8k in total harvesting so I'm looking for the solution to this issue now as I'd like to test it on this 3k harvest that is NOT 10lbs (i wish)

F

farmerjohn

3K is not to be sneezed @, since it's 6.6 lbs! Here'a an idea for runs of that general size, & it's a cheap fix.:pimp:

Go to your local Farmer's Supply & look for the 1/2gallon or one gallon canning jars. You can get a dozen on sale for about $8.00-$10.00. Twelve of these big bastards will hold a hell of a lot of bud & they can be stored in the kitchen cabinets or back in the box they came in & tossed into a corner!:harvest::harvest::harvest:

M

mrdizzle

I dont get too crazy, I let them dry until all little buds and medium sized buds are bone dry and the biggest buds still some moisture. portion it out into turkey bags and I open 5times a day. Usually after 2 days of doing this the moisture is sucked up by the dry oncea and everything is nice and dry. I open once a day for 2 weeks after that and they are gravy

X

Xceptional

i appreciate all the info Farmers seriously i do! I'm going to be grabbing some of the pet supply jugs if my local Wal Mart has them if not its to the turkey bags because i dont want to even deal with glass it just seems like a pain in the ass i hated jars before and i will hate them now i dont like opening all those damn things and then the lids fall out the rims etc.

as for drying i was wondering how many people were hanging bud or if they were using racks and if racks how much really can one of those circular multi tiered racks hold. i guess i should just ask Jack after seeing his harvest pics of his 30 k room he had one filled to the brim so i'm sure he has a good idea of what they can hold.

X

Xceptional

3K is not to be sneezed @, since it's 6.6 lbs!

yeah i know bro which is why it would have been stupid for me to front and try and boost just a little more what i have is impressive enough for me to me. i may not be Texas Kid but i got alot of hard earned coin into this operation I'm proud of what i got. i just wanted to make sure no one though i was one of them dudes that comes online making up all kinda shit about what i got. i really wasn't trying to down play my setup i kinda like her :). Now Twist can vouch that that's what i am running that's for sure which is why he responded the way he did lol.

30 site Ebb and Grow under 3 Magnum XXXL hoods holding 1k horti bulbs and Lumatek ballasts(2) and one Sun10 magnetic 1k ballast.
I have a Home Box XL tent for mom's/soiless veg as well with 400w MH. it puts out enough that i dont want to use jars :)

LIGHTS
BUCKETS 44
Full cloner 3710
P

pikes peak 69

Sweater drying racks work real nice. They stack and hold about 8-10 oz. each.

pp69

P

pikes peak 69

Also forgot to mention. I use humidity packs made for humidors to dial in the proper RH.

Top Bottom